UTG ($50)
      UTG+1 ($53.09)
      MP ($27.12)
      CO ($41.13)
      BTN ($25.62)
      Hero (SB) ($50.58)
      BB ($50.60)

Pre-Flop: ($0.75, 7 players) Hero is SB J:diamond: J:club:
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.50, 2 folds, BTN raises to $1, Hero raises to $4, 1 fold, UTG+1 calls $3.50, BTN folds

Flop: K:spade: 7:club: 4:spade: ($9.50, 2 players)
      Hero bets $3, UTG+1 raises to $8.50, Hero calls $5.50

Turn: 6:heart: ($26.50, 2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+1 checks

River: 6:club: ($26.50, 2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $10.50, Hero calls $10.50

Final Pot: $47.50
      Hero shows
      J:diamond: J:club:
      UTG+1 shows
      2:diamond: 6:diamond:

UTG+1 wins $45.13 (net +$22.13)

BTN lost $1
      Hero lost $23

Stats in 63 hands
      84/21/9.5/-/27/0
      50/42/50/1.3
      raise cb 17%(12)

Sorry for posting result but I have some questions regarding it. How would you play this hand?

Now, I'll explain my play. I thought he's a passive fish so I can play my hand face up, while extracting thin value. He tanked a lot, then raised and my instinct was telling me it's a bluff so I changed plan and was thinking to call him down but the game hates me. His check on the turn further boostd my confidence.

Do you think my cbet sucks? Did passive fish get smarter? lol. The reason why I'm asking is because I get raised a decent amout of time in spots like this by fish with AF of 1 and I'm a paranoic person :D
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello BadeaCelRau,

Most likely I would rather turn my hand into bluff-catcher on the flop rather than CB/Call being in 3bet pot vs passive fish. :D We also keep by that weaker hands in the play and of course let him bluff. Would be very difficult for us to fire again on the turn.

Best Regards.
    • BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      I knew you're gonna say this :D . Are there times when you prefer to cbet?
      Personally I noticed fish get a big confidence boost once you don't cbet, following the simple logic "he didn't cbet -> he doesn't have it". Replaying the hand, if I knew he's a maniac who can bluff with below 0 euity :s_biggrin: , I'd definately want to bluffcatch all day long because his range is weighted so much towards trash that he simply cannot call. But I thought this guy is of the passive kind and I will win some value from his draws and worse pair that he would normally check behind.

I admit it will be hard to play the turn but it's equally hard to check-call twice aswell. If he checks behind would you bet and bet?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      If I expect the guy to be calling with worse hands there and maybe even just A high. The problem is that if we do CB then what's your plan on the turn? Can you 2nd barrel it for value? :) Can you Check/Call there?
    • BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      Sometimes he can fold right there, I've seen enough fit-or-fold fish who fold regardless of the size. So I'm gaining the opportunity to pick up the pot, could never achieve this with a check-call. Also, if I let him bet he will decide the size. When I bet, I decide the size so I can make it smaller or bigger. The drawbacks are that I am still building the pot, even if it's a small bet and sometimes he will interpret the small bet as weakness and raise. But he may interpret a check in the same manner so I'm not sure.

Can you please help me one more time with this hand? :D When I check-call, in this spot against this opponent, which cards am I looking for to check-call again (if I should ever do that) and which betsizes am I looking to call?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by BadeaCelRau
      Can you please help me one more time with this hand? :D When I check-call, in this spot against this opponent, which cards am I looking for to check-call again (if I should ever do that) and which betsizes am I looking to call?
      My plan would be to Check/Call any Bet on the flop and then reevaluate the turn.

What kind of card, well practically any blank which doesn't complete a FD nor an overcard as A/Q comes. Although with Q I would very often expect him to be Checking behind and not even with just Q. More likely it will happen that he Checks behind on the turn anyways without having a hand and against more bigger side of Bet we might even just give up our hand vs his 3bet calling range which consist of enough Kx hands.