Flash! Wu-oooh, Saviour of the Universe

• FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      Hello everyone! I'm Davin from Canada.

The blog title refers to this:

Here are 5 poker facts about myself.

(1) I am 18 - almost 19- years old and have been playing poker on and off for about 3 years now.

(2) I play cash games and SNGs at PartyPoker.

(3) I think I am a stronger cash game player but I enjoy playing SNGs more because you don't have to be so nitty (especially in late game phase).

(4) My current ROI is around +1% after about 150 tournaments and I'm not too sure if it is because of bad luck or poor play. I passed ICM trainer light and am continuing to work with the regular ICM trainer to improve my game.

(5) I have built my bankroll up from $50 ---> $150 through mostly NL2 and NL4 at PartyPoker. I used to play a bit too loose and still stack off a bit too light. I am working on these leaks through LeakBuster (just learning how to use it).

My current 5 goals for April are this:

SNGS

[ ] Read 1 article per day in the month of April pertaining to SNGs.
      [ ] Practice 100 random ICM situations before I begin each session.
      [ ] Play 20 SNGs per day.
      [ ] Become a regular at $3 SNGs and show a (+)ive ROI.
      [ ] Reach a $200 bankroll through solely winning SNGs.

CASH

[ ] Read the post flop articles over again.
      [ ] Learn to make a game plan. Ie: (2 or 3 streets of value etc.)
      [ ] Learn to abuse my position and play in position against weak opponents.
      [ ] Tighten up my game / Move up to NL 10 some day.
      [ ] Do a full session review with LeakBuster and analyze my game. Also, post 5 hands a week to session review.

My 3 long term goals (more like dreams) are as follows:

[ ] Reach 1k bankroll
      [ ] Play NL 25
      [ ] Become a consistent, winning, thinking player that truly knows the game of poker and be able to hand read very well.

*Disclaimer* This blog will include average graphs, poorly played hands and terrible suck outs.

HOWEVER, I will aim to entertain my readers. I am hoping that others will come here and help me improve my game and maybe just MAYBE I can help others improve their own games.

Cheers!
  • 103 replies
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      Day #1

Very bored at school so I am doing my ICM training now. 110 situations where I am the caller and I went 101/110 for 92%. Not bad.

Then I did 100 random situations and went 93/100. ICM training for today is complete.

As a side note, is 92-93% good for a SNG player or should I be nailing 99%-100% every time?

I will probably play some cash games this afternoon at school since if the Internet goes out during a tournament, it is a massive annoyance and not so much in a cash game.

I will update this as I play today. =)

Have a good day everyone.

Here's my graph for today. Got put in some sick situations today. I lost a full house to quads near the end for that HUGE drop 200BB deep. Lost a KK vs AA all in preflop. I also made a mistake against a fish on a dry board like A 4 T rainbow and I just saw him stack off with a weak ace so I went all in and he held A4o :( :f_confused:

All in all, a good day at the tables. I enjoyed myself and tightened up my cash game. I did get quad aces today on the flop while I held AA :D He called with a full house so I stacked him. :f_cool:

Bankroll +$6.67
      New BR= $158.79
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      Day #2-

I read lots of articles and watched some TwiceT videos about playing SH and tried my luck there. I must say it is alot different! My first hand there I was dealt JJ and a dry 2 6 T rainbow board came so I continuation bet as I 3bet preflop. Then another blank peeled off so I checked Iand they checked back. Then I checked again to induce bluff but they made a large bet and I called almost a whole stack (still with overpair) and they showed QQ. Hand after against the same opponent I got into a 4bet pot (I 4bet they called, which was weird). They ended up nailing a set of 9s on a dry board so I lost another stack. This made me lose my winnings from the day before to end up about even again. I really do like SH though, but it will take some getting used to for sure. Tonight I think I want to try some more SNGs or else SH again (only 1 or 2 tables until I get used to it).

Just finished up my ICM training for the day. In 100 caller spots I went 94/100 and in 100 push or fold spots at random I was 90/100. I got confused at some in the SB with things like 32o when sometimes it is any two and sometimes it is around 90%. Anyways, I'm off to play some SNGs (20 or so) and see how I do. I am cashing out $100 to use at Pokerstars also tracked through PokerStrategy and keeping $50 at PartyPoker for now to use this week. If SNGs go poorly I'll play some NL2 and see if I can crush it now with my gained experience. :s_cool:

Played 20 SNGs and cashed $6.50 profit with a ROI of around 30%. However, my EV adjusted ROI was lower like 10%. Is this normal as the strategy revolves around stealing blinds and that if we are called we are typically behind?

