How to counter Overbetting in Live Cash Game

• AlcatrazUK
      AlcatrazUK
      Bronze
      Afternoon all.

Quick question...when everyone at the table is overbetting...what should I do? I hit pocket queens and am up for a bet but face a 100BB bet and suddenly lose my nerve! It's a home game (at my house) so I don't want to stop playing...here's the scenario!

So on Saturday I have a 10 man cash game at mine. Low limits (2/5p NL). These are all guys I've played with for a few years and most pretty straight players, 3-4BB raises pre-flop, and two-thirds a pot raise post flop with hands. There's one loose cannon in the group.

So we're 30 minutes in and the game is pretty even, before raises to over £4 pre flop are happening! Naturally we fold...well, not all of us! A few guys come in for the somewhat polerised bet! More betting ensues!

Eventually three mediocre hands turn over (no idea why they were in the hand in the first place) and someone's £25 up!

For the next 2 hours the same thing is happening and I tighten right up. But when I see QQ and ready myself, three other players are in the hand and the bet's already £5...on a 5p blind!

I stopped playing and treated myself to a beer and watched the mayhem continue. One by one the other players lost their cash and went home. Other than playing PL from now on...any suggestions?
  • 16 replies
    • Meda1985
      Meda1985
      Bronze
      Great question! I'm also interested in this, because my home game is loose as Hell and there is few over-betting maniacs! It can't be to wait for American Airlines, because then I would play every 220the hand, eventually Cowboys, but then it would be every 110th hand... And also, they are not retarded, they just play idiotic poker, they will know I have premium hand and they will limp in, but when I c-bet they will fold, or I could slow-play and face serious suckout-issues...
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Obvs should be calling all-in or going all in yourself if you have more chips than the bet left infront of you pre-flop. there open range is clearly alot wider than AA/KK....
    • Meda1985
      Meda1985
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyjm
      Obvs should be calling all-in or going all in yourself if you have more chips than the bet left infront of you pre-flop. there open range is clearly alot wider than AA/KK....
      Indeed! But, I was thinking little bit more game to it (flop, turn, river), also, I don't feel going all-in with AA versus two or more players... and it will happen!
    • DeetM
      DeetM
      Bronze
      Only a home game so just think of the money as entertainment for the night.

If you're playing a serious game, though, put those players on a range. If they've shown down random hands in the past then their range is wide. No one's psychic, they may well have AA/KK but that's 0.9% of all hands so if they do, ah well. They probably don't, though.

If you're folding QQ against a couple of 30%+ ranges with a stack-to-pot ratio of 1 you need to channel some Chuck Norris.

In a word: "jam".
    • Meda1985
      Meda1985
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DeetM
      Only a home game so just think of the money as entertainment for the night.

If you're playing a serious game, though, put those players on a range. If they've shown down random hands in the past then their range is wide. No one's psychic, they may well have AA/KK but that's 0.9% of all hands so if they do, ah well. They probably don't, though.

If you're folding QQ against a couple of 30%+ ranges with a stack-to-pot ratio of 1 you need to channel some Chuck Norris.

In a word: "jam".
      Didn't say I was folding QQ...
      Just want to know is there any way of encountering those games... or not... And even though it's a micro game for fun it doesn't minut my wish for a win!
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      well, you know the answer is theoretically obvious, right?
      the games WILL be variance huge - but in general a range of like TT+, AJo+ (probably even wider, i'm a nit) should be enough to show huuuuge $EV :spade:
    • Snodreliss
      Snodreliss
      Silver
      3-bet/4-bet/5-bet whatever i have to do and win $$$, oh £££££!!
    • AlcatrazUK
      AlcatrazUK
      Bronze
      I know what you mean but when you have your KK cracked by 35o (hmmm) and then see QQ up against 3 in an inflated pot you have to wonder if it's worth it? Heads up I'll take my Ladies all the way but when there are a few in the hand and you know they're not going to fold I'm concerned.

I'm thinking it might have been something in the water that night...it's not their normal style!
    • Meda1985
      Meda1985
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AlcatrazUK
      I know what you mean but when you have your KK cracked by 35o (hmmm) and then see QQ up against 3 in an inflated pot you have to wonder if it's worth it? Heads up I'll take my Ladies all the way but when there are a few in the hand and you know they're not going to fold I'm concerned.

I'm thinking it might have been something in the water that night...it's not their normal style!
      Exactly!
      Nope, they usually drink beer! :) But, it's not even that! They just fool around, not play poker, that's all! Some of them don't like getting AA... Go figure! :)
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      How can you not logically deduce a close to optimal strategy to this extremely simple question yourself
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      KK cracked by 35o? live poker is rigged i say, i bet it was a straight on the river

now in all seriousness, "if it's worth it"? it's completely obviously worth it, and you actually should be happy that they don't fold and call with things like 35o.
      if you're afraid of putting your money in with the 3rd best starting hand against randoms, you should be working on your mindset
    • fielden1982
      fielden1982
      Basic
      Play your strong hands very, very strongly and if your QQ runs into an overpair then so be it. If you play them strongly most of the time they will be holding up and you will be in profit as you know you are getting action. Simples. :s_love:
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      If u r scared to get QQ in vs people with wide range then you are playing too high stakes for your confort zone. There are spots to fold QQ preflop (eg: you open and a super nit 3bets you big so you dont have odds to setmine, you can fold).
      As to the hand itself I am probally shoving depending on your stack size.
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      jeeeez ur a bunch of nits guys :D

QQ is the nuts, even in FR, and especially in that situation u described.... stick it in!
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      In one wsop some1 says this :

"If your opponent call , you raise
      If your opponent raise , you re-raise
      If your opponent re-raise, you go all-in

Poker is very simple"

He forgot to say this apply only for AA :coolface:
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      your friends are having a good time and enjoying the game. Therefore it is very lose.

Just ship QQ+ for value.

btw read my blog about live game.