[NL2-NL10] NL4; A9o 3Bet

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $1.43 (35.8 bb)
      CO: $4 (100 bb)
      BTN: $1.19 (29.7 bb)
      SB: $4.13 (103.3 bb)
      Hero (BB): $9.30 (232.5 bb)
      UTG: $8.91 (222.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9 A
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.16, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.48, CO calls $0.32

Flop: ($0.98) 5 4 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.73, CO calls $0.73

Turn: ($2.44) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $8.09 and is all-in, CO calls $2.79 and is all-in

River: ($8.02) 8 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: $8.02 pot ($0.53 rake)
      Final Board: 5 4 9 3 8
      CO showed Q Q and lost (-$4 net)
      Hero mucked 9 A and won $7.49 ($3.49 net)

Opponent's stats: VP/PFR/AF/StealfromCO/Foldto3Bet/WTS/hands
      20/15/0.9/38/60(5)/33/174

Preflop: A bad choice that I made because I was low on time and under pressure. Probably a call, right?

Postflop: This is where I am lost. Rather completely lost. I estimate my opponent's range to be somewhere around AQ+ JJ+. Thus maybe it would make sense to just simply check/call once and reevaluate the turn? I see no weaker hand calling me on the flop as neither do I see a weaker hand 2nd barelling on a blank turn card.
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Preflop: What's your plan with the 3bet here? :) You doing it for value or what? For example I can't really see him Calling with a lot worse Ax hands. Therefore you are just putting yourself into trouble. Don't like the 3bet at all and most likely I would just let him have the pot, not much of room to play around with him postflop.

As played
      Postflop: With your play I don't really see a lot worse hands paying us. Most likely at some point I might even Check and this might even be on a spot as on turn. And vs his stack we are never planning to fold anyways if you went for 3bet. :)

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      1) Can we not call preflop? Villain has a low AF factor and probably is not cBetting that much against us. We can take quite a number of stabs on the turn.

2) Let's say I realize on the flop that my 3Bet preflop was a bad choice. Given that realization do I still have to go broke postflop on this board?

3) If we choose to check on the flop, what line would you suggest against a cBet?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1) Can we not call preflop? Villain has a low AF factor and probably is not cBetting that much against us. We can take quite a number of stabs on the turn.

Well, he has WTSD very high. :) So we might not even capable of overplaying him. Plus we are OOP. If you think he is only CBetting with made hands then you might even flat but only then if you also expect him to have a very wide stealing range. For example put A9o into equilab and take a look what kind of stealing range you would need to play it profitable but also take into account that he could easily be CBetting some boards and on some we might even want to fight back.

2) Let's say I realize on the flop that my 3Bet preflop was a bad choice. Given that realization do I still have to go broke postflop on this board?

Well, I don't really see how I can get away with TP+nutFD+backdoor_GS and maybe even overcard as a out + of course his wide range which could have even worse hands and maybe even worse 9x as like T9.

3) If we choose to check on the flop, what line would you suggest against a cBet?

You mean if we would just Call preflop? And then he would be CBetting. Then of course I would just Check/Call and keep his range wide and maybe even weaker hands in the play.
      Bronze

By this I meant to ask about this particular situation where I 3bet and the board gives me TPTK + FD. Do you suggest to play ch/c once?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Then he ain't CBetting, he is just betting.

About either to Check/Call it or not it's dependent on the opponent, against aggressive ones we might even pick Check/Call and let them bluff with worse. But meanwhile vs passive opponents we could easily Bet the flop and Check the turn to let him bet with weaker holdings or maybe even see Check behind and then reevaluate further actions.