This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] QJs

• thebaptist333
      thebaptist333
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $4.97
      MP3:
      $5.00
      CO:
      $2.86
      BU (Hero):
      $5.23
      SB:
      $4.00
      BB:
      $5.92
      UTG1:
      $6.70
      UTG2:
      $0.69
      MP1:
      $5.37

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q, J.
      4 folds, MP3 raises to $0.14, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.44, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.94) 8, 2, 7 (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.64, MP3 calls $0.64.

Turn: ($2.22) 6 (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $1.66, MP3 calls $1.66.

River: ($5.54) 7 (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $5.54.

This guy is one of the better regs at this limit and likes to raise a lot from late positions. I think this is an easy 3bet preflop against this guy.

On the flop I bet because I'm representing an overpair like JJ+ and I remember thinking that if I cbet the flop, there was a good chance that he would call with something like AK or AQ and maybe a lowish PP, so I thought that if I bet the flop I have to also bet turn.

Of course on the river I give up.

He had 99. If this was me, I was folding 99 preflop to a 3bet, and definitely instafolding on the turn. This is one of the guys that I give a lot of respect to when he's at the tables so I was a bit surprised to see his hand.

Is this just a horrible play from me?
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello thebaptist333,

Depends a lot on the opponent, if he is capable of going loose to showdowns then I might even give up on the turn. Usually if they tend to Call down preflop OOP with PPs then they are very likely also calling flop & turn. Therefore if you Bet the turn then I would also plan to ship the river rather than Check behind. Therefore rather Check behind turn without betting it vs reg.

Best Regards.