[NL2-NL10] NL4; SH: A8o 3BEt

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $5.24 (131 bb)
      SB: $2.73 (68.3 bb)
      BB: $2.27 (56.8 bb)
      MP: $3.80 (95 bb)
      CO: $1.71 (42.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A 8
      MP folds, CO raises to $0.12, Hero raises to $0.36, 2 folds, CO calls $0.24

Flop: ($0.78) 7 5 6 (2 players)
      CO bets $1.35 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.35

Turn: ($3.48) 8 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($3.48) 2 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $3.48 pot ($0.23 rake)
      Final Board: 7 5 6 8 2
      Hero mucked A 8 and won $3.25 ($1.54 net)
      CO showed 2 A and lost (-$1.71 net)

Opponent's stats: VP/PFR/AF/WTS/hands 38/6/5.0/55/33

Do I have to be willing to go broke with this hand preflop in order to 3Bet this opponent?
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Why should we want to go broke vs 6% PFR here? :) I would most likely just let him have the pot and we definitely get a lot better spots.

Neither don't get the point of Calling the flop where too many hands beat you.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      Why should we want to go broke vs 6% PFR here? I would most likely just let him have the pot and we definitely get a lot better spots.

We shouldn't, but the reason I ask is because of his stack size – neither shortstacked nor midstacked, and the sample size is not big either – I doubt his raise range there is 6%. So basically – can we 3bet/fold against such a stack?

Neither don't get the point of Calling the flop where too many hands beat you.

You are right. I put some ranges in Equilator and it is not as close as I thought it is.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      We shouldn't, but the reason I ask is because of his stack size – neither shortstacked nor midstacked, and the sample size is not big either – I doubt his raise range there is 6%. So basically – can we 3bet/fold against such a stack?

Well, it's practically the same question to you. Would you try to bluff a station? If you do then why?
      Bronze
      Ok, this particular 3Bet is bad.

1) Had he been fullstacked, would a 3Bet not be a good choice? If he does not fold preflop we can make him fold on the flop. Or we can gain value postflop from him being so bad.
      2) In general, can we 3Bet opponents with such stack sizes light?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1) Had he been fullstacked, would a 3Bet not be a good choice? If he does not fold preflop we can make him fold on the flop. Or we can gain value postflop from him being so bad.

Depends a lot how he plays postflop. The hand overall himself isn't a great hand to 3bet with just cause of the domination case. Often you get called from mainly better Ax hands and you don't even keep weaker hands in the play. Plus he is very tight, so therefore I don't like the 3bet at all vs those kind of opponents.

2) In general, can we 3Bet opponents with such stack sizes light?

Without any good reason not really and obviously doesn't make sense. They are going broke with a lot worse, also if they have such a small PFR it's very likely that bigger part of his range plans to do that.