How do you deal with a multiple bad beats?

• OarrO
      OarrO
      Bronze
      Hello i was wondering how you guys deal with consecutive bad beats or running bad? Making this topic not to whine but to find out how to deal with it, I appreciate poker has a luck element and sometimes your going to be on the wrong side of it.

So today i just ran awful to the extent when i got AA and KK i dreaded it because i knew they were going to be cracked and they were. It's the first time all month I'm down for the day and i know i should be up because i got my money in good and made the right plays (i play 6 man hyper turbos).

I'm curious as to how you guys tackle this problem do you take a break and come back? Or are you mentally stable enough to know it's just part of the game and if so how did you get to this state of mind?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, nothing feels worse then grinding for hours and at the end realise that you paid to do that.
  • 25 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by OarrO
      do you take a break and come back?
      this
      Originally posted by OarrO
      Or are you mentally stable enough to know it's just part of the game and if so how did you get to this state of mind?
      that is our aim :f_love:

i'm currently in a break myself, had some horrible runbad which caused playbad days.
    • BLOWMEBABE
      BLOWMEBABE
      Bronze
      As everybody tells - you can't do anything about it - well that's true. Someone will say that you have to stop playing, and you should analyze your game and hands more carefully bla bla bla.... Bad beats won't just lost if you gonna stop playing for 4hours or 4days.

I can tell you one thing - of 250 SnG's what I lost, in 204 I had best hand when I moved all in or called all in preflop. just amazing to know that 80% hands what you lost you were ahead. I used to play hypers HU too, but then I get nervous breakdown.

How to deal with bad beats or nervous breakdowns? Well, I usually make some couple of tea and beat my wife. After I finished all that I just keep grinding. That's my golden key how I lose 30bi in 1 day.
    • jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Silver
      Im just gonna share what works for me.Taking a break and getting fresh air is one of the obvious ones. Might sound stupid but one of the best things to keep me going during sick sessions or a rough patch in poker or life I just ask myself the question "How bad do you want it?" I just keep repeating it in my head.You just have to remember whats the reason you started doing this for in the first place. You have to find what keeps you going in life. What motivates you and gives you that drive to keep going? Money fame, car,wanting to better yourself/family ?etc

Listening to podcasts also keeps me going during rough patches. The mental game by Jared Tendler is a great one. http://quadjacks.com/category/thementalgame/
      Non poker related podcast a great one for me is Joe Rogans. http://www.joerogan.net/

Like Bob Marley said "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain"
      Listening to motivating music is also a good one for me during sessions.I dont know what kind of music your into so I cant really suggest what kind of music.House and Rap does it for me. :D You also got to start listening to guys like this http://www.youtube.com/user/etthehiphoppreacher and start watching videos like this:

and this:

and maybe some of this :D

Thats my preaching over, hope it helped somewhat :s_biggrin:

EDIT: Whoops might also add listening to some stand ups during sessions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrdPIE6frdg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HEgPsiW1dA
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Hello,

When I run bad, I usually take a small break just to recuperate myself and pull myself together. I try to find motivation by watching videos and listening to music. Sometimes I would say to myself "did *insert name here* quit when things got rough?". The answer is no and that is how I pick myself up from the ground and continue playing and striving to become a better poker player.
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      How do you deal with a multiple bad beats?

u break multiple stuff obv :s_biggrin:

ok, here is my advice for all the players who easily tilt , get a Huge bankroll...
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aceonetheriver
      ok, here is my advice for all the players who easily tilt , get a Huge bankroll...
      drop down some limits! then your bankroll will be comparatively huge

i think that's some solid advice actually
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      Watch this and you will understand poker's relative insignificance within life and the universe. After watching, I wouldn't have cared if I had lost $1 mil playing NL10.

• nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BObamaJr
      Watch this and you will understand poker's relative insignificance within life and the universe. After watching, I wouldn't have cared if I had lost $1 mil playing NL10.
      Really ? You're seeing something I'm not ! How the hell do some Hubble images & choral music stave off tilt ? If it's so insignificant then why even bother playing ? Infact why do anything other than sit back in wonder at the vast complexity of the Universe and everything in it !

@OP having played some 25k Super Turbo's I think the experience itself helped me to deal with it. When you're 6-tabling and you have aces cracked on 1, set over set on 2, lose flips on 3&4, and lose 65/35's on 5&6 it opens your eyes. We've chosen a volotile game with brutal swings, to complain or feel hard done by them when they come is nonesensical !

