Nl5 Ak

• Slurpee
      Slurpee
      Bronze
      so i find this hand tricky to play alot of the times.

i find a lot of times i will 3bet, miss flop, and even with a cbet on a dry board i usually have to give up when i miss the turn as well..

overall it just seems like however i play them preflop it's not profitable in the long run because i miss a majority of the time with this hand. so then i must be doing something wrong, and need your help on how i should be playing AKo/AKs
  • 3 replies
    • mute20
      mute20
      Bronze
      Taking from some a book I read on strong hands section. They basically say that in order to get a profit most of the time from the hands you need to steal/bluff enough to gain a bit of profit. This can go for other hands like q10s/j10o/qks, etc. Most of us cannot survive basically on just the strength of a made hand.
    • Gantz189
      Gantz189
      Bronze
      You should be thinking why you c-bet those boards? what are villains flatting with? and how the board hits them?

That's generally what I think about when bluffing :P
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      Originally posted by Slurpee
      so i find this hand tricky to play alot of the times.

i find a lot of times i will 3bet, miss flop, and even with a cbet on a dry board i usually have to give up when i miss the turn as well..

overall it just seems like however i play them preflop it's not profitable in the long run because i miss a majority of the time with this hand. so then i must be doing something wrong, and need your help on how i should be playing AKo/AKs
      You just described a good way to play AK against most 5NL opponents. Are you running a HUD? If you have a good sample size check your win rate with various holecards, you might be surprised at how your are doing with this hand.

Be careful about default 3-betting AK, it doesn't always do too well against a nit's UTG opening range for example. You also need to think about what you are going to do if your opponent 4bets/shoves.

Also, there is no shame in 3-betting AK OOP, seeing a board that smashes the villain's range and check-folding to a 75% PSB. There is no shame in opening AK UTG, getting called by a set-mining nit and folding when he raises your c-bet on a 27T board.