From $5 to Infinity, a FL Blog...

• VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      Site: PokerStars
      Game: Fixed Limit Shorthanded
      Objective: Beat $0.5/$1 by year end
      Reason of failure in the previous times: Some kind of strange Blowup, not really tilt but going up levels and losing, even if i knew i would blow my BR
      Beating a level: Win 1000 BB and play at least 20k hands
      Previous Blog: How is my starting capital doing?
      Biggest advantage: Learning from mistakes
      Biggest problem: Weak Mindset

The other day i was just sitting in front of PC and remember i had money on Stars, log on and i had $4.5. Started playing $0.05/$0.1 Fixed Limit Short handed. This is the result:

Current BR: $28.19
  • 52 replies
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      Hi there... since last time i hit a 80 BB downswing so my BR didn't get a lot bigger. But had an interesting hand:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q, Q.
      MP3 raises, Hero 3-Bets, BU caps, 2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13.4 SB) 7, 7, 7 (3 players)
      MP3 bets, Hero raises, BU 3-Bets, MP3 calls, Hero caps, BU calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (12.7 BB) 9 (3 players)
      MP3 bets, Hero raises, BU calls, MP3 3-Bets, Hero caps, BU calls, MP3 calls.

River: (24.7 BB) K (3 players)
      MP3 bets, Hero calls, BU calls.

Final Pot: 27.3 BB.

I'll always "hide" the results (you have to highlight to see them) so that if anyone wants to discuss the hand he won't be influenced by the results. This were loose players, always raising one another and playing bad over all. I posted my hand in the hand review forum and the judge said i kinda overplayed if they were not maniacs, otherwise it would be ok. Even knowing the results i don't see me doing anything else beside not capping the turn as any 9X would donk, but for 10 cents i guess it wasn't that bad!! Guess i overplayed the turn a bit :f_biggrin:

Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, sevens full of queens(Qs Qh).
      MP3 shows a full-house, nines full of sevens(9d 9c).
      BU shows three of a kind, sevens(Ts Ad).

MP3 wins with a full-house, nines full of sevens(9d 9c).

Current BR: $30
    • luckygan2002
      luckygan2002
      Bronze
      Hey there,

Nice start for you. Keep it up and also keep us posted ;)
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      Originally posted by luckygan2002
      Keep it up and also keep us posted ;)
      That's the idea. Thank you!!

P.s. - If you play limit and have a blog plz post link here. Would love to follow more FL blogs, don't see them enough!!
    • Borisian
      Borisian
      Bronze
      Hey another FL blog, I'm subscribed
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      In the zone+weekend Fishes = moneyzzz :f_biggrin:

I won't bother you too much, this is just the 3 most profitable hands of the day, my Full House per 100 hands ratio today was really something :f_cool:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, A.
      MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero raises, BU 3-Bets, 2 folds, MP2 calls, Hero caps, BU calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (13.4 SB) Q, 3, 6 (3 players)
      MP2 bets, Hero raises, BU calls, MP2 3-Bets, Hero calls, BU calls.

Turn: (11.2 BB) 3 (3 players)
      MP2 bets, Hero calls, BU folds.

River: (13.2 BB) A (2 players)
      MP2 bets, Hero raises, MP2 3-Bets, Hero caps, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 21.2 BB.
      Results follow:
      Hero shows a full-house, aces full of threes(A A).MP2 shows two pairs, queens and threes(8 Q).Hero wins with a full-house, aces full of threes(A A).

Play hand

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, J.
      2 folds, CO calls, BU raises, Hero 3-Bets, BB calls, CO calls, BU caps, Hero calls, BB calls, CO calls.

Flop: (16 SB) J, A, 2 (4 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, CO bets, BU folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (9.5 BB) 7 (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, CO bets, Hero raises, BB folds, CO 3-Bets, Hero calls.

River: (15.5 BB) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.1 BB.
      Results follow:
      Hero shows a full-house, jacks full of aces(J J).CO shows three of a kind, aces(6 A).Hero wins with a full-house, jacks full of aces(J J).

