[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH AQo 3bet vs steal

• Tomaloc
      posting for general flaming because this really really sucked, i mean there was nothing good at all in my play :f_confused:

Everest - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: $3.50
      CO: $6.04
      BTN: $10.70
      Hero (SB): $5.79
      BB: $4.94

Hero posts SB $0.03, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.08) Hero has A:heart: Q:spade:

fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.18, Hero raises to $0.44, fold, BTN calls $0.26
      openraiser is 41/30/60steal/1af over 45 hands

Flop: ($0.93, 2 players) T:spade: 9:spade: J:diamond:
      Hero bets $0.51, BTN calls $0.51

Turn: ($1.95, 2 players) 2:spade:
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($1.95, 2 players) Q:diamond:
      Hero bets $1.00, BTN calls $1.00
  • 3 replies
    • Knyght
      Do you have stats on the villain? I think the 3bet is okay here, especially if he steals a lot and will fold to 3bets. Though I'd rather 3bet if it was suited. You might not want to pay too much attention since I also suck.

I think cbetting a ridiculously draw-heavy board with gutshot+overcards isn't a good idea. I'd probably check/fold this or check/call if villain's bet is small and gives us good odds. If he donks the flop small I think(?) you'd get good implied odds.

Villain's checking behind on the turn is pretty weak and since you hit top pair/top kicker I think the bet here is fine... And this bet would be been lower if you you had not bet the flop.
    • Tomaloc
      thanks for the input, any comments are appreciated :f_biggrin:

now i guess i can post my own comments and answer yours:

well 45 hands is nothing for fold steal to 3b stat :f_frown: but i "felt" that he didn't like to fold to 3b, and could call with dominated aces
      anyway i think preflop is okay. huge mistakes start on the flop

i actually have an OESD (this is okay) and a 1 card backdoorflush! (this sucks, Q high is not good enough for 4 board)
      anyway the size is just plain wtf - i would never (or at least i am not supposed to) cbet this board that betsize in any circumstance, maybe only with K:sQ and even then i wouldn't be sure... fair sizing would be some $0.8 at least
      i can only guess i expected him to fold if he didn't have any part of the board or was into some set mining venture, but else just about everything hits this board somehow.
      check/call something reasonable as you said was probably better

by checking i have absolutely no idea on what's going on. just horrible, but i wonder how reasonable is a 2nd barrel, looks way too commital

i beat absolutely nothing! any 8, any K beats me, also he could easily have twopair which i doubt he is folding for that betsizing
      so river bet is a failure as well, i can only hope that he has nothing (and folds) or levels himself into some kind of AJ call, but i doubt he ever has AJ in this action
    • veriz
      Hello Tomaloc,

Flop: Not a good flop to CB there, there are too many hands which continue and hardly hits his 3bet-calling range. If you plan to CB the flop then you should also be planning to 2nd barrel a lot of turn cards, especially when you get extra equity.

As played
      Turn: You have to 2nd barrel it, what do you plan to do here? Check/Call? Which would be really bad. Made already a mistake by CBetting the flop and while you get some extra equity you should rather 2nd barrel and might even make some PPs/pairs to fold.

As played
      River: Easy Check/Fold, I can't really see what worse pays you, you are practically turning your hand into bluff which tries to make something like 2pairs to fold.

Best Regards.