FL: Reads vs Outs and Odds

• Odieone
      Odieone
      Bronze
      I have noticed from the videos how cornholio always talks about how he "knows" he is behind but he bets anyways. Why is that a good move?

For example,
      if you hit trips, you have a good hand. But you need 46:1 odds to bet again.

In my last hand,

I hit top pair, Aces but my 10 kicker made me nervous. The rest were rainbow rags with no straight and flushes possible but I "knew" I was beat. I folded because I didnt get the right pot odds(which supported my feel that I should fold. ) As it turns out, the winner had a better kicker.

I know there will be times when the outs and odds won't support my read. My question is when do you pay attention to your outs and odds more.

What is the difference of tilting and "knowing when you are beat" ?

Odie
  • 12 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Odieone
      For example,
      if you hit trips, you have a good hand. But you need 46:1 odds to bet again.
      I don't understand you. Why do you need odds to bet? Never heart of.

The reason why you calldown even if you know that you are beat is because first you are still ahead sometimes! Second you will be bluffed a lot if they notice that you fold so lightly = you will fold nearly always the better hand.
    • Odieone
      Odieone
      Bronze
      Generally with two pairs or better I don't fold it.

But thats my question, how do you use the outs and odds? When you have trips, you have terrible odds especially since I play micro. the pots don't go over $1 most times on a FL10/20 so I find it hard to find the odds you need. But your hand is awesome. dont worry I dont fold these.

I find that I play stronger when I follow the SHC and now the post flop strategies and cornholio's play advise like basing my call on how my opponents bet and reading the community cards. But I can't process the outs and odds into my play or should i just forget it when I play at this limit.
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      Ok, I'm scratching my head at exactly what it is you mean!

You use your odds and outs mostly when you are drawing. If you are holding a good made hand you rarely need to consider your odds because you are mostly betting and raising.

To be honest, I would suggest you just reread the article in the bronze section, because it seems that you don't quite understand it yet.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      You don't need to worry about your odds when you are probably ahead so it isn't important that you have only a few outs.
    • Odieone
      Odieone
      Bronze
      Hammer: Sorry buddy.. I have been reading and reading the bronze and basic strategies. When I was reading, I always hear in the video's "I got good odds ... probably ahead... " and I didnt want to be ignoring something I had to be mindful of. Thanks for the advice.

ciRith: Thanks.. I think that answers my question.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      There are situations where you thnik that you are ahead but at the same time you fear a raise so the coach says that even if he is behind that he has outs to draw to.

A good example is a set on a 3-suited/4-suited turn where you are probably ahead but if the opponent raises you you are probably behind while having around 10 clean outs which makes the initial bet easier. :)

Don't hesitate if you understand something not completly as this is the only way to improve your game.
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ciRith
      There are situations where you thnik that you are ahead but at the same time you fear a raise so the coach says that even if he is behind that he has outs to draw to.

A good example is a set on a 3-suited/4-suited turn where you are probably ahead but if the opponent raises you you are probably behind while having around 10 clean outs which makes the initial bet easier. :)

Don't hesitate if you understand something not completly as this is the only way to improve your game.

I think that example is probably the sort of thing that Odieone is getting confused with.

I agree with ciRith completely that asking questions will help you improve. Poker is a difficult game to master (unless you're a poker god like Bryce, Hoss, Korn or PokerHammer).

:)
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by PokerHammer
      Originally posted by ciRith
      I agree with ciRith completely that asking questions will help you improve. Poker is a difficult game to master (unless you're a poker god like Bryce, Hoss, Korn or PokerHammer, ciRith).

:)
      You always forget the best of all?!
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Ye, I don't see my name anywhere.
    • DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      I was going to mention Yoghi... but that would be like stating the obvious...
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      Sorry.

Obviously I meant to include ciRith, Yoghi, frzl and everyone else involved with PokerStrategy!

:D
    • Odieone
      Odieone
      Bronze
      You are all gods to me. :D