The "Call" on the river was because he was all-in, don't get any ideas wrong

And now my best Slowplay EVER

Play hand

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T, Q.
      MP2 folds, Hero raises, CO calls, 2 folds, BB 3-Bets, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9.4 SB) Q, 3, 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets, CO raises, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.7 BB) A (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (7.7 BB) K (3 players)
      BB bets, Hero raises, CO folds, BB 3-Bets, Hero caps, BB calls.

Final Pot: 15.7 BB.
      Results follow:
      Hero shows a flush, ace high(T Q).BB shows a straight, ace high(J T).Hero wins with a flush, ace high(T Q).

Current BR:$33.90
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      There i was having a very very cold deck (of course some money was lost due to tilt also), on somewhat a downswing, then BAMMM, won like 60BB in 100 hands, was hitting everything, even when i folded. SCAARYY... :f_o:

Current BR: $34.79
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      And there i go, if i'm winning more than the Rake i'm happy :f_biggrin:

Strange upswing happened again, somewhat softer but the winnings were similar...

Current BR: $39.65
    • burak220
      burak220
      Bronze
      nice blog, I'll be starting one of FL hold 'em too after taking a break for a while. Just out of curiosity, How come you didn't cap with JJ on the flop because from the studying i've done they all said to try to get in as much money in as you can if you hit and clearly you did hit so that if it goes to the river and their hand isn't very strong they will still call because they are getting most of the time pot odds of something like 17 to 1.
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      Originally posted by burak220
      How come you didn't cap with JJ on the flop
      Was slow playing a bit, i had a monster so i guessed i could do that. Raising on the flop is a very strong move that isn't really that profitable as you only can raise a big blind, in the turn i could raise a Big Bet, unfortunately the other guy folded.

I probably got an extra 5 cents by raising the turn only and if i raised the river (but not the turn) i bet i would get at least an extra 15 cents. Purely slow playing the hand.

Raising flops is pretty good when you have to protect a hand or want some cheap info. If a guy 3 bets flop you can pretty much lay down you top pair as he'll probably have a monster.

You'll get some reads easily when you get the gist of it. Like a call on the flop+donk/raise on the turn means he made his hand (probably flush, if a flush draw on flop is possible)

good luck, plz post link of your blog here when you make it ;)
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      Well i'm on a new all time high BUT i'm really tired of these last few k hands. It seems that right after i get to new all time high i go in a 80BB/2000 hands downswing/lateralization. I'm thinking of stopping one or 2 days and review my game, as i have lot of hands that are marked on pokertracker!!

For your amusement:

Play hand

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, K.
      MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero raises, SB folds, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (6.4 SB) T, 7, J (3 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, Hero bets, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (4.7 BB) 7 (3 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.7 BB) Q (3 players)
      BB bets, MP3 raises, Hero folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 8.7 BB.

And no, i wasn't sleepy...

Current BR: $42.75 Current Limit: $0.05/$0.1 VPP: 190 FPP: 190
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      This are the kind of things that happen in my micro heaters. I play in two tables and these 3 hands happened in sequence (so in 4 hands these are 3 of them). The other hand was pocket 5's but i didn't flop a set, bummer :f_biggrin:

Play hand

Preflop: Hero is BU with T, T.
      MP3 folds, CO calls, Hero raises, 2 folds, CO calls.

Flop: (5.4 SB) 8, 3, 5 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets, CO calls.

Turn: (3.7 BB) Q (2 players)

River: (5.7 BB) 4 (2 players)
      CO bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.7 BB.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of tens(T T).
      CO shows a pair of fours(A 4).

Hero wins with a pair of tens(T T).

Play hand

Preflop: Hero is BU with T, T.
      2 folds, CO calls, Hero raises, 2 folds, CO calls.

Flop: (5.4 SB) 8, T, Q (2 players)

Turn: (3.7 BB) 5 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets, CO raises, Hero 3-Bets, CO caps, Hero calls.

