This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Nl5 Ak

• Slurpee
      Slurpee
      Bronze
      so i find this hand tricky to play alot of the times.

i find a lot of times i will 3bet, miss flop, and even with a cbet on a dry board i usually have to give up when i miss the turn as well..

overall it just seems like however i play them preflop it's not profitable in the long run because i miss a majority of the time with this hand. so then i must be doing something wrong, and need your help on how i should be playing AKo/AKs
  • 3 replies
    • mute20
      mute20
      Bronze
      Taking from some a book I read on strong hands section. They basically say that in order to get a profit most of the time from the hands you need to steal/bluff enough to gain a bit of profit. This can go for other hands like q10s/j10o/qks, etc. Most of us cannot survive basically on just the strength of a made hand.
    • Gantz189
      Gantz189
      Bronze
      You should be thinking why you c-bet those boards? what are villains flatting with? and how the board hits them?

That's generally what I think about when bluffing :P
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      Originally posted by Slurpee
      so i find this hand tricky to play alot of the times.

i find a lot of times i will 3bet, miss flop, and even with a cbet on a dry board i usually have to give up when i miss the turn as well..

overall it just seems like however i play them preflop it's not profitable in the long run because i miss a majority of the time with this hand. so then i must be doing something wrong, and need your help on how i should be playing AKo/AKs
      You just described a good way to play AK against most 5NL opponents. Are you running a HUD? If you have a good sample size check your win rate with various holecards, you might be surprised at how your are doing with this hand.

Be careful about default 3-betting AK, it doesn't always do too well against a nit's UTG opening range for example. You also need to think about what you are going to do if your opponent 4bets/shoves.

Also, there is no shame in 3-betting AK OOP, seeing a board that smashes the villain's range and check-folding to a 75% PSB. There is no shame in opening AK UTG, getting called by a set-mining nit and folding when he raises your c-bet on a 27T board.