honestlly how many people find sss profitable.

• Pride11
      Pride11
      Bronze
      Seriously i have lost alot on this strategy from 70 to 10 playing it quite perfect
      i mean some of the stupidest shit happens to me alot for instance i have a hand like A Q Late bet 50 cents 1 caller flop comes he checks i hit shit so i cbet 70 cent he re raises and i have to go all in with 40 cents left.. this stuff happens to much to me
  • 30 replies
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      Honestly, I'm also playing a somewhat looser version of the SSS, which is the reason why I break even or make a small profit. It really depends a lot on the current situation though, and many factors influence my decisions.

I only play 2-3 tables max, so I have time to watch my opponents. I have PT/PA running and I also take notes immediately when a guy makes fishy calls with crap, if he's a blind stealer, etc. So after some time I do get an idea who I am up against, and if they will fold to my button steal raise or not.

Personally, I've come to the point that I loathe KQ. With KQo I have (1.05) BB/Hand, with KQs even (1.88) BB/Hand. On the other hand, 66 and KTo are among my most profitable hands.

Still, stick with the SSS as much as possible, but also play the table, not only your cards.
    • Wulber1973
      Wulber1973
      Bronze
      I am the same, lost almost $30 playing on the .05/.10 tables. So I moved down to .01/.02 on one of my other accounts to test and broke even.

Basically problem is, you dont have enouhg cash to put people of their hands. A hand that I raise with that has no Ace is almost always called and an Ace hits the board (normally the river, which leaves me shouting abuse at the dumb ass who called with Ace - rag).

The strategy sound sound to me, but I dont leave when i hit $2.50, i normally play a full session or leave when the players all change.

I added a few hands to the strategy and managed to start holding my own after I switched to 6-max tables or heads up play.

Well, I better go lose more money to some dumb ass who gets paid to much for their day job.

Regards

Wulber1973
    • Ellfish
      Ellfish
      Bronze
      SSS may work better at the higher limits where the players are less fishy, but at the starting limits I had some bad experiences too, constantly getting outdrawn by fish. I much prefer the BSS, it gives you way more flexibility and is more fun than the mechanical, everything-by-the-book style of play the SSS asks for.
    • gemgem69
      gemgem69
      Bronze
      'SSS may work better at the higher limits where the players are less fishy' . only reason why sss works is because of fish. Fishier the better.
    • Snodreliss
      Snodreliss
      Silver
      I made 150$ on NL10 sss, it's possible!
    • Amirapuato
      Amirapuato
      Bronze
      For me, SSS works nice, but remember it's not about everything-by-the-book, it's about playing poker.

A common mistake made is heavily multitabling SSS, and it's easy to do, because once you played about 1000/1500 hands, you know the strategy to perfection. But IMO it's a mistake, because if you are playing 6 or more tables, you won't know who is TAG, LAG, fish, calling station, etc.

In my personal experience, I played about 2 weeks with 6/8 tables, I was breaking even, until one Saturday, where I lost about 15 dollars (on 0.05/0.10 tables). When that happened, and having a remaining bankroll of about 13 USD, I was seriously afraid of losing it, and started asking questions here, on PokerStrategy.

I learned that you should play following the GUIDELINES given to you by SSS, but in specific situations, you should do things that you normally wouldn't. For example, you are in the BB holding AQ, and the button attempts to steal by raising 0.50. Should you fold? Of course not, if you think he is trying to steal your blind, stealraise him, that means, go all-in. Normally he will be holding a lower ace, or sometimes, just any two. If you are unsure about something, just post the hand, the experts will help you.

Now, I have played 1 week following my new-and-improved SSS, playing 2/3 tables, using PS Elephant 0.41 (still for free), still on 0.05/0.10 tables, and here are my results:

Hands played: 2000
      Net profit: +25 USD (about 10 on Saturday night)
      BB/100 hands: 12.5 (maybe just an upswing, but don't think so) :D

Good luck everyone. :)
    • Snodreliss
      Snodreliss
      Silver
      I played 14-18 tables with no stats/reads :) ^^,
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      I will try and show you that sss can be profitable on all limits:

SSS project by a SSS-hater
    • AcessUP
      AcessUP
      Global
      SSS really works and you'll beggin to bring your bankroll up slowly but I think that most of the time people complain is because they do the right thing and they happen to get a bad beat and blame it on the strategy.

