trying to learn maniac SH

• 6 replies
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Here's a tip.

Don't.

Play the TAG style you learn @ PS, maniac style does NOT work vs anyone with a WTS > 40 which is 70% of players up to 1-2$ and when you get past that it's highly exploitable by TAG's if they adjust to you. It is possible to be looser and have a more LAG style maybe you play more hands preflop etc. but you have to have a lot of experience and excellent hand reading + postflop abilities etc.
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      Do you mean tips on how to play against maniacs, or how to be one?

If you want to be one just raise 60% of your hands preflop and keep clicking the bet/raise button. Every now and again fold preflop for no apparent reason.
    • ajfonso
      ajfonso
      Bronze
      EDIT:: I thought this was NLHE sry... I gues limit this style is not playable against fishies... because of betting structure....

There were times I played 38/36/3 on 10NL and it was really profitable but the swings were huge. I went like 30 up 28 down 60 up 30 down etc but it was really fun and if I remember correctly I had a winrate of about 12ptbb/100. But thing is... It only works when you are really playing a good game. If you start to tilt, even get tired and lose a focus on the table you start to loose dramatically. I mean I only played max 2 tables while doing so and even then getting tired ment losing. Thing is, that if you raise so loose you have to fire a lot of flops and turns and even sometimes rivers with air because of what terrorblade said. People on the lowstakes call down light (but only if the ammount of money bet is not too high!!).

It is really fun and very good for developing postflop skills because you get to play with so many different hands!!

If you play shorthanded I can give a few directions.

UTG and MP still are the tight positions. I raise

22+
      98s+
      KT+
      QT+

I mean this is even very loose but one thing is sure and that is that if people call to much when you do not have position you will definately have a much much lower winrate because you just start losing in those spots. Against fishes these hands above play very nice so these are my standarts.

From CO and D I start to raise about anything except all real crap hands like 62, 84o n stuff but I almost raise any suited hand.

I raise very loose when I can isolate one limper. If it becomes more than one I start to raise a little bit tighter because my edge decreases very much when Im in a three handed way postflop.

about raising size:

I raise only 3bb this is because I try to take down lots of small pots and with 3bb this is just perfect. The difference with 4BB is sooooo huge!!

Try not to bet any flop. You really have to check out the textures. In my case I only betted like 45% of all flops and in many cases delayed my cbet to the turns.

You should know that with this style one thing is sure and that is that you do not want to be calling raises without a hand. I raise anythin if there are only limpers but Im very carefull when there is a raiser. Also I do not like to 3-bet much with this style. When I 3-bet I do it with a hand because people will not give you any respect!

The last things I want to add are these:

Drop down 2 stakes if possible just to get the feeling. If you loose you wont lose as much as you would have done on your regular stake

the seccond thing I want to mention is that this style is a recreative style or learning style. I do not advetise this style because I think a TAG style will be the best in the long run. After all we are all humans and handling emotions is really hard at times. Playing TAG gives you some kind of trust because it is really simple to see if you're just running bad or if your game sux. Playing maniac is just really hard to see if either you play bad or it is just variance. Because variance comes out in the form of people reraising or calling to much at times and in upswing folding everything...

Anyway good luck and have fun. (Do not do it too often and keep your TAGlike game as your standard one!!!!)
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      This is fixed limit, not no limit. You can't just drive people out of the pot with any two crappy cards, more often than not you need hands with showdown value.
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Yeah pretty much 1% of your post is applicable to NL lol.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I think I can close here as he posted in the NL forum as well. ;)