This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

HU Turbo vs. 6-max Turbo - psychology issue

• PrzeoRski
      PrzeoRski
      Bronze
      Good morning:)

Yesterday I met my friend who play poker for fun on pokerstars. He told that he prefer play 6-max tables than HU because for him it is more fun.

And where comes question if for avarage fun player HU could be a little less entertaining than 6max turbo. What do you think?

From about a month I'm reading and learning about HUs and do you know if it could be more profitable if I will mix my skills I trained with 6-max?

Maybe 6-max poker tables are more fishy than HUs??

Have your own opinion about pros and cons in HU vs. 6-max?

Regards,
      PrzeoR
  • 2 replies
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      if you start playing HU, then start with hyper-turbo. Easy to learn and attracts way more fishes than turbo. Action is just soo much better
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi again, PrzeoRski!

Glad to see you are a regular poster in our SnG forum discussion forums. This is a good way to share opinion with poker players, improve your game and set your mind into the right direction.

Let's go down to the questions now:

Whether one format is more or less fun depends strictly on the player. When I first started SnGs I prefered to play 9-10-player ones as I knew I had to play tight for the most part, which gave me a secure feeling that I have less room for making mistakes. Things have changed since and I can clearly say that 6-player SnGs have a better reg:fish ratio than 9-player ones. IMO fish loves the action, he is there to entertain himself and that's not what he does if he plays 1 out of 10 hands. That's why he prefers to sit on a short-handed table where action pays off better.

As for pros and cons in HU vs 6-max I will go this way:

Pros in HU:

-smaller BR needed
      -greater volume(depends) due to smaller average time duration
      -easier to table select as we only need to take 1 player into consideration
      -usually smaller variance
      -higher traffic on higher stakes, especially compared to 9-player SNG that are hard to get a game running for 100$+ stakes
      -easier to move up the ladder(stakes)

Cons in HU

-lower number of tables running at a time- although it takes less time to finish on HU SnG game, we also can't multitable as much as in 6-9-player game as we are involved in every hand and that requires our attention
      - No auto pilot! Not at all. You always have to be sure that you play your A game as there is no place to hide. You are involved in every hand.
      -requires much greater postflop skills. Postflop is hard to learn. I think it's rather easier to learn the push/fold basics. But, maybe I am wrong and it could be easier/more fun for you to study postflop rather than ICM.

Possible few more pros and cons, if I missed something, please feel free to add. It's hard for me to say what's gonna be more profitable for you as I don't know what your best game is. Every format will be profitable if you have an edge over your opponents.