HU low kicker face card confusion

• PrzeoRski
      PrzeoRski
      Bronze
      Hey :)

I'm begging my journey with HU Trubo, and I have small confusion about preflop situations with face cards like K2-K8 on button.

I found two poker HU schools, one coach I learn from minrise hands like Q6, or K5, K7 etc. but I found that I still play silly on floop, so I very easy loose hands and big pots with lower kicker etc. But also I know that one coach play with face cards low kicker minrise profitably.

On the other hand I read in HU book from Collin Moshman that it is OK to play for example K5 or Q9 on button with limping your opponent because you have greater control about pot.

Tell me which school of prefloop actions your use(and why), and give me a hint how I can improve my play after floop (because I see I play silly after floop).

Thanks and I hope my english is good enough to understand my question slighly.

Regards,
      PrzeoR
  • 3 replies
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, PrzeoRski!

Nice to see you in our discussion section.

Playing high cards no kicker combos is not very easy and a lot of beginners put themselves in tough spots postflop. To answer your question- it's really player dependent. In general- the better the player, the more hands he can play profitably both OOP and IP. Good player will also know how to play different type of opponents. Usually we try to pot control when we hit TP with no kicker. On the other hand TP is a very strong hand in HU, so depending on board/player, we can often go for even 3 medium sized value bets.

The weakest opponent in HU matches is the TAG player. He is tight, he will defend his blind with relatively strong hands only-therefore he folds a lot on our steals and even when we get called- he will give up on a lot of cbet. Vs this kind of opponent you can profitably raise any 2 cards on the BTN and that will show an insta profit even if we don't cbet any board. That includes high cards no kicker combos for sure! Even better as they will block some of the combos he will defend with!

The second weakest opponent is the loose passive player. I think I will rather play small ball vs him, adding more hands into my limping range (as he wants to see flops, so there is no need to build up a pot with a marginal hand that has no playability postflop as we can get the job done only by limp/betting IP). I think I might try to limp/bet if checked to with Q6, K5o type of hands vs him. He will rarely bluff or abuse our limps, so it gives us cheaper prize on our steals.

The two toughest opponent in HU matches imo are the Maniac(LAG bad player) and LAG(good player). I think we should rather try to open a relatively tighter range vs them as they will 3bet us a lot, raise our limps a lot, play back postflop etc. This comes to tell that aggression is super important in HU matches and I don't think anyone can claim he is a good HU player if he doesn't play LAG style.

I will usually open raise the hands that you mentioned about. I will leave it open for the players to share their opinion. Maybe some HU pro will come along and give you better hints.

Cheers : )
    • PrzeoRski
      PrzeoRski
      Bronze
      Thanks for answer, I'm reading now book "Heads-Up No-Limit Hold'em by Collin Moshman" - it's quite good. But I see heads up could be very interesting game until there is a lot stuff to learn and apply.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PrzeoRski
      Thanks for answer, I'm reading now book "Heads-Up No-Limit Hold'em by Collin Moshman" - it's quite good. But I see heads up could be very interesting game until there is a lot stuff to learn and apply.
      I read it myself some time ago. Really good stuff. But that's always to be expected from mister Moshman.