River: (11.7 BB) 7 (2 players)
      CO bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.7 BB.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, tens(T T).
      CO shows two pairs, queens and eights(Q 8).

Hero wins with three of a kind, tens(T T).

Play hand

Preflop: Hero is CO with T, T.
      MP3 raises, Hero calls, 2 folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.4 SB) T, 2, 2 (3 players)
      BB checks, MP3 bets, Hero calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.2 BB) 3 (2 players)
      MP3 bets, Hero calls.

River: (6.2 BB) 9 (2 players)
      MP3 bets, Hero raises, MP3 3-Bets, Hero caps, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 14.2 BB.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, tens full of twos(T T).
      MP3 shows a flush, ace high(A 4).

Hero wins with a full-house, tens full of twos(T T).

Current BR: $49.59 Current Limit: $0.05/$0.1 VPP: 234 FPP: 234
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      OMG I found the juiciest table EVER. Example of a hand. It's not that i was admired because i won, it's more like i was SHOCKED by their hands... I don't even know if they knew the rules of poker!!

Play hand

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9, Q.
      CO posts deadblind, MP3 calls, CO checks, BU calls, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 2, 5, 5 (5 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, BU checks.

Turn: (2.5 BB) J (5 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO bets, BU calls, SB folds, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

River: (6.5 BB) 3 (4 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, BU bets, Hero raises, MP3 folds, CO calls, BU 3-Bets, Hero caps, CO calls, BU calls.

Final Pot: 18.5 BB.
      Results follow:Hero shows a flush, queen high(9 Q).BU shows two pairs, jacks and fives(J 9).CO shows two pairs, fives and twos(2 4).Hero wins with a flush, queen high(9 Q).

I have to make some rules as i have lost some money playing tired. Just yesterday i was playing at 2 AM, insta $5 loss :f_mad:

Current BR: $45.97 Current Limit: $0.05/$0.1 VPP: 237 FPP: 237
      Bronze
      nice done. mate. nice looking graph.
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      Damn my old graph is a month old. Update:

Current BR: $50.94 Current Limit: $0.05/$0.1 VPP: 348 FPP: 348 Winrate: 1.85BB/100

I'm in the process of changing my game and make it more aggressive preflop. It has improve my winrate a lot WHEN i hit and it was going great (it was responsible by the $34 to $50 upswing). Can't seem to do much about those downswings. That last downswing i felt like i was run over by a truck!! When i had something the other guy had a monster. Like trips vs fullhouse, straight vs quads!!

When you have initiative preflop people don't seem to believe you as much when you hit the flop so they are more willing to pay when you do!!
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      This was one of the most satisfying hands i played yet. My preflop aggression on that session kinda made me look like a maniac i guess. The hand didn't take more than 10 seconds after the the other guys folded. It was a raising festival :f_grin:

Play hand

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, A.
      3 folds, BU calls, SB calls, Hero raises, BU 3-Bets, SB folds, Hero caps, BU calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 2, A, 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets, BU raises, Hero 3-Bets, BU caps, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.5 BB) K (2 players)

River: (16.5 BB) 5 (2 players)

Final Pot: 24.5 BB.
      Results follow:
      Hero shows three of a kind, aces(A A).BU shows two pairs, kings and fives(5 K).Hero wins with three of a kind, aces(A A).

I think that my preflop aggression is going nicely. 7 of my TOP 10 hands were after 14/05 (when i started playing like this, around hand 21k).

Update: Change that to 8 of the TOP 10 :f_love:
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      Weekly Update 1

I will make a weekly update from here on to better view my progress. My weekly progress objectives are 5k hands and winning from 75 to 100BB. Of course it's just "loose" objectives as i hate being tied to short term objectives, but it will help to give perspective on my progress.

