The right type of poker for me?

• Vip3rNZ
      Vip3rNZ
      Silver
      Ok so i'm really struggling to stick to one type of poker.

I Started with $10 i now have $30 and am about toget $25 pokerstars bonus.

I've tryed

2NL 6max ( 35k hands )
      2NL 9max ZOOM ( 35k hands )
      5NL 9max ZOOM ( 10k hands )

360 man SnGs
      90 man SnGs $0.25-$0.50
      45 man SnGs ( Turbo and regular ) $0.50
      9man SnGs (Turbo and Hyper)
      6man SnGs (Turbo and Hyper)
      HU SnGs ( Turbo and Hyper) $1.50

The ones that I'm what i consider a winning player in are:

2NL 6max ( +$70 here, 35k hands )
      $0.50 45man Turbo SnGs ( +$35 here, 70ish games, 90%ROI )
      $1.50 HU SnGs Hyper ( +$17 here, 120ish games, 9%ROI )

As you can see I've been doing alright in the 2NL and a few of the sngs, but look at my pokerstars balance, it's only $30 because i got destroyed at 5NL ZOOM partly because of dodgy bankroll management i think lol.

So far i'm thinking about playing exclusively 2NL 6max untill i have 25BI for 5nl 6max, i pretty much hate zoom now due to getting raped @ 5NL.

Can anyone help me decide? I think one of the keys to success at poker is focusing on one game type.
  • 3 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey Vip3rNZ,

You have certainly played alot of different Gametypes!

Each game is fine to play, it really depends on which you enjoy the most or are currently beating.

Personally I would advise against Zoom poker as the variance can be quite high and there are alot of nitty regs making it a little difficult compared to the Regular rooms, but this is just my opinion.

If I were you, I'd stick with the NL2 SH Cash Games and play with the aim to continue moving up the limits. You say that you're doing well in the Hyper Heads up too but this is also a high variance gametype so will require a healthy bankroll.
    • Vip3rNZ
      Vip3rNZ
      Silver
      Alrighty thanks for the advice, i think it's very good advice! I've just hit a nice upswing at the 6max 2nl tables also and baged my self about 10 BI's now im at $45ish and another thing I did was on stars I used the feature to lock my self to 2NL and now it will take me 24 hours to unlock 5NL so i have to have been thinking about it alot longer before I load up some tables with some kinda crazy 1BI shot in mind lol
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there vip3rNZ,

My personal opinion of this is, given you are getting a $25 boost you then have about $55.

this looks nice after having $10 I have no doubt, but stand back and look at it realistically...it's $55! Struggling to buy a pair of shoes for that, so not exactly high stakes stuff is it?

Am I being a bit tough on you maybe? I certainly hope so, since you don't give the impression of being silly, so stick to nl2 which, according to you, is very pofitable. Play there until you have at least $100, when you go over that, then think abou taking a shot at nl5 :) . Oh and I would stick to nl4 full ring until I had about $80 to.

Get a bankroll playing what you know will get you one, then decide whether to play limit; omaha; stud, draw or whatever.

Best regards,

Mal.