CO ($66.72)
      Hero ($30.01)

Dealt to Hero A:club: T:club:

fold, fold, CO raises to $1, Hero calls $1, fold, fold

FLOP ($2.35) J:club: 4:diamond: 7:club:

CO bets $1.68, Hero raises to $4, CO raises to $10.68, Hero calls $6.68

TURN ($23.71) J:club: 4:diamond: 7:club: 9:club:

CO bets $22.53, Hero calls $18.33 (AI)

I feel like I did this wrong, it's a pretty standard call pre/call flop right? I should probably be folding to his 3bet too even though it's small
  • 2 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Preflop calling is fine but also 3betting is a good option depending on who's behind and how CO reacts to 3bets.

As played, on the flop it makes more sense to call since you represent a wider range. You can have middle pair, top pair, all kind of flush draws, ocassionally you can have a set and you could also have air. Very wide range when you call. When you raise you rep sets aaaaand.. well... bluffs... Do you raise AJ for value? QQ+? My guess is not... If you raise your NFD on the flop you should shove over his 3bet. You have about 40% equity against his range, maybe a bit less but there's already loads of dead money.

If you raise/fold NFD here you are just wasting a great hand. Raise gutshot (89, T9), maybe AQ with one :club: , heck, even a low pair like 22 is better turned into a bluff here because you might make him fold 7x, 88, 99, TT and you don't care if you get 3bet on the flop. For raising 22 you need to know whether he cbets polarized/depolarized. If he cbets all hands (so like 75%+) you can raise all hands that can't stand heat on turn and have close to no showdown value and float equity hands/showdown value hands. It depends on what dynamic you have and could go discussing about cbetting for pages but it's neither the time nor place...

Calling 3bet is also bad because you have to fold everytime you miss.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

you have some showdown value with AT high, but I generally also like raising on the flop but I would not flat, but rather shove there.
      You´re still going to miss turn a lot of times and if he shoves you´re not at the best spot, if you shove yourself on the flop he has to fold all his air (he may easily try to rebluff you 66/AK since he can´t really call), get all-in all the worst draws 5c6c, 9c8c, KcXc or even if he has QQ/KK, you still has 50% equity.

Nut flushdraws are always nice to balance your flop raising range (if you were only raised by sets or two pairs, then it is very easy decision him to bet/fold unless he has higher set) and usually you have there around 45% equity, so if you add a lot of fold equity then raising flop should be mandatory play most of the times.

Best regards,