question

• benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      Hello there!
      I was just watching one poker video and now when I am in approx. middle of it I have a question which I cannot find answer for. Maybe some of you guys can help me with it. Be so kind and go to this video [Edited by fruktpuff]
      and rewind it to Minute 13:12, Here we have a hand A3s, and in the right corner there is a tab which shows us "Hero is getting 1,9:1 and needs at least 34% equity to break even." I understand that 1,9:1 is because we have to call 16,1$ to particiapte in the pot in which there already is 30,85$ so we divide these two and get this 1,9:1. But where does these 34% come from? How do we get it? If I get an understanding of this spot, I might understand it overall and I think it is important...
  • 5 replies
    • dragan2171
      dragan2171
      Silver
      1/2,9=0.34
      it is the same as 1.9:1, just expressed in percentages.
    • benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      Originally posted by dragan2171
      1/2,9=0.34
      it is the same as 1.9:1, just expressed in percentages.
      And how do u get percentages from odds? how 1.9:1 is the same as 1/2,9 ??
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      well, we can put it like...
      probability for event A is 1.9, probability for event B is 1. so "total probabilities" would be 1.9+1 = 2.9

so what is the percentage probability of B happening? it's pB/total - or 1/2.9, which is ~0.34.
      what would be that value for A? pA/total - 1.9/2.9 = ~0.66

(i don't really like this explanation, there probably is some theoretically better and still clear way to explain it but i hope this is enough. i mean, probabilities should theoretically be expressed in numbers from 0 to 1 and so on...)
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Hello,

I've had to remove the link to the video in question as it is hosted on a competitor site and I'm afraid we can't allow linking to other affiliate training sites.

Regards,
      Richard
    • benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      Originally posted by fruktpuff
      Hello,

I've had to remove the link to the video in question as it is hosted on a competitor site and I'm afraid we can't allow linking to other affiliate training sites.

Regards,
      Richard
      then how the hell I am going to get the answer? maybe u could explain it to me?