Versus Players who only check

• Odieone
      Odieone
      Bronze
      Hi

I am improving my post flop play at the moment while I practice reading my opponents hands strength

But I keep getting beat by players who are ultra conservative. They check with pretty much anything. Straight, Flushes, Quads you name em.

Do I just let them be? Or is this a leaking situation I need to fix?

Just wondering...
  • 6 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Odieone
      Do I just let them be?
      What exactly do you mean?

As they don't have more better hands than you have I wouldn't change my play if I have the initiative.

But you can fold very easily if they start getting aggressive.

For more details post hands against them please.
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      Ah.. I call them the "slowplayers" :)

Personally, if I have a decent hand(like TPTK or two pair), bet strongly flop and turn and get called, I usually check/call the river. It saves money very often if you are against a player of that kind(often).

For instance today I just lost only 2/5 of my stack to such a player with my AK(paired the ace) on a dry board against his set. If he raised flop, I would have surely gone broke. I don't mind them on the whole :) They're not that 'tricky' as they probably think.
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      I'm not sure what Odieone was trying to say in the original post, but if you mean that you're not sure how to play against calling stations then just VALUE BET.

Sometimes they will call you down with the nuts or near nuts and that drives you crazy, but they will also call you down with bottom pair or ten high or whatever, so just keep value betting them and don't bluff, you can't bluff opponents who won't fold.
    • G1lius
      G1lius
      Bronze
      A pop-up box saying "you're about to post on the FL-section" would be helpfull sometimes...

Anyway, I got the same "problem". I think you should just keep valuebetting as normal, because they will pay you off with their weaker hands.
      I sometimes do slow down on the river, or make a bigger laydown if they get aggressive.

I know it feels kinda stupid betting on every street while you're drawing dead or close to, but if you evaluate the hand right after you played it, you'll often notice that he could've got a bit more from you if he played it more aggressivly. That often helps me from getting tilted by these players ;)
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      You have to remember that you're value betting versus your opponents range, not just one hand, and most calling stations have a very wide range.

Sometimes your opponent is going to call down with a better hand, but you have to remember that their range is so wide that it's profitable to be value betting them relentlessly.
    • Odieone
      Odieone
      Bronze
      I am sorry I can't post hands...I am still having problems with elephant on my computer.

I guess all I can do is play smart. Thanks for the advice