How to cure my addiction to all this?

• 15 replies
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      Have you tried quitting already? If so, what happened? If you started playing again, why? What can you do about it?

I'm not a professional ... in any area really, but if you're having a problem with gambling addiction theres lots of resources out there. Find someone good that knows what they're talking about.

Tommy Angelo has a good video on "right quitting." He's a poker coach though.
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pppppp555555
      How to cure my addiction to all this?
      U gave me answers and hellp how to play, now pls hellp me to quit all this.
      To online poker.. sell your computer.
      To online poker.. message all poker sites to ban your IP
      To Gambling in general.. there are hundreds of places that will help.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey pppppp555555,

We may be able to help a bit better if you tell us a little more about your addiction, such as datsmahname's questions.

You can always contact the Poker Rooms you're at and tell them to block, close or delete your account, which Poker Rooms are you currently at?

You may also wish to visit http://www.gambleaware.co.uk/
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      thx Matt, wow that site is spiffy. :)

You know, I've struggled myself. Not with addiction, but one thing that prevented me from seeking help was that I didn't feel my problems were "big enough" to justify making phone calls (etc). I only bring this up because it was a huge barrier for getting the ball rolling.

When I made it a clear goal to solve my own problems it was only natural to use the best tools available.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Yeah, Its usually at the bottom of most gambling sites :D

Another suggestion if you wish to continue playing Poker is setting up a Deposit Limit of X per Week / X per Month. For example, You can only deposit $50 per week but you cannot go over $100 in a month. This way you can control your Bankroll but still enjoy some games as a Hobbie.
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      or play with play money. Recreational play using play money was fun for me. Thats all I did for maybe 1yr.

If you need to wager money to enjoy poker then to me this seems like a gambling problem.. but theres perhaps some fine lines.
    • Svarthjalmar
      Svarthjalmar
      Bronze
      If overspending is the problem, there's also great software that I love to use to practice, called Poker Academy. It's a little more poker than the play money tables.

But if you have an addiction, get help. Playing with play money or whatever would probably never substitute, because gambling addiction has nothing to do with the game, but rather with the risk, and it's a serious thing.
    • 1984ioc
      1984ioc
      Bronze
      No idea how serious you're problem is but you should probably find someone you trust and can talk to about it,if possible a family member as they will have your best interests at heart.As Spungeh mentioned getting rid of access to a computer should be one of your first priorities.Good luck man and do take people's advice.
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      lol easy brah..get a job, finish school or uni..go out with friends...play other games( ps3...)
    • XxMatadorExX
      XxMatadorExX
      Silver
      Is he still alive? LoL
    • onmybike
      onmybike
      Black
      Originally posted by XxMatadorExX
      Is he still alive? LoL
      He found an easy way to quit poker... Quit live :facepalm:
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by onmybike
      Originally posted by XxMatadorExX
      Is he still alive? LoL
      He found an easy way to quit poker... Quit live :facepalm:
      LOL! cold...
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Perhaps he thought the best option was to block himself for all things Poker, so he hasn't visited us :(

Either way, lets hope he is doing well with his addiction !
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Maybe like some of us he found a 'partner' who's cured him by being so damned expensive he has nothing left to play with, like mine is! :rolleyes:

I do hope all is well though, it's easy top mock from the outside.
    • pppppp555555
      pppppp555555
      Bronze
      1 week gone out of all of this poker stuff. Untill this morning got second 50 bux free no deposit bonus to 770 poker from PS. already had acc there so will be unable to use it. Maybe good because now I am working on term paper about "Recreational online poker players motivation" hope after this job will be done I will use that advice to ban my nickname from few poker sites and will find harmony with all that stuff.