• 16 replies
    • Backcushion
      Backcushion
      Bronze
      yes,raise and bet every hand
    • sismis
      sismis
      Bronze
      maniac is not winning strategy, you can only use it for couple of minutes. even LAG can be difficult if there are good players around you. so i suggest you dont learn it.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Maniac style does not pay out. Stick to a tag-style. It´s the best way to become a winning player.

best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • arjun2001
      arjun2001
      Bronze
      fold good hands, raise with weak hands, move all in with Ax, and move all in with 27os. The profits will pour like rain!
    • ajfonso
      ajfonso
      Bronze
      There were times I played 38/36/3 on 10NL and it was really profitable but the swings were huge. I went like 30 up 28 down 60 up 30 down etc but it was really fun and if I remember correctly I had a winrate of about 12ptbb/100. But thing is... It only works when you are really playing a good game. If you start to tilt, even get tired and lose a focus on the table you start to loose dramatically. I mean I only played max 2 tables while doing so and even then getting tired ment losing. Thing is, that if you raise so loose you have to fire a lot of flops and turns and even sometimes rivers with air because of what terrorblade said. People on the lowstakes call down light (but only if the ammount of money bet is not too high!!).

It is really fun and very good for developing postflop skills because you get to play with so many different hands!!

If you play shorthanded I can give a few directions.

UTG and MP still are the tight positions. I raise

22+
      98s+
      KT+
      QT+

I mean this is even very loose but one thing is sure and that is that if people call to much when you do not have position you will definately have a much much lower winrate because you just start losing in those spots. Against fishes these hands above play very nice so these are my standarts.

From CO and D I start to raise about anything except all real crap hands like 62, 84o n stuff but I almost raise any suited hand.

I raise very loose when I can isolate one limper. If it becomes more than one I start to raise a little bit tighter because my edge decreases very much when Im in a three handed way postflop.

about raising size:

I raise only 3bb this is because I try to take down lots of small pots and with 3bb this is just perfect. The difference with 4BB is sooooo huge!!

Try not to bet any flop. You really have to check out the textures. In my case I only betted like 45% of all flops and in many cases delayed my cbet to the turns.

You should know that with this style one thing is sure and that is that you do not want to be calling raises without a hand. I raise anythin if there are only limpers but Im very carefull when there is a raiser. Also I do not like to 3-bet much with this style. When I 3-bet I do it with a hand because people will not give you any respect!

The last things I want to add are these:

Drop down 2 stakes if possible just to get the feeling. If you loose you wont lose as much as you would have done on your regular stake

the seccond thing I want to mention is that this style is a recreative style or learning style. I do not advetise this style because I think a TAG style will be the best in the long run. After all we are all humans and handling emotions is really hard at times. Playing TAG gives you some kind of trust because it is really simple to see if you're just running bad or if your game sux. Playing maniac is just really hard to see if either you play bad or it is just variance. Because variance comes out in the form of people reraising or calling to much at times and in upswing folding everything...

Anyway good luck and have fun. (Do not do it too often and keep your TAGlike game as your standard one!!!! )
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      A maniacal style is far from optimal in low stakes, just stick to TAG.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ajfonso
      There were times I played 38/36/3 on 10NL and it was really profitable but the swings were huge. I went like 30 up 28 down 60 up 30 down etc but it was really fun and if I remember correctly I had a winrate of about 12ptbb/100.
      [ ] sustainable

lol @ maniacal play being profitable at NL10
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ajfonso
      There were times I played 38/36/3 on 10NL and it was really profitable but the swings were huge. I went like 30 up 28 down 60 up 30 down etc but it was really fun and if I remember correctly I had a winrate of about 12ptbb/100.
      [x] baby jesus cried
    • dirtyibis
      dirtyibis
      Bronze
      The thing about playing maniacally is just that... youre a maniac and maniacs dont win out. You can definitely play a LAG style against previously unknown opponents with solid stats to make them think you're a maniac. I'll do this at NL100 6 max or what not and come out shooting from the hip to get action. But I've learnt to do this and every decision you make can be very difficult when you play lots of hands aggressively. Why can this be profitable? Because you never get credit for your big hands and stack the solid TAGs coming at you. The ones that will commit pre with JJ or commit on the flop with TPTK or pay you off any time you make your set which is reasonable against a maniac. But you're not a maniac, you just look like it, you know how to fold. Stack them and run away, or stay if you can manage a big stack very effectively. I seriously recommend learning to play loosely and aggressively only when you feel like you have a solid tight aggressive style, and only when it is profitable to do so. For example, I will never play a loose aggressive style at full ring 10 tables because it never seems to be profitable enough for me
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      I agree with dirtyibis. First of all learn the tag style. Later, on higher limits with enough experience you can try to switch to lag style. But always be capable of switching between both styles.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • ajfonso
      ajfonso
      Bronze
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Nice winnings, but no samplesize.
      1 one 1 means, that he played heads up, wich is a totally different game.
      Such a style and the winnings are not sustainable at all. I would advise against playing such a style.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      hahahahaha you're comparing high to nosebleed stakes HU and 6-max with NL10 :D
      Also, MUCKEMSAYUHH is a very good player, not a beginner at teh unlimited holding thems
    • hova
      hova
      Bronze
      Playing over 26vpip vs better opponents is too easy to exploit. If you are not getting payed off on high stakes, because your opponents know you are playing straightforward TAG and mostly valuebetting, you might want to get a crazy image over a short term and then switch gears. They will notice you are playing maniacly, will adapt in order to exploit you in the upfollowing spots by bluffcatching or check/raising your bets with air, but if you shift back to valuepoker in the right time they will try to call you down light while you are actually valuebetting good hands. That's the whole reason why one would play >26vpip.

Also if you want to improve on a higher level, lets say you play 1k NL 6max and you are a slight winning player you might want to step down to 2/4, 3/6 NL and open every button or cut-off and abuse position, constantly putting yourself in really shitty spots. That way you will improve your handreading and overall play. Since you're going to play alot of pots, you will get a better feeling for why balancing is necessary and how to mix up your game. During those Sessions where you play out of line you are probably playing slightly -ev but still better than the average postflop, because you moved down from 1k NL. It will help your overall game though.

Both reasonings are not necessary on low-midstakes. You will get yourself into alot of trouble.
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      Originally posted by swissmoumout
      hahahahaha you're comparing high to nosebleed stakes HU and 6-max with NL10 :D
      Also, MUCKEMSAYUHH is a very good player, not a beginner at teh unlimited holding thems
      it is actually quite close, only HSNLers know why they're doing what they're doing, :D

and yes cts is quite teh ownage, he is sick good
    • Corrupted666
      Corrupted666
      Bronze
      I actually prefer loose-aggressive at low stakes compared to SSS, fair do's people consider SSS profitable and all but when playing such low stakes the majority of people play any 2 cards. If you stick to SSS 100% i think it makes you way too predictable.I'm not really an experienced online player but thats just my opinion.