The strategy works fine jus dont complain when the shark or the fish at the table catches something better =/
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AcessUP
      I think that most of the time people complain is because they suck and won't admit it
      The strategy works fine jus dont complain when the shark or the fish at the table catches something better =/
      FYP
    • AcessUP
      AcessUP
      Global
      Originally posted by swissmoumout
      Originally posted by AcessUP
      I think that most of the time people complain is because they suck and won't admit it

LMAO!
    • Pride11
      Pride11
      Bronze
      well i recentlly think i found a issue with my SSS it may be too many tables but i think the main thing was that i was rebuying at like 1.8 or 1.85 rather then 1.5... even 1.9 rebuy.. i kept doing this and i think it contributed alot to when i lost hands
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      Another problem with the SSS is that you are supposed to leave as soon as you have won 50 cents on NL10 for example. But if you invest all your money and get beaten, you immediately lose 2 dollars.

So to make a profit you need to be successful on at least 4, or rather 5 tables if you include the rake, for every stack lost on one table.
    • LeStegeRoyal
      LeStegeRoyal
      Basic
      Originally posted by Drakhor
      Another problem with the SSS is that you are supposed to leave as soon as you have won 50 cents on NL10 for example. But if you invest all your money and get beaten, you immediately lose 2 dollars.

So to make a profit you need to be successful on at least 4, or rather 5 tables if you include the rake, for every stack lost on one table.
      Are you saying your stack is never bigger then $2.50 when you leave a table?
      I think you have to think through your statement there.
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      Of course I also leave with bigger amounts, but as many SSS players know, most of the time your raise only makes the others fold and you only get the blinds and the odd limper. In most cases that only makes up for your own lost blinds though. :/

Not every table has maniacs which call everything. Most of the time the average VP$IP of a table is around 10-12%, and such tight players hardly ever call a short stack's raise, unless they have very good cards themselves.

Even if you double up with e.g. the rockets in the BB against the steal-raising SB, you still only end up with 3.85 as 15 cents are raked. So at the very least you need 2 profitable tables to make up for 1 lost stack.
    • LeStegeRoyal
      LeStegeRoyal
      Basic
      In that case i think you have to practise your table selection, cause if your statements were true, no one would make money using the short stack strategy. I think both me and you know that is not the case.
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      Well, I don't know where you play, but I have my bankroll on Party and trust me, during the day it's a real pain to find good tables. :(

I always try to limit my selection to tables which don't have 3 short stacks yet, so that I would be the third one at the most. If I do sit at a table and a fourth short stack joins, I often wait for the BB and leave myself.

But at times I have the impression that at least half of the PS.com SSS players are on Party. There are so many shorties around, it's at times sickening, especially when you wait for like a half hour to join a table as third short stack, only to see 2 big stacks leave then and being replaced by 2 more shorties... -_-

2 dollar players don't call your raises unless they have a high pair or AK, and with too many of them, the big stacks won't either as they already know that shorties only raise with strong hands.
    • matkov
      matkov
      Bronze
      Drakhor, I totally agree. I think the only hope for us is to move to nl25, there aren't so many shortstacks there as there are on nl10. Well at least at full tilt
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      just watched a session review of a winning player @nl100 on partypoker, its such bs, you can win easily on ANY platform. I play at stars, and thats not nearly as fishy as other rooms out there. Improve your game, watch coachings, post hands, and stop complaining.

My opinion: I play nl25 sss for ~ 10 hours now, and I honestly think that if you train a monkey, you can teach him to beat that limit. It's so incredibly easy to make minimal profits, and if you improve skills just a little bit, you can make 2ptbb/100 on them, and that's a good step for more learning. But don't complain if you never post hands, and if you don't attend coachings.