How do you deal with "winners tilt"?

• DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Maybe there is a thread like this already, but I just had to make me a new one!

Winners Tilt!!!

So I have found that this often happens to me when I am moving up in stakes or have set myself a target number of hands or $ to win.

I steadily grind up a certain amount of money at a good win-rate and somewhere along the way I lose my mindset. I get too focused with wanting to win those last couple of $ so I can move up. Add to this that I've been doing well at my limit for tens of thousands of hands my mindset somehow changes.....

I start to feel a little invincible, like I'm crushing the limit, and add to this the excitement of shotting a higher limit something goes wrong.

Hence the normal "disaster" style graph. For example this one actually happened to me recently;

So, what are your tricks and tips for getting your mindset back in the zone and get you out of your funk? The more responses the better!
  • 12 replies
    • diversfx
      diversfx
      Silver
      Sometimes I just take a day away, even during a good run.And never forget it's all one big session.
    • MrT61
      MrT61
      Bronze
      start with good goalsetting:

number ho hands is very good ; amount$won VERY BAD!

just play the hands, get a look at bankrol once in month, then move up if bankrol tolerates moving up...

gl
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      By not winning
    • martiangoblin
      martiangoblin
      Bronze
      i know what you mean... ill get in the habit of making hero calls with bottom pair while im on a heater cause i start to think im better than i am.

My best advice... check your ego at the door. Pride and ego will only cost you money by clouding your judgement.
    • dragan2171
      dragan2171
      Silver
      how will you have experience of next winning if you didn't lose previously?
      it is your goal to lose, so you can tilt next time again.

conclusion: to lose is good, tilt is good, winning is bad, but necessary.
    • dragan2171
      dragan2171
      Silver
      now seriously
      probably you should stop when you reach certain amount of money having on tables , in relation to your bankroll.

which percent is it ?
      I think it is individually, but no matter how good you are running, you should stop when you have more money on the table(s), than you want risk to lose.
    • CallumN
      CallumN
      Bronze
      Do not look at your balance
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CallumN
      Do not look at your balance

This is great if you're grinding right, but if you're about to move up (which is where this sort of thin normally happens to me) you can get affected even by glancing at your roll at the end of each session.

Thinking about this suggestion, you think it maybe takes waaaay too much self-control to not look at your roll that most poker players just don't have amiright?
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      By not winning
      this has done wonders for me aswell
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      By not winning
      this has done wonders for me aswell
      lol, just came to quote it, have been practising it the last few month, rly does wonders to you :f_eek:
    • lapulga01
      lapulga01
      Bronze
      Don't play for the money or a goal. Play because you like poker, the game, like to exploit regs and fishes. It makes the game more fun, because you will always play your best, and increases your winrate by a wide margin.

Also, taking some days to rest is good.
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      Have a goal like, Try to play your best poker game! And don't mind the results, this is hard I know. But it would be a very good goal! I am playing my best game I can't do more than that! Don't play to many tables, don't over judge yourself. Don't play poker just to grind! Do it cause you love the game etc.