Hide hole cards... Is there software for such a thing...?

• sargemojoe
      sargemojoe
      Bronze
      Hi,

I want to be able to hide my hole cards when I'm playing poker online and then be able to click a button to reveal my hole cards when it's my turn to act. I was playing a game online the other day and used my thumb to hide hole cards and was really paying attention to how much time people were taking to make decisions - if they seemed to be paying any attention themselves, or if they were making decisions really quickly then I could put them on certain hands or if they took just a tad slighter than normal I could put them on monster hands or something else. I think I was playing a lot better like this as I was concentrating much more and only playing one game at a time, and was really enjoying my poker more this way.

Is there any software out there that can hide a particular part of your screen and do this? Obviously it wouldn't have to be poker related as it would have uses elsewhere other than just poker. I have a program on my mac called backdrop which completely blacks out the whole screen but not a particular section, and not with a key click. So I think I'm looking for something similar to this. It can be mac or PC I use both for poker.

The thumb thing is a bit demanding so some sort of program that would do this would be good and if anyone knows one please let me know.
  • 3 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      You could open explorer and make the window small, to cover just your cards, then when its your turn the table will pop up. Just an idea!

Stiev
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      I haven't been playing for that long myself, but I can clearly say that the time a player needs for a decision means nothing online. They could be multi-tabling, the phone could be ringing, a lag spike hits them, there's like a million reasons why they don't act immediately.

What I'd rather look at is betting frequencies. How much they bet in what position and with what cards when it comes to a showdown is more important than how long it takes.

But why not simply put a sticky note on your screen right above your hole cards? You know, those yellow ones. If you need to look at your cards, you just have to lift the paper a bit.
    • sargemojoe
      sargemojoe
      Bronze
      Hmm I have noticed though if I watch players for a while I can get reads based on the time they take. Especially if there is almost next to no time and they quickly make a bet or raise or something, then they might take 10 seconds next time preflop. I've been able to pick up when a player has a monster or a semi-decent hand anyway based on time they've taken.

Another situation was by telling if the player had just hit the 'pot size' bet button or just min raising. If they were a big stack and were just min-raising preflop their range would be nothing worth really raising normally, but if they hit a pot-size bet quickly they would usually have a decent hand and if they took their time I found they had a monster hand.

As for the hole card hiding situation I've just opened up notepad and place that over the cards, so cheers for the idea cannell :)