Anyways, crushed some NL2 for about an hour and made $7. Seems very easy and fishy now compared to NL4. Played some NL4 for about 15 minutes and broke even. My bankroll at PartyPoker is now $53.07 after cashing out $100 to my bank (for Stars) and that bad SH run last night. Might listen to a few videos and head to sleep. :f_cool:

Tomorrow I have a badminton tournament in boys doubles for my school. Should be fun! This is what I'll look like (except not asian :s_cool: )

Cheers everyone.
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Hi, nice blog :)

I find it hard to see what game you want to play the most, I strongly advice to either pick cash games or sit n gos but don't play them at the same time until you are solid in one of them.

I personally used to play SNGs and now CGs. And enjoy the switch but play MTTs now and again...
      What limit are you playing for CGs?

Also add me as a friend on here or add my Skype for a session. I'll have a look at some hands you feel like you played well/horrible and were discuss them.

Let me know,
      Damian.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      flaaaashh! wuooooohhhh king of the impossible
      he's for everyoneofus
      stand for everyoneofus

flaash i love you!

:D

where is the "entertain readers"? :f_p:
      well, cash sh is entertaining. need nerves though
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      Sorry! I aim to keep my blog poker oriented for now until I become stronger as a player. I will add bits of personal info as well and some interesting videos and songs that I like. :D

Well turns out I won districts in badminton today and will be moving on to southern Ontario next Thursday. :f_cool:

This weekend I am in a ball hockey tournament which I am hoping to win with a few friends from around here. Should be fun but with little time for poker between my girlfriend, ball hockey and homework.

Some more about me:

I love playing video games on xbox 360. Madden 12, NHL 12 and MW3 with some Black Ops mixed in (I still prefer BO>MW3).

I used to love playing Pokemon, Harvest Moon, Super Mario and Zelda years ago but haven't played any since really. I might pick up one of these to play for nostalgia purposes. :s_cool:

Also, I love older rock music. I don't like very many mainstream songs from today. I should have been born in the 70s =P

Here's a song about my bankroll (I hope)

Today, I plan to work on my post flop play down all three streets. I think I am stacking off too light vs some opponents and too tight against others.

Also, my hand reading needs some work. I have a hard time putting somebody on a hand. I need to find a video for this. If anyone has any suggestions I am willing to take a look. Other than that, I think Spongeh brings up a good point about choosing one or the other. It's tough because I enjoy both and am profitable at both (obviously it would be better to become pro at one first). I'll update some more as the day goes on how my NL4 FR session goes and if I decide to play some SNGs.

Cheers everyone.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Nice blog sir.
      I think this will get interesting enough for me to follw so ok, I subscribe. :)
      But wait, wtf, no Halflife or Halo mentioned there? Tut tut sir! :D
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Congrats on badminton.

I used to play pro, on the console and PC for call of duty 4. Btw just so you know COD4>all.
      None of this new shit they are brining out.
      As for halo, well I love that game. But unless you were American, you don't get much recognition. I'm English btw.

As for pOker, I'm following the blog. :)
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      I have honestly never picked up Halo. I might have to give it a try. Is it much better than the CODs? And I agree Spungeh, I prefer the older COD4 to any of these new games. The game is a bit ridiculous nowadays.

Yay, some blog followers! :D
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Why have you not got this anywhere!?

• Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FlashDavin
      I have honestly never picked up Halo. I might have to give it a try. Is it much better than the CODs? And I agree Spungeh, I prefer the older COD4 to any of these new games. The game is a bit ridiculous nowadays.

Yay, some blog followers! :D
      Complete depends where you want to play.. for a FPS, halo doesnt really have much competition bar CoD.. but CoD made a much bigger impact.. maybe due to being on more consoles etc.. but CoD adds a more element of.. 'the need to let casual gamers play' the whole... 'easy to play, hard to master' concept..

Halo i would log on.. get 100kills and not die, then leave.. CoD i would get the occasional 'bad beat' which resulted in the best getting better, and the bad getting worse. Whereas Cod people could 'catch up' so to speak.

Although saying that, the 'competitive' scene had great games.. it was more about teamwork, leadership, communication etc.. knowing the game, while the naturally talented (Im a big ego freak, like me) playing the best games in 4v4 games.. and then the ones that thought they were good and werent, but refused to learn got thrown away.

Kinda like poker :D
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      More often that not COD is about using your head, Halo is more about Skill.
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MattDenness
      You could say that.. but then halo is quiet simply 2-3Burst with BR and then hit them ? Maybe throw a nade before hand and then 1-2burst with BR and then hit them... snipers even easier..
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Spungeh
      You could say that.. but then halo is quiet simply 2-3Burst with BR and then hit them ? Maybe throw a nade before hand and then 1-2burst with BR and then hit them... snipers even easier..
      Cod is simply 1 quick burst rather than 2-3, right? :P

Any random guy on Cod can appear and kill me easy, whereas if a terrible player gets a shot off on me on Halo first, then you can often out BR them.

