UTG: $10.08 - VPIP: 51, PFR: 9, 3B: 0, AF: 0.4, Hands: 74
      MP: $7.31 - VPIP: 44, PFR: 19, 3B: 10, AF: 3.5, Hands: 27
      CO: $18.07 - VPIP: 30, PFR: 27, 3B: 18, AF: 3.4, Hands: 132
      Hero (BTN): $10.00 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 19, 3B: 8, AF: 4.8, Hands: 66300
      SB: $2.75 - VPIP: 13, PFR: 13, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 30
      BB: $10.00 - VPIP: 51, PFR: 9, 3B: 0, AF: 0.4, Hands: 74

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with K:heart: Q:diamond:
      UTG calls $0.10, MP raises to $0.45, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.45, 3 folds

Flop: ($1.15) 7:club: 6:club: K:spade: (2 players)
      MP bets $1.15, Hero calls $1.15

Turn: ($3.45) Q:club: (2 players)
      MP bets $1.72, Hero raises to $8.40, MP calls $3.99 all in

River: ($14.87) T:club: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $14.87
      MP shows 9c Ac
      MP wins $13.88
      Hero wins $2.69
      (Rake: $-1.70)

Preflop: I think it should be ok. I could be convinced, however, that a 3bet is better.

Postflop: Is it standard?
  • 9 replies
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      Against with 44 VPIP why wouldn't you protect against his large drawing range on the flop?

From my experience, a player like that is not pot-betting with AA, AK or set.

Raise on the flop to protect top pair.
      Bronze
      I do not get why you think that he would not pot a strong hand here. He could easily have me beat. I call the flop and if he bets strong on the turn as well I simply fold unless I improve like in this situation. A pot-size bet, especially if it's a 2nd barrel is no joke. Not by these players.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Well, what do you think he is doing any hand what is potting on the flop? Do you ever see him even giving up on the turn? That's the problem there. :( What are we trying to see on the turn?

Only reason to Call the flop if we would also expect him to pot it with total bluffs and to keep his range wide. He will rarely give up on the turn anyways when he pots here. Vs full stack we could argue about flatting and reevaluating on the turn when we don't want to get it in but not even vs a full I am not a huge fan of doing that on such a drawy board.

Do you plan to fold on blank turn and when he bets again, lets say the same amount?

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      1) So what you are trying to say is that, on average, pot-size bets are rarely complete bluffs?

2) Does it then make sense to call preflop if we are so inclined to fold on such a flop?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1) So what you are trying to say is that, on average, pot-size bets are rarely complete bluffs?

At the best I would expect to see a semi-bluff hand. Difficult to say if you don't know anything bout the opponent and didn't see him playing neither his stats. :)

2) Does it then make sense to call preflop if we are so inclined to fold on such a flop?

Not really if you are going to play it this way. :) Vs his stack you should be very often planning to go broke when the board is so drawy rather than Call the flop once and give up on turn. Neither you wont be able to play around with him while he most likely wont be folding much. So how do you plan to win the hand? Do you also see him raising a lot weaker hands from MP that you dominate?
      Bronze
      Do you also see him raising a lot weaker hands from MP that you dominate?

His bottom end of his range that I dominate would probably be KJo+ KTs+ QJo QTs+.

Vs his stack you should be very often planning to go broke when the board is so drawy rather than Call the flop once and give up on turn.

If I raise the flop and he pushes the best that I can probably hope for is a tie with KQ or a flushdraw semi-bluff. All the rest of his range consists of hands that beat me.

I am not too comfortable with calling flop and giving up on the turn either. But it does seem like a much better choice than raise/calling the flop where we are crushed most of the time. I may be overvaluating this particular villain but I do not quite think that he continues with worse Kx hands against my raise – it would even look like turning my hand into a bluff. Whereas I can at least keep him in the hand with a much weaker range if I call.

The problem that I face in this particular hand is that he bets pot-size and it does change the situation. What could he possibly have? Probably something on the stronger side rather than just simply a bluff – so given the range that I estimate him to have preflop that I dominate (KJo+ KTs+ QJo QTs+) and the fact that he bets pot-size, is it not ok to call preflop but consider folding on the flop? It looks like very weak play but then again – it is not the regular cBet I am facing.

To be honest, I am confused.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      (KJo+ KTs+ QJo QTs+)

Well, if you think he has such a range then how can you ever fold? What do you think he is doing with weaker Kx hands? Checking into you?
      Bronze
      The pot-size bet makes me confused and I am unable to evaluate my relative hand strength correctly. To fold would probably be a too cautious decision but to call two pot-size bets seems to be somewhat marginal as well.

But anyway, I do not think we should raise the flop. That is unless we have a read that he is capable of calling / pushing with a weaker hand other than a flush draw.

Given his preflop range do we call the flop and a blank turn, call the flop and fold on a club turn / ace?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Given his preflop range do we call the flop and a blank turn, call the flop and fold on a club turn / ace?

Yes, practically that could be the case.