For me personally (though I don't always adhere to either!): Comfortable BRM + Heavy Volume is the healthiest way to beat it, let the experience itself teach you and don't run away from it. It will still be there when you get back.

Gl with it all.

Check out Bobo's Blog, from chronic whinger to mindset pro !
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nibbana
      Really ? You're seeing something I'm not ! How the hell do some Hubble images & choral music stave off tilt ? If it's so insignificant then why even bother playing ? Infact why do anything other than sit back in wonder at the vast complexity of the Universe and everything in it !

@OP having played some 25k Super Turbo's I think the experience itself helped me to deal with it. When you're 6-tabling and you have aces cracked on 1, set over set on 2, lose flips on 3&4, and lose 65/35's on 5&6 it opens your eyes. We've chosen a volotile game with brutal swings, to complain or feel hard done by them when they come is nonesensical !

For me personally (though I don't always adhere to either!): Comfortable BRM + Heavy Volume is the healthiest way to beat it, let the experience itself teach you and don't run away from it. It will still be there when you get back.

Gl with it all.

I'd have to say wondering about and hiking through the world is better than poker.
    • OarrO
      OarrO
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jasonforan
      Im just gonna share what works for me.Taking a break and getting fresh air is one of the obvious ones. Might sound stupid but one of the best things to keep me going during sick sessions or a rough patch in poker or life I just ask myself the question "How bad do you want it?" I just keep repeating it in my head.You just have to remember whats the reason you started doing this for in the first place. You have to find what keeps you going in life. What motivates you and gives you that drive to keep going? Money fame, car,wanting to better yourself/family ?etc

Listening to podcasts also keeps me going during rough patches. The mental game by Jared Tendler is a great one. http://quadjacks.com/category/thementalgame/
      Non poker related podcast a great one for me is Joe Rogans. http://www.joerogan.net/

Like Bob Marley said "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain"
      Listening to motivating music is also a good one for me during sessions.I dont know what kind of music your into so I cant really suggest what kind of music.House and Rap does it for me. :D You also got to start listening to guys like this http://www.youtube.com/user/etthehiphoppreacher and start watching videos like this:

and this:

and maybe some of this :D

Thats my preaching over, hope it helped somewhat :s_biggrin:

EDIT: Whoops might also add listening to some stand ups during sessions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrdPIE6frdg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HEgPsiW1dA
      Wow that's some epic videos it really did motivate me thanks for the advice :)
    • OarrO
      OarrO
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nibbana

Gl with it all.

I was reading your blog yesterday and i think it should be called super turbos and everything else :D but really enjoyed it, a good read. Is there any material that you have found which is specifically orientated to Hypers?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      I bet you don't have to pay tax on your poker winnings in space.
    • fluffyspec
      fluffyspec
      Bronze
      depending on the situation depends if i just stay calm and carry on or if its an all-in and get beat by something silly like 3,7 un suited i havent quite manged to get passed the hit power button and go and have a cuppa responce lol
    • Solidius
      Solidius
      Bronze
      I take a deep breath, relax and...

Just say to yourself that you made the right decision and that you get the money you deserve in the long run.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Don't worry about Bad Beats, just keep playing and if you're a good player the results will swing your way soon enough!
      Your brain always seems to remember the bad ones, thus stick in deep and you find it difficult to move past them, but you must also think that you have probably had your fair share of good luck along the road too, we just don't remember that so much ;)

If the bad beats do effect your game, thus stopping you playing your A-Game, then STOP, take a break for a day or 2, Read some Articles, watch some Videos and bets of all, Post hands for Evaluations, if you played it fine, then it will do your confidence wonders knowing a Judge is on your side, if you played it wrong, the the Judge will tell you where and why and hopefully help you avoid the situation in the future, so its a win/win!

The most important part is that if you're not playing your A-Game and he Bad beats are effecting you, then do not play anymore!
    • fluffyspec
      fluffyspec
      Bronze
      Just say to yourself that you made the right decision and that you get the money you deserve in the long run.
      thats one of the first things my friend said to me:) regardless of the outcome as long as you where happy with the cards you played then it dosnt matter if you get beat from time to time
    • CallumN
      CallumN
      Bronze
      Go outside and squash ants
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      you remind me of allen iverson.
      "Practise? you wanna talk about practise? Not a game...a game...a game...we talkin about practise..not a game...not a game that i go out there and die for, and play every game like its my last..." LULS

Practice your mental game man :)
    • mute20
      mute20
      Gold
      I usually start screaming like a maniac how bs it is for like 20 minutes.