Question about propping

• gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Anybody here tell me if propping is worth while? I know how it works but I'm wondering if you can make money being a prop. I know the propping sites tell you that you can make thousands, but I don't know of anyone who is.
      Anyway any thoughts would be appreciated
  • 13 replies
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      I played as a prop before. Normally you will be starting tables, so unless you are comfy playing headsup, and very shorthanded, its probably worth giving a miss. If however you are v comfortable shorthanded, and are happy to play smallball HU, Propping is a nice choice, just make sure you have a reason to trust the website in question, and don't put your entire roll on.
    • jackinbeat
      jackinbeat
      Bronze
      I play as a prop on cake, well did before I got staked on stars to play just Mtt's, a good all round experience, amazing rakeback, but yes, unless you can play shorthanded/heads up avoid it.

I also kept the minimum on there as most sites looking for prop players seem to be in the US market there, so did not want to expose myself to anything more than this.

Do pokerstrategy do prop deals?
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      nope
    • handsomeover
      handsomeover
      Basic
      I tried it a few years ago, you better can choose the right table at the big sites for a lower deal then thinking you can rake yourself rich. And then there are the risks of new sites and very limit games
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot guys.

For those of you that played as a prop before, did you approach the companies directly or did you go through a Propping agency
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      what do you mean by propping lads?
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Maloco87
      what do you mean by propping lads?
      A poker prop is a player who gets paid by a poker site to help them start new tables and to help keep existing games going. Although a prop player generally plays with there own money, they keep any winnings and are responsible for any loses. Generally the sites that use them are doing it to generate more traffic and build their player base
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Be interested to know which sites are looking for props. I guess they're smaller less well known (less safe?) sites?
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JonikoP
      Be interested to know which sites are looking for props. I guess they're smaller less well known (less safe?) sites?
      I'm in contact with two now, I'll pm you when I get the info
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gp00053
      Originally posted by JonikoP
      I'm in contact with two now, I'll pm you when I get the info
      Thank you for keeping this in private discussion ;)
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      always worth researching it. Don't keep more than 10BI on at once, use e-wallets. If you are playing a big session keep 15BI, but other than that, manage your money wisely guys.

It can deffo be the right move in some situations.

I went through a propping agency. Its kinda hard to do it directly, unless you are friends with an affiliate manager or something lol
    • Tobman78
      Tobman78
      Bronze
      I don't know if I only get so many bad beats, but I played at 1 site and lost really fast my roll of $120 at NL10. At another site I tried the last 2 month to make some money, but I lost nearly every big pot, while 60+% ahead.
      Don't know yet if it's method against the props, someone else mentioned it might be, cause he got also only bad beats the whole time.
      I'll still give it a try the next 10 days and when I still loose big, then I'll move back to playing normal 20% rakeback.
      I've a slow PC, that's the reason for my decision to try the prop offer.
      If I had a fast PC I would play at a normal poker room multitabling.
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      gp00053 quote: Originally posted by JonikoP Be interested to know which sites are looking for props. I guess they're smaller less well known (less safe?) sites? I'm in contact with two now, I'll pm you when I get the info

PM me too please. Im starting tables anyway lol.