question

• benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      Hello everyone, I have some silly questions, hope someone can answer.

1. Sometimes I hear (we need 40% equity to make this call profitable) or(we need to win 25% of the time to make it profitable) and I dont quite understand it... it must be connected with pod odds or something?

2. It's about bankroll, when I have bankroll for 25buy-ins in cash game lets say I have 250$ for playing NL10, does it mean that whenever I want to play cash game I must have at least 250$, or I can deposit 250$ start playing NL10 and play NL10 even after I have only 125$ left because at the beggining I had the right 25 buyins?
      2.1 When I have bankroll of lets say 400$ I play NL10 BSS, so the 25buyins are going for cash game, what's left is 150$ so only this money can be my bankroll for MTT's, or I can count that my bankroll is 400$ for MTTs as well?

P.S. I really hope that someone can understand me..
  • 8 replies
    • celui68
      celui68
      Bronze
      From what i gather, is that you dont understand bankroll management.
      If you have $250 or 25 buyins for 5/10 then thats fine but when you drop below the 20/25 buyins for the 5/10 then you should move down limits until you have enough money to play. Also if you were to increase that $250, say to $400 then playing 10/25 would seem the right way to play. So basically always have 20/25 buyins for the limit you are playing at, if you dont move down stakes.
    • benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      and what about MTT's? do I have to have a different bankroll for those or it is one bankroll for cash + MTT's?
    • DailyDollarPro
      DailyDollarPro
      Silver
      1) Yes, it is to do with pot odds. Using pot odds you can calculate the exact minimum percentage a play (call, bet or raise) needs to win the pot to break even. If by making this play you win the pot more often than this percentage then the play is profitable. If it is less, then it is a losing play and a leak in your game.
      This is all very theoretical however because it is very difficult to actually measure the success frequency of a certain play in a certain spot. Even spots that occur quite frequently will have small differences related to the type of opponent that we face. Also some spots just don't occur all that often, so all you can do is estimate the success frequency to evaluate the play.

2) Bankroll management 'rules' are merely guidelines to suggest what stake you should be playing. Where you decide to draw the line is up to the individual player but following the PS recommendation is a good start if you are unsure. The idea is that the more BI available in your bankroll, the lower your chances of going broke. Using a 20/25 BI system would look like this for 10NL

Deposit $250 - Play 10NL

If bankroll becomes $200, move down to 5NL
      If bankroll becomes $625, move up to 25NL

You don't need to separate your tournament bankroll from a cash bankroll, but be aware that MTT's and multi table SNG's have much higher variance than cash games, so you need to be more conservative with BRM. With a $250 bankroll you could play a mix of 10NL and $2.20 tourneys. Just be aware that it is very common for a winning tourney player to have downswings of more than 20BI. As such it is usualy better to stick to cash games or single table SNG's when you only have a small bankroll.
    • ilrasso
      ilrasso
      Bronze
      hey benaars.

1. you right - its about pot odds and equity. Imagine you raise preflop to 25 and get called for a for a total pot of 50 on the flop. You have 25 left in front of you. You opponent goes all in, and you now have to consider if u fold or pay the last 25 for a total pot of 100. In that situation you need to pay 25 to win 100, and so you need at least 25% equity to make the call. This means that given the way the cards are dealt you will win on average 25% of the time.

2. Bankroll managment is a method of reducing risk of ruin for winning players. Given the nature of poker, where bad luck can punish the right desicion many times over, winning players will only bet a small fraction of their bankroll in any given game to avoid getting ruined by bad luck.

For loosing players on the other hand, theres nothing BRM can do to prevent ruin. So for loosing players the thing to do is keeping losses at an acceptable level. This varies from person to person.

BRM for MTTs is usually pretty extreme. Especially for the big online MMTs. Consider that an MTT with 1000 players, you would have to play it maybe 10.000 times to get a reasonable samplesize. (im no statistician, someone might correct me here) So here its very difficult to protect oneself from negative variance using just a big samplesize.

I hope this helps.

Ilrasso
    • benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      Originally posted by ilrasso

1. you right - its about pot odds and equity. Imagine you raise preflop to 25 and get called for a for a total pot of 50 on the flop. You have 25 left in front of you. You opponent goes all in, and you now have to consider if u fold or pay the last 25 for a total pot of 100. In that situation you need to pay 25 to win 100, and so you need at least 25% equity to make the call. This means that given the way the cards are dealt you will win on average 25% of the time.
      So it is all about how good pot odds the opponent is giving us...? the better the pot odds the less equity we need for a profitable call, is that right?
    • benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      THANKS FOR ANSWERS! BANKROLL MANAGEMENT IS NOW CLEAR FOR ME! :s_biggrin:
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      [quote Just be aware that it is very common for a winning tourney player to have downswings of more than 20BI. As such it is usualy better to stick to cash games or single table SNG's when you only have a small bankroll.[/quote]And the rest! I did 40bi on a downswing a while ago and I know people who've done much more!

This is just a personal thing for my ease but I play different sites for different games. It helps me stay focused and makes it easier to track how I'm doing in each game.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by benaars
      So it is all about how good pot odds the opponent is giving us...? the better the pot odds the less equity we need for a profitable call, is that right?
      yes