Termi8r

• Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Hi there,

I started playing poker in 2007. Initially just donking around various poker clients until I discovered PokerStrategy.com were I started playing SSS. I played semi-successfully up until NL50 or so but did my life on NL100.

I then switched to full-ring and later played mostly 6-max up to a breakeven (rakeback pro) level on NL50. In addition I ventured into live poker and had a successfull run and ended up an overall winner.

In and around 2010 my studies started to consume/demand most of my time and I decided to quit poker roughly about 14 times over a two year stretch. I finally managed to escape from my PhD degree in 2011.

Now to the future...I decide to join the NL beginner forum to systematically build a solid poker knowledge foundation. It is so easy to delude yourself and think you are a good player when in fact you suck. Blaming break-even poker on bad run is just lame.

So I deposited $200 in PokerStars and managed to grind it up $310 playing Nl5 zoom poker and this is were I stand. I hope to climb the limits and work consistantly on my game in order to improve.

Cheers
  • 11 replies
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I don't really know exactly why I play. I love to compete and see it as a challenge I guess at the moment. Maybe if I get play well enough in the future I'll be able to make some extra money.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I guess all the types of tilt Jared Tendler speaks about is applicable to me. I would add another type of tilt called "Internet Tilt" to that list. That's when the internet is slow and disconnecting all the time. Sends me over the edge!

Another weakness is calling big bets on the river with one-paired hands. I might catch some bluffs but usually burns me money.

Slow playing / trapping too much and losing value or getting sucked out.

Another weakness is playing low BI (<$10) MTT (+1000 ppl) tournaments, they take all your time and even if you have like a +100 ROI you still not making nearly as much or as consistent as you would have made on the cash tables. I should focus on one game type.

Playing omaha.

Not understanding fully the difference between my skill / my opponents skill / and the effect of variance on the results in the short term.

Not studying poker enough. Just play / play / play and never evaluate my play. Just looking at the graph -> +ve == happy. -ve == unhappy

Probably many more...

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Hmmmm....play hands with good chance of winning and bet strong with them I guess.
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I think if CO/BU steals a lot and fold to 3-bets lots then I think it's ok to re-steal without too much risk. If you have very tight players in the blinds then you could steal against them from BU. If you are in position and you have a loose player limping you could isolate him with Ax, Kx, Qx type hands. Also calling a raise with suited connectors in position against a single raise from tight player and a few callers.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I play mainly short handed (6-max). My question is regarding small pocket pairs (22-66) in early position. People (Nl10 and below) rarely fold / believe you have a strong hand even raising from EP. Double barreling with underpearz is meh... You seldom have the situation when you flop a set + other guy have as strong hand to pay you off. HEM says I'm losing with these hands in EP...Is it ok to just fold them? Or worse limp/call? ?(

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

AKo = 46.32%
      Top 5% = 53.68%
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      GL :)

If you want/need any help dont come running to me....haha.
      I am here to help. Plus I have gr8 internet so if you need let me know.

btw long time.
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      I am supposed to have a 10Mb/s line from the main supplier...too bad they steal cables every second month or so...

Yeah, starting from scratch now and building up a BR from NL5 and doing all the basic theory again. Lots of fun working on poker theory.
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      "...too bad they steal cables every second month or so..."

i moved from adsl about 2 years ago.

3g works well here. I am not sure how far you are from me but if you close to the lakeview tower (where steven redford had his shop) then cellc and 8ta good. (Although it is early days with 8ta. )

Phone me. We could test it @your home.
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

Preflop KsQs is 50.76%
      and 3d3c is 49.24%

after the flop it changes to
      KsQs is 26.46%
      and 3d3c is 73.54% to win by the river.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

You have 9 outs to make your hand with one card to come, thus you have roughly 18% equity.

You need to call $0.22 to win a total pot of $1.13 so you need roughly 19.4% equity to call for the current pot odds alone. This makes the decision quite close. But if you consider that more money will probably go into the pot if you hit your flush, this gives you the correct implied odd to call here.

It is possible however that another 6clubs or 3clubs gives you the flush and him the full house. This is unlikely however since he checked the flop.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Over pair on montone flop
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

OESD OOP Deepstacks

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

Jeks bad hand...

This shows how I still have some thinking to develop in terms of post-flop play.

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

Board: 8:heart: J:spade: 9:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    41.40%  41.40%   0.00% { KsQd }
      MP3    58.60%  58.60%   0.00% { 7h7c }

I think if you have initiative on the flop you could successfully c-bet here as your equity to win + the fold equity is big enough make it a profitable play.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

I guess all the types of tilt Jared Tendler speaks about is applicable to me. I would add another type of tilt called "Internet Tilt" to that list. That's when the internet is slow and disconnecting all the time. Sends me over the edge!

Heh, sometimes it's not only the internet connection itself, I have sometimes problems with some of my poker sites. :( But this definitely makes titly, I guess I have lost overall nice sum of money just because of this! Lucky that I don't play tournaments. :D

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Playing omaha.

Huge variance, what can I say. :P Wouldn't advice you can't take tilt and huge swings.

Not studying poker enough. Just play / play / play and never evaluate my play. Just looking at the graph -> +ve == happy. -ve == unhappy

Guess you are not the only one, a lot of us have been through that phase where you put more effort into playing while studying actually is the most part of the game. You will fix the leaks and wont lose with it during the game and move up faster. If you move up you will have still the leak which you had earlier and lose even more. Just take a video and cut it apart and watch 1/2 of it and next time another part. Start doing 1/2 of the learning path and then add more and more till you get used to it.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. Against specific opponents we adjust, either wider range or tighter range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands. As for example stealing too many hands from SB and being out of position.

If you are in position and you have a loose player limping you could isolate him with Ax, Kx, Qx type hands.

Not only with those hands but even with suited connectors, maybe even connectors and of course PPs.

Also calling a raise with suited connectors in position against a single raise from tight player and a few callers.

The implied odds for suited connectors are very strong therefore I totally agree to play them in multiway pots but try to watch out what you are doing with them and don't overplay pair and sometimes even 2pairs/flushes/straights.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.