[NL2-NL10] AJ top pair overplay on the flop?

• m213ti
      m213ti
      Bronze
      PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

Button ($4.07)
      Hero (SB) ($5.39)
      BB ($2.50)
      UTG ($6.25)
      UTG+1 ($2.50)
      MP1 ($5.23)
      MP2 ($3.60)
      MP3 ($3.86)
      CO ($5)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, A
      4 folds, MP3 bets $0.15, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.45, 1 fold, MP3 calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.95) 8, A, 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.80, MP3 raises to $1.60, Hero raises to $4.94 (All-In), MP3 calls $1.81 (All-In)

Total pot: $7.77 | Rake: $0.32
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello m213ti,

What's the purpose of the 3bet here vs the opponent? Do you do it for value or why do you 3bet? But otherwise not much to comment vs his stack but you should be already asking preflop what to do with the hand. Myself I can't really see many worse Ax hands in his range and with 3betting you are just kicking out all weaker hands.

Best Regards.
    • m213ti
      m213ti
      Bronze
      I don't want to play OOP, and don't want to fold AJ(they steal too often). With 3-betting I just want him to fold.

As played, do you think, should I play b/f or c/f on the flop? You are right about his range, I don't beat anything here(except FD, maybe).
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by m213ti
      I don't want to play OOP, and don't want to fold AJ(they steal too often). With 3-betting I just want him to fold.

As played, do you think, should I play b/f or c/f on the flop? You are right about his range, I don't beat anything here(except FD, maybe).
      What's your plan with the hand preflop then? If for example he 4bets you? I see those kind of stacks and not even full stacks very often go broke very loose. Therefore it doesn't really make sense to 3bet if you also don't plan to play for the stacks. Also it's very likely that you are going to play OOP vs him while he is going to Call you anyways if he is a loose player. Which of course doesn't mean it's bad but we wont hit always and will be difficult for us to continue postflop without a specific plan.

Well, how can you ever Check/Fold the flop with TP? Or Bet/Fold? Usually if you 3bet it preflop then it's not only for fold equity, especially vs those loose opponents but it's rather for value, therefore we are going broke.