For example, I could get lucky vs an awesome Cod player, but If i was to play any of the top players on Halo, I wouldn't stand a chance, I'm only Level 46 I think, but the difference of skill between this is unreal!

Maybe we should not hi-jack this guys Blog? lol :f_biggrin:
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Spungeh
      Cod is simply 1 quick burst rather than 2-3, right? :P

Any random guy on Cod can appear and kill me easy, whereas if a terrible player gets a shot off on me on Halo first, then you can often out BR them.

For example, I could get lucky vs an awesome Cod player, but If i was to play any of the top players on Halo, I wouldn't stand a chance, I'm only Level 46 I think, but the difference of skill between this is unreal!

Maybe we should not hi-jack this guys Blog? lol :f_biggrin:
      Cod. has no bunny hopping fuckers. :D Tbh im not one of those cod bum boys.. i love halo.. really do :) But i just prefore CoD.. the new games, have chanced and now they are more bursts.. on MW2 for instance, the Famas was a 2burst, unless in the head which was then 1 burst.. so I would get allot of 1 burst kills but the difference was.. people had a chance ha..

I never really played halo online, and onl ever on lan.. so i am like a level8 or something awful.. but then again, just played an hour session on cod.. and im level8.. and was steamrolling over the 10millionth prestige guys ha.

With the getting lucky yes.. in a team game.. 3 awful players can beat 1 decent player on halo.. 3 awful players will die v a decent play on Cod... Halo allows for mistakes..

2 situations the same for all of Cod and halo.. 1v3 situation.. on cod i could jump, smack to the floor and of taken all 3 out already, in a 360 motion and watch there heads in the floor..

Halo... 1v3 siutation.. i would bunny hop for the next 10minutes, while coming in and out of cover BR the bastards who run away to re-generate there shields.. and then have to take them down..

although saing that.. halo 3 was a 4v4 game.. 1v4 for the flag.. I had a sniper, and took them all down in 5bullets i think it was.. missed the last headshot :( and had to double shoot him for the return.. :D

He will like it its fine haha
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      Why have you not got this anywhere!?

Thanks for that! I was assuming most would know the reference but then again many might not!

And yes, I support video game chat in my blog. Keeps things interesting! I might have to pick up Halo and give it a try. I guess that's why a lot of the top players in COD choose to camp to get high killstreaks; noobs can easily kill you with 3 bullets or a random grenade. If you camp, and are a great marksmen, you can easily build killstreaks that enable you to get your kills to around 30 even if only 10 were from your gun.

Mini update:

Read a few more SNG articles, watched 2 videos by <3 (I think anyways) and did 100 caller situations (97%) and 100 random situations (92%) in ICM.

Now it is time to go play around 20 tournaments and see if I can turn a profit! :f_cool:

*Gone fishing*

Session started well and I was around $5 up playing $1 10 man SNGs. Then a nightmarish session followed. I was pushing things like JTs from SB with an M of 4 and the BB woke up with a premium hand like AA KK QQ AK or AQ almost every time and I only managed to suck out 1 time (vs AA haha) out of around 15 instances. So I continued down that path and lost about 8 tournaments in a row cashing 3rd in only one (you can guess how I went busto vs KK).

After this, I think it's time to call it a night and lick my wounds going into tomorrow. I'm quite depressed with how this session ended up. I don't think my play was poor at all I just ran into monsters. Really doubting myself though as it is hard not to be results oriented.

Night folks.
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Not at all. I can run around and post 100+ kills or I can camp and do the same and just get bored. It's shotguns etc that ruin the game today.

As soon as you don't become result orientated. Is the day you make money.
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      Won ball hockey 13-4 in the finals.

Will update the blog further tomorrow night! Hope everyone is having a good weekend! =)
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      I have moved to PokerStars now and have been playing zoom. I love it so far =)

I lost 300 BB all in preflop with AA to JJ. Kind of upset about that. Otherwise, I am break even after that $15 loss in two days. Zoom is really really fun though.
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FlashDavin
      I have moved to PokerStars now and have been playing zoom. I love it so far =)

I lost 300 BB all in preflop with AA to JJ. Kind of upset about that. Otherwise, I am break even after that $15 loss in two days. Zoom is really really fun though.
      300bb deep :(
      What limit you playing now.. i took first stab at NL25 last night :D