Pushing range when only one blind is posted

• Cylindrus
      Cylindrus
      Bronze
      When someone busts who was supposed to be in one of the blinds the next hand, its only one blind that gets posted. (It is like this on Partypoker, I dont know any other sites)

So, we should push tighter in these spots right? But how much tighter should our range be?
  • 7 replies
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Cylindrus
      When someone busts who was supposed to be in one of the blinds the next hand, its only one blind that gets posted. (It is like this on Partypoker, I dont know any other sites)

So, we should push tighter in these spots right? But how much tighter should our range be?

Hi, Cylindrus!

Welcome to our SnG discussion forum. You got it right!

With one blind only, the risk:reward ratio is worse, so therefore we have to be tighter. How much tighter is really hard to say though. It depends on what the risk aversion is, player yet to act, history etc. Do you have holdem manager? I think you can check these spots there as the program will do the calculations for you. Of course- you still have to set up the what-you-think reasonable calling range for villain(s) is.
    • Cylindrus
      Cylindrus
      Bronze
      Thanks! Yes, I have HM2. Don't know more than the basics on how to use the program though.. Got some good HM2 vids/articles on this?
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      Good question. It's a tricky spot when you have semi decent hand as pot value only 66% (I think).

Also if you have AA, KK what should you raise here? You want to get paid off by the BB but standard raise gives him no value to call those nice looking suited connectors!!!
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi again, guys. When I said HEM, I meant SnG wizard, which is an additional prepaid program. So, basically, what I will do is create a custom game using the wiz, set a calling range for my opponent(s) and see how much tighter I have to be. Their calling range should also change(not all of our opponents will be aware of this), so it still depends on reads/meta and previous history, how many BBs we have left, risk aversion etc. F.e. if the player who just busted was the fifth player and now there are only 4 players left(bubble), ICM tax will increase, so we have to consider that. If there are 7-8 people left, won't make any big difference.

If you don't have the wiz yourself, you can post the hand in the evaluation forum, or send me the HH via community tool and I will run the numbers for you.

As for AA,KK scenario- again, depends on how many blinds villain has, whether he is a fishy player or a reg, whether he sees as a fishy player or a reg, previos history(if, say, he has seen us raise/folding) and many other stuff. I suggest you post a particular situation and we will go into details.

Cheers!
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      Cheers, I'll try to get into one for you. :)
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      here you go:
      what is shove range for BB?

IPoker, $5 Buy-in (0/200 blinds) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 9 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP2: 1,205 (6 bb)
      MP3: 755 (3.8 bb)
      CO: 1,155 (5.8 bb)
      Hero (BTN): 2,300 (11.5 bb)
      BB: 1,470 (7.4 bb)
      UTG: 1,535 (7.7 bb)
      UTG+1: 1,800 (9 bb)
      UTG+2: 2,205 (11 bb)
      MP1: 2,575 (12.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with Q 5
      8 folds

Results: 0 pot
      BB mucked and lost
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi again!

Well, shove range for BTN depends on BB's call range! If you can give me some info about him/previous history/reads it will be all in help.

As for the current hand- to make it profitable here, he has to be calling with only 17.9% of hands, which is 33+,A2s, A7o+, KTs, KQo. He might be tighter, if he is some tight unknown player I think, I push. If he is some loose fishy or reg type of player, I think I rather end up folding.

I forgot to mention, by the way, that you can use a trial version of SnG Wizard for 1 month! So you can make your adjustments depending on your reads etc.