Last week (Monday to Monday):

Volume: 4.5K hands OK Winnings: 103BB OK

Lifetime graph:

Current BR: $58.02 Current Limit: $0.05/$0.1 VPP: 402 FPP: 402 Winrate: 1.88BB/100
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Looks like it's going the right way, UP UP AND AWAY!
    • poompah
      poompah
      Bronze
      Slowplaying against fish is generally a bad idea -- calling stations cannot call unless you bet -- and they call two bets with any pair or draw.

You WR is suffering due to your FPS. Slowplay when you have the board crushed and there are no draws for people to call with. Of course sometimes you pick up a BB when they catch a pair on later street instead of folding the Flop -- but you also miss a ton of value by not betting/raising when they will call with draws to a big hand.

If you want to get it capped with a big hand -- that only happens against other big hands -- think about it -- they MUST have something worth calling with already if they are to hit a good 2nd-best hand on later streets -- so you are losing value by slowplaying when they will call now and raise later.

Slow-playing may make you feel clever -- your ego loves to think you outplayed or tricked your opponent -- but poker is about winning money and you are slowplaying yourself to a lower WR. Thats not clever -- it coulld be a 1BB per (slow-played) hand leak.

To the three hands in sequence:

Hand 1:
      Looks fine to me. River donks are almost always an improved hand or a bluff -- so raising with 1-pair hands is usually not a good idea.
      Take note how these players call with poor draws.

Hand 2:
      There are way more 2-pair/set combos than made-straights in your opponents range so you should at least raise the River. The 7 makes no difference unless your opponent is a total donk with 96/46 (almost never).
      Raise it for value and either call the 3-bet or cap depending on opponents tendencies.
      They play 2-pair as the nuts -- and not raising the Turn is losing value for you. Yes you end up losing sometimes to J9 or QQ -- but you win more in the long-run versus his range.
      If you only ever cap with the nuts -- you are losing value because you are playing your opponents best hands -- instead of playing your opponents range.
      This is an important concept you need to grasp to maximise your WR.

Hand 3:
      Do not cold-call with TT when you can get it HU with position with a 3-bet!!
      Raising gets you the initiative, position and probably dead-money from the BB -- dont underestimate the value of this!

As played -- raise the Flop. This is exactly the kind of Flop that makes a raise look really suspicious -- think about the times you seen this on poker TV! Your opponent wont believe you -- will certainly call with overcards -- will cap with an over-pair and at least calls with a Flush draw. THESE ARE THE ONLY HANDS YOU GET VALUE FROM ANYWAY.
      If the board was T52 rainbow then slowplaying is OK. This board is ripe for a raise and you threw away value when your opponent calls and improves on the Turn (he wont fold if he hits an overcard -- and in this case you really made a mess of the hand).

As played -- bet the Turn. You still may get calls from overcards (who just check-fold a miss on the River anyway -- or bluff 1 bet and fold) and you prob get calls from any pair, plus almost any heart, and quite possibly hands like A4/A5.
      Not betting the Turn cost you a TON.
      If your opponent is scared of the Flush card he may fold -- but if he has anything he calls -- and you wont get value from nothing hands!!
      Stop trying to extract 1BB from overcards or mid-PP and start trying to get value from draws and 2P+ hands.

If your opponent does not have a Flush but does have a SD hand you get 2BB by betting Turn and River -- your opponent wont raise you on that board with anything less than a very strong hand -- so you gain nothing by checking the Turn and hoping to raise a River donk (which wont happen very often).

Bet the Turn and River to get value from draws (big heart / any heart) and 1-pair hands and to maximise your value versus Turned or Rivered Flushes and sets.

You butchered this hand -- played exactly the way an FPS Fish would play it. So where is your edge?

• taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VirtuaGod
      My weekly progress objectives are 5k hands and winning from 75 to 100BB. Of course it's just "loose" objectives as i hate being tied to short term objectives, but it will help to give perspective on my progress.

You seem to underestimate variance! It's not very wise to set a goal to win 100BB in next 5k hands. You can play absolutely perfectly and still lose in this small sample. In fact, I wouldn't set results-oriented goals at all, this will make you focus on wrong things.

Anyway, nice to see a FL blog! Good luck :s_cool: