Live hand vs fish A2o, $1/2 NL $40-$100 max

• altruist
      altruist
      Bronze
      I was playing a live hand a few days ago at Seneca Niagara, $1/2.

I bought in for $100 (after getting outdrawn) and I was dealt A2o on the button.

A player that everyone tagged at the table as a fish, limps in from UTG2.

Three other players call. I'm sitting on the button with A2o, usually not a great hand, but against a fish who will get it all-in with 88 with overcards on the board, not a bad hand.

So I raise it up to $14, hoping to isolate the fish.

I believe it came three way, fish called, another player called.

Flop comes AK9. Pot is roughly $52 after rake now. Fish leads out for $25. Other player folds.

I decide to call.

Against a competent player, I'm folding here. But knowing the fish could be playing TJ, TT, JJ, QQ, any king, any ace like this, and the fact the board has two high cards on it, his ace kicker is likely to be counterfeited. I decide to call, and see what he does on the turn. If he shoves the turn, I'm probably folding, unless of course I hit a 2.

Turn is an A.

Now he leads out for $50.

Tough spot for me, because, that means he probably doesn't have a weaker hand, he probably has an ace here. There's $102 + 50 now in the pot, and it's $50 more for me to call, but also basically putting me all-in.

He didn't raise before the flop, so I'm inclined to think he doesn't have AQ, AK. Maybe AJ, but also unlikely. I saw him raise pocket eights earlier, so if he had a strong hand like AQ/AK, I'd think he'd raise it, but of course, the mindset of a fish is pretty unpredictable.

That said, I'm chopping with any other A2 and A3-A8. I have 3 king and 3 nine outs to chop against AQ, an additional 4 queens for outs against AJ (7 outs) and of course the three 2s to take the entire pot. And 11 outs for a split against AT.

But really, what I was thinking was, it was $50 more for a $150 pot, and I had to win 1/4 of the time to break even. So I had to call.

He ended up showing AT, and I think a 7 hit the river, so his kicker played.

I'm trying to determine whether my thought process anywhere along the line here was wrong.

Thanks
  • 8 replies
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      lol, vs a fish snapcall all day lond, he will show a sort of crap.

otherwise i rly hate preflop play, when isoing w/ A2o you just get yourself in a terrible spot, rly not that many good flop for you.
      rather wait for a better hand, eg better i mean JT+ ir whtw, then isolate.

And you said he stacked off w/ underpair to board, so why don't you consider it here? ;)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey you should really post these hands in the evaluation forum if you want to get a good response, you can post live or online posts in there. Dont be shy :)
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      Dont play A-rag even on the button and especially against fish who can hit random 2pair. You simply dont have to. Wait for a better spot.
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      Yeah anyways as you got an ace on that board it's so unlikely that he got an ace in his hand. so I would insta call, as not that much have changed on the turn for the fish.
    • AltarEgo
      AltarEgo
      Bronze
      Rag ace - never great obviously.

You nailed it when you say you knew they had an ace on the turn - and should have folded.

even if they had A7 upwards you had a good chance of being outkicked.

the money in the pot got the better of you - curiosity killed the cat on this one.
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      I don't like iso-ing fish with A2. If you've got one of those guys who limp-folds and folds to cbets a lot it's fine but then you can attack them with ATC. But most fish call too much and also love any Ace so you are just asking for kicker trouble with this play. I much rather iso with broadways, then you give them the kicker trouble or flop better than the pair of 7s that they just can't fold.

So I can see why you lost your stack but you can avoid this spot with better preflop choices.
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Bronze
      limp pre
    • fielden1982
      fielden1982
      Basic
      I agree with most people you can't go raising your button again a fish and limpers in this spot with a very marginal hand, I would rather be squeezing with 72 then A2 in this spot, in fact any hand but the weakest ace in the deck which is so likely to be dominated in the face of calls.

Sometimes however it's "Ace rags to riches."