What seat to pick in a SNG?

• inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      We were talking with my sweat buddy and it turned out we have two different strategies if it comes to choosing where to sit on Party poker 9mans.

I sit as far from Regs as I can and as close to fish as I can. My justification is that I don't want to be getting involved with Regs since their ranges are more likely to be correct than not. I sit close to fish, on the other hand, because their ranges are more likely to be incorrect, i.e. too loose/too tight across situations.

His strategy is sitting on the right of Regs, because they'll - on average - be exploitable during the bubble. He doesn't want to sit close to fish (or more generally players who call wide), because they stop him from shoving a wide range BvB, BTN, etc.

Party has got a very cruel blind structure, they go up very quick and you very often find yourself fighting for life (flipping) near the bubble. What is the optimal seating strategy for such blind structure, and in general?
  • 5 replies
    • mancikaa
      mancikaa
      Bronze
      I tend to make also what your buddy makes, cuz fishy players really call very light and show up with unexpected hands sometimes. Actually this is what in theory would be optimal, but it can be also tilting kinda much, and you also has to adjust the range (just like your friend says), but for me it means I maybe miss spots where I could shove easily vs. a tight or reg, but would not do it against a player who plays way to many hands. Some also tend to call wierd things if you start to abuse them in the bubble becuase they take it personal that you always go all in to their blinds (obv no idea about how to play an sng...) But there are some weaker players who tighten up close to bubble because they want to fold themselves into the money somehow, so this is worth to note.

I like to keep the initiative for myself and be the one who shoves a lot instead of calling. Picking up the dead money has more +ev than calling a marginal hand vs. a reg oop and hoping that you are good. And I think it also forces you to learn the pushing ranges good, if you know you will shove vs. players, who know how to call.
    • petersveter
      petersveter
      Bronze
      good topic to discuss,

Also, what do you guys think of missing some marginal +EV shoving spots from the SB in order to have a tighter image and higher fold equity in the eye of a recreational player, when the blinds get higher( on PartyPoker thats 3min so really quickly)?
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, inlovewithamsterdam

My personal approach will be to sit on the left side of a reg and on the right side of a fish if I have to choose between these two. Reason for that is-we have position on regs, we give them hard time pushing a wide range in late game, we can also re-steal wider, 3bet as a bluff etc. When we have fishes on your left, we don't care that much about the position disadvantage + we gain many chips imo due to the fact that we can shove much liter on them in the late game. They are also less likely to 3bet or re-steal a lot.
    • inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kurrkabin
      Hi, inlovewithamsterdam

My personal approach will be to sit on the left side of a reg and on the right side of a fish if I have to choose between these two. Reason for that is-we have position on regs, we give them hard time pushing a wide range in late game, we can also re-steal wider, 3bet as a bluff etc. When we have fishes on your left, we don't care that much about the position disadvantage + we gain many chips imo due to the fact that we can shove much liter on them in the late game. They are also less likely to 3bet or re-steal a lot.
      Thanks for the reply.

What about choosing between a) sitting far across the table from the Reg and surrounding yourself with unknowns (most likely fish on Party) b) sitting to the left of the Reg? Which would be more profitable in your opinion in those fast, cruel structures that Party has?
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by inlovewithamsterdam
      Thanks for the reply.

What about choosing between a) sitting far across the table from the Reg and surrounding yourself with unknowns (most likely fish on Party) b) sitting to the left of the Reg? Which would be more profitable in your opinion in those fast, cruel structures that Party has?

Hmm, being surrounded by fishes seems good to me! I think I pick this one up.

They don't steal as much as a reg will, they make huge mistakes postflop, they won't shove as much on your blinds in the late game, we, on the other hand, can shove much wider on them as they have more "static" calling range. Just make sure that you make the right adjustments in your re-stealing and stealing range. Also, I will keep in mind that a fish might be willing to make stupid calls on the bubble, so if, say, me and the fish on our left are the 2 big stacks(10bb eff) and there are 2 other shorties, I much rather fold a hand like J3o f.e. (where I will be pushing clearly any 2 vs a reg) since the fish most likely won't be able to fold hands like 44+, A7o, KQ, KTs etc. Especially if you've been aggro abusing the bubble/his Blind quite a bit.