SpreeXXL's story

• SpreeXXL
      SpreeXXL
      Bronze
      Hello,

I started to play poker almost 6-7 months ago when i was an exchange student in Russia. I played with fellow foreigns from Dutch, Germany, Finland, USA and sometimes even guys from Kazakstan. Well the Kazakstans did not know anything about Texas Hold'em. They had always played 5 card poker with jokers (i am not sure if anyone of you know this type :P ). Well we managed to teach them the REAL game but they still sucked and we did not want to play with them anymore because it was boring. So we started to play with an American who was a little scum bag. At first he lied to us that he had never played poker before but after he shuffeled the cards it was abvious that he had played before. Mainly we played tournaments and couple of times i managed to win it. So now you know where i got the "taste" of poker. But i did not take it very seriously. Once when i visited my friends in Estonia they invited me into a home cash game and i won a little. After that i started to read about poker from the internet and i even bought 2 books from eBay. Harrington on Hold'em: Volume I: Strategic Play and Phil Gordon's Little Blue Book. Well the last one arrived earlier and i have to admit it was NOT a good book. I am not an expert but i would say that the man is gambling too much with some hands. Dan Harrington's style or the style he is writing about suites me more. I liked the book and would recommend to ready it.

Back to my life. Almost at the same time when i bought the books i found PokerStrategy.com. I joined the site and received the starting capital. I read the NL SSS strategies and took it very seriously. Thank's to the site i was able to make the differnce between good, bad and decent hands.

At first i started to play with 4 tables (it was a HUGE mistake). I was able to make a lot of PartyPoints but i lost money conctantly because i was not able to consentrate on all things. Within a month my bankroll decreased in size. Luckily i made some advertising and i managed to get $70 for advertised friends. When i received the money i had $75 left. At the same time I finished Dan Harrington's book and made some thoughts about the game. I reorganaised it from SSS into something new :P It is combination of SSS and BSS. Within couple of days i managed to build my bankroll over $100. I played NL10. I tried to play some NL25 games and i found that there is almost no differnce between NL10 and NL25 so is sticked to NL25. Within a week (i do not play a lot compared with other users here) i made it into $160. Now you know where i am at the moment.

I play usually aproximately 2 hours a day and only on 1 table. I think 1 table gives me the option to watch over all players. I can write down notesand it is easier to read people. I also started to add "little" fishes into my buddie list :P i am quite sure all of you have done it :)

My plans?

My goal is to collect $250 and make a shot on NL50. What to you think about the $250. Is it enough for exploring the new "continent"?

Another plan is to buy a new book: "No Limit Hold'em Theory and Practice" by David Sklansky, Ed Miller. What do you think of this book? Any other suggestions with books?

As i am MAC user i am sorry for not giving you any graphs about my winnings and losses.

Thank you for readying. I will try to update it regulary.

Raido
  • 6 replies
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Nice to see a new blog around, if you are playing SSS, 250$ is ok to take a shot at NL50 but for BSS you need at least 1250$. You really should stick to this because bad luck can always strike and you can lose your entire BR if you don't stick to BRM.

Good luck with your way up!
    • SpreeXXL
      SpreeXXL
      Bronze
      Thank you Zeffke!

By the way it seems like you can see future. Yesterday everything went all right. I played 2 hours like usually behind 1 table and i managed to profit $11.78 BUT today... I admit i made one stupid call and lost aprox. $4 because of it but beside that here is one great example for all of you:

Party Poker
      No Limit Holdem Ring game
      Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
      9 players
      Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP1 with K K
      2 folds, Hero raises to $1, 4 folds, SB raises to $6, BB folds, Hero calls all-in $4.4.
      Uncalled bets: $0.6 returned to SB.

Flop: 8 3 7 ($11.05, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $11.05)

Turn: 5 ($11.05, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $11.05)

River: Q ($11.05, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $11.05)

Results:
      Final pot: $11.05
      SB shows 7h 7c

Well i think the opponent wasn't a good player. Even if i had AK, AQ, i think i would have called. IF you have good hand, there is no need to reraise by 6. I think it was meant to be a steal reraise. Correct me if i think wrongly.

All comments are welcomed.

Todays tip for poker players. NEVER PLAY POKER WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY, IT MAKES YOU ANGRY! :)
    • SpreeXXL
      SpreeXXL
      Bronze
      Another morning started a little bit frustrating when i had to fold QQ after flop and did not get any good hands after that till this game:

Party Poker
      No Limit Holdem Ring game
      Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
      10 players
      Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is MP3 with A K
      2 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.25 (pot was $0.35), MP1 raises to $1, MP2 folds, Hero raises to $3.
      Uncalled bets: $2 returned to Hero.

Flop: J J K ($2.6, 2 players)

Turn: T ($2.6, 2 players)

River: 6 ($2.6, 2 players)

Results:
      Final pot: $2.6
      Hero shows Ah Kc
      MP1 shows 6h 6s

I really dishonor these people who can't fold their hands and start to unplug their internet cables. One of those was Nejra222 from PartyPoker

It is really idiotic if people unblug their cables just to see if they have a winning hand after the river or not. I would have to say, this guy won the pot in a really irritating way. Luckily i did not start to tilt and won some big pots with honor.
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      You can send an e-mail with his name to PartyPoker support, if it happens again they will take care of it, I had it last time with AA against KK and they told me it wasn't the first time he did this and they were going to take action against it :)
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello Spree, very nice blog, keep it up!

In regards to your lost Party Bonus - which you mentioned in another thread - please contact our support telling them that your Party bonus was deactivated so that they can try to re-activate it. This should be possible by now.

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • SpreeXXL
      SpreeXXL
      Bronze
      There has been too long time since i last wrote here something. Well during the time i have had my career's worst downswing. I lost with every damn hand. You name it. I even wrote about my downswing in the downswing reports section. My bankroll went down from $172 to $70. Last friday i had the first positive day during the downswing period. I am still playing NL 25 SSS and yesterday i ended up with $84 already. I am playing usually on 2 tables. I really hope my bad luck has ended and i can achive my goal to collect the $250. I HOPE TO MAKE IT BY THE END OF JUNE.

Oh i also played our community tournament yesterday NL Hold'em. My first hand was T T. Kaitz20 raised and i called. The flop was 9 9 J. We both checked. Turn was Q and i raised half a pot. Kaitz20 went all-in. It was very hard decision for me at this time but i folded. Later he told me that he had A K. After half an hour i was eliminated by the same guy :P This time i made a stupid call with A 6 suited on big blind. I thought he was bluffing me and i raised him 3 times and he went all-in AGAIN. This time i called but i lost. The flop was Q K 6 and Kaitz20 showed K Q. Better luck next time or should i say better reads next time :)

When i tried to go to sleep i wasn't able to fall a sleep because my mind was still in the tournament. I think i made stupid fold at first if he really had A K and i made an awful (read too risky) call later.

Good luck to all of you!