Weak pair becomes two pair on flop

• Gnillperker
      Gnillperker
      Bronze
      Hi!

I'm unsure how to play this hand as the SHC doesn't say what to do in this situation!

I got 33 on the button and 4 players at table.

The cutoff calls, so do I as the chart say, and so does the sb.

The flop comes A A 9 which gives me a two pair!

Blinds checks, cutoff bets.

What to do? Did I just get a trash hand or a two pair?

I raise and thus win the game. Did I play this hand correctly?

:)

- Gnill
  • 6 replies
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      This technically is a two-pair, but it really isn't. ;)
      Real two-pair is when you do not hold a pocket pair, for example A9 on A9x flop.

In your example, you have a weak hand, do not overplay such hands. Any 9 or A, even any pocket pair over 33 beats you...
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      It's unlikely that CO has an A since he didn't raise preflop. The blinds did check so they probably don't have pocket pairs.

To give an accurate estimate one needs to plug in CO's and SB's limping ranges here (guesstimate it) plus a random hand for BB. Then rinse some (clever guesstimating) due to the checking behind you. Will your opponents fold air here (they should, but would they)?. Even if the blinds have pocket pairs, they have a tough decision facing a double bet if the pairs are below 9.

Against normal opponents its at least worth considering a raise. You may have the best hand and better hands (say 92 in the blinds) may fold.

A call is a waste of chips since the pot is so small.

/Johan = :f_confused:
    • Gnillperker
      Gnillperker
      Bronze
      Great thanks guys, I guess that makes my guesstimation skills pretty awesome :)
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by Gnillperker
      Hi!

I'm unsure how to play this hand as the SHC doesn't say what to do in this situation!

I got 33 on the button and 4 players at table.

The cutoff calls, so do I as the chart say, and so does the sb.

The flop comes A A 9 which gives me a two pair!

Blinds checks, cutoff bets.

What to do? Did I just get a trash hand or a two pair?

I raise and thus win the game. Did I play this hand correctly?

:)

- Gnill

Top play. If CO had any sort of hand (including Ax), he would of and should of raised preflop. By raising you may have forced him to fold better hand i.e.
      44-88 or 9x.
      Nice Move :D
    • luckygan2002
      luckygan2002
      Bronze
      Hi Gnill,

As Ticiboy mentioned, it's technically a 2 pair but if the villian has got any "A", "9" or any over pair more than 3, you are finished. But againif you read him well and put him in the position where you think he's bluffing
      ( Then really nice read by yourself ) But try not to overbet or re-raise with 33 when a flop comes AA9, might DRAG YOU TO HELL, LOL.

Anyway nicely done m8 and cheers,

Below is my BLOG, maybe take a look at it if you got free time ;)

Journey of poker in 888poker, uploading every 1000 hands
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Your hand is pretty much trash on this flop. If your planning to put any money into the pot you do it as a bluff. Even if villan has T6o he still has 40% equity against your and you pretty much drawing dead when ever he has a pair or better. But given that its pretty tough to flop trip aces bluffing flop and turn to make him fold his air that has 40% equity and maybe get him off 44-88, 9x is a good play.