This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Qt

• thebaptist333
      thebaptist333
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $5.20
      SB:
      $1.66
      BB:
      $1.74
      UTG1:
      $4.00
      UTG2:
      $4.28
      MP1 (Hero):
      $6.90
      MP2:
      $1.07
      MP3:
      $1.64
      CO:
      $1.78

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T, Q.
      2 folds, Hero calls $0.04, 3 folds, BU raises to $0.16, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.38) 9, J, 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.28, Hero calls $0.28.

Turn: ($0.94) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.64, Hero calls $0.64.

River: ($2.22) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $1.44, Hero raises to $5.82(All-In), BU calls $2.68(All-In).

Final Pot: $12.16.

Normally I don't play this hand from this position, but villain was a deepstack maniac so I wanted to play a nice drawing hand against him cheaply.

What do you think of the postflop play? I didn't bet because I think the board is pretty safe, I just don't want to see a Q or a T to kill my action
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello thebaptist333,

Preflop: Why do you limp? :f_cry:

As played
      Postflop: I would just Raise it right on the flop, we don't want him to Check behind there or anything. Even if he is a maniac he could still Call with very wide range on the flop and meanwhile could easily just Check behind on the turn.

Best Regards.
    • thebaptist333
      thebaptist333
      Bronze
      lol. I limped because there is a very good chance that he was 3betting and then I would have to fold. Another reason is that I sometimes limp lowish PP from that position and I was thinking that I should maybe mix up my limping range a bit.

I used to, at least, limp every PP from any position and raise from mid or late positions. But I've started folding small PP from EP because I think it's a bit of a leak for me.

So donk the flop? In this case it would've worked since he flopped 2 pair, but normally do we want to risk the maniac folding when we know there's a good chance he's going to bluff anyway?

I don't have the exact stats right now but I think he had a very high turn and river aggression.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      lol. I limped because there is a very good chance that he was 3betting and then I would have to fold. Another reason is that I sometimes limp lowish PP from that position and I was thinking that I should maybe mix up my limping range a bit.

PPs are a bit different case, you have easily play with them postflop but with QT you could face a lot ugly spots.

I used to, at least, limp every PP from any position and raise from mid or late positions. But I've started folding small PP from EP because I think it's a bit of a leak for me.

Yeah, I totally agree. I would also recommend folding 22-55 from EP. :) You can always go back to smaller ones if you feel ready for them and know around how to play preflop+postflop.

So donk the flop? In this case it would've worked since he flopped 2 pair, but normally do we want to risk the maniac folding when we know there's a good chance he's going to bluff anyway?

I would vs maniac still Check/Raise as we know that he is going to CB. :) Of course if you expect him to be bluffing a lot then sure, we can pick such a line but then I would do it still a bit more different boards where he most likely wouldn't be Checking behind. Here are a lot of draws around which could Check behind the turn and not sure if he even bets with them again.