EV in multi-way pots.

• Heitzenizer
      Heitzenizer
      Bronze
      Not sure where to put this, but I'm sure "beginners" is where I belong, so here we go.

Im just curious about the "ev" that tracker programs show, in mutli-way pots.
      Say I get it in pre flop vs 2 opponents with 40% equity. Simple math should tell us that anything above 33,33% is a good number in the long run. Right?
      So why is it that if I win that pot, my ev line takes a big dip, or if I lose it, it goes up?

It makes sense vs 1 opponent, if you still have 40% equity. But should it be counted in the same way in a multi-way pot? It's still a +ev decision in the long run, so it doesn't make sense to me.

Might be to late for my brain to function, although I would appreciate any clarity.
  • 5 replies
    • Heitzenizer
      Heitzenizer
      Bronze
      Oh, and I just have to add to the question, if there's a side pot, will the EV change depending on the equity the two players in the side pot have, or is it all calculated for the main pot?
      Let's say you have the 40% of winning the pot, but in the side pot, you have 80%. Will that change the EV or is it just calculated as a 3 way all in?
    • DeetM
      DeetM
      Bronze
      Your EV dips when you win in comparison to your actual $ won line because you win 100% of the pot but your EV is rarely 100% before the river.

So if you win $100 and you have 40% equity vs 2 other players you're running $60 above EV.

I'm pretty sure that EV line is level at 50%, doesn't matter who else is in the pot.
    • Heitzenizer
      Heitzenizer
      Bronze
      So what about the side pots? Is it calculated or completely ignored?
      I mean, if the main pot is 20$ and the side pot is 80$, the EV in the main is pretty irrelevant vs the side pot.
    • pleski27
      pleski27
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Heitzenizer
      So what about the side pots? Is it calculated or completely ignored?
      I mean, if the main pot is 20$ and the side pot is 80$, the EV in the main is pretty irrelevant vs the side pot.

must to be .take the spot were you GO ai whith KK as bigstak vs mss who has AA and a fish bigstak open call whith TT... i thing that the ev is calculated pot by pot.

you have 10% equiti in the main pot off 121,5bb and 80% equiti in the side pot off 120bb..
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey Heitzenizer,

I can't help you on this subject myself, but it seems you have got little response here in Beginners, although it was a good one :P

If you'd like I can move this over to NL Board where it may get some more input? Let us know if you want to fly over there.