[NL2-NL10] 22 flop set lay down NL5 Zoom

• ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      This hand he limped UTG. I do this all the time with 22-99. So the other factor was his stats were 11/11. he was never limping AA or KK only to go broke on that flop imo. i place him then on 99 or 66. easy fold. my reads have been so spot on over the last couple days, im very sure he has this hand 99 or 66.

PokerStars - $0.05 NL ZOOM - Holdem - 9 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BTN: $5.00
      SB: $11.98
      BB: $10.00
      UTG: $8.93
      UTG+1: $6.39
      MP: $1.63
      MP+1: $5.91
      LP: $14.59
      Hero (CO): $15.60

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has 2:heart: 2:spade:

UTG calls $0.05, fold, fold, fold, LP calls $0.05, Hero calls $0.05, fold, fold, BB checks

Flop: ($0.22, 4 players) 2:diamond: 9:heart: 6:spade:
      BB checks, UTG bets $0.21, fold, Hero raises to $0.60, fold, UTG raises to $2.01, fold

UTG wins $1.36
  • 6 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      i like the fold.

however, do you expect the other guy to stack off lighter? else there's no point in the limp-mining really.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      well we dont need to stack off everytime we hit a set when we just limp. we could be getting value from his misplayed overpairs TT JJ as well as different boards that offer draws, other low boards like 236, 257. SB and BB could have something as well in the long run.
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      I'm not a fan of this fold actually unless this player is a super tight regular and you know he would only stack off with a set. Some people would overplay a hand like A9s in this spot. He very rarely holds 99 here as that is often a raise even UTG (maybe not if his stats are very tight). The only hand you are afraid of is 66 which is highly unlikely. He could potentially limp 87s (once again no stats so I am unsure) and be pulling off a semi bluff here on such a dry board.

However, like I said, I might fold here against a super tight reg that I know only stacks off with trips or better here. Also, limp mining pre is still ok because as more limpers come in, it is likely that others will follow because of great odds. So you are not looking to stack the UTG player on such a board but rather the others who follow.

Finally, why 3 bet him on the flop at all if you're not wanting to stack him? Just go check call all 3 streets then. You may also keep the others in the pot this way. You turned your set into a bluff which makes no sense at all to me. You could have 3b folded any 2 in this spot.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ilovemagic
      well we dont need to stack off everytime we hit a set when we just limp. we could be getting value from his misplayed overpairs TT JJ as well as different boards that offer draws, other low boards like 236, 257. SB and BB could have something as well in the long run.
      would he limp in such overpairs and drawing hands (ie suited connectors)?
      because if we are assuming that he only limps pp (i think it's a reasonably fair assumption) we're always far behind with 22 when we get action.
      think we mostly want action from others, specially BB i guess.

Originally posted by FlashDavin
      Finally, why 3 bet him on the flop at all if you're not wanting to stack him? Just go check call all 3 streets then. You may also keep the others in the pot this way. You turned your set into a bluff which makes no sense at all to me. You could have 3b folded any 2 in this spot.
      think this makes sense. however, seems that he is going to be betting pretty strongly and i wouldn't want to call three near potsize bets vs him.
      maybe call flop, fold turn if he bombs pot again.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      well, going into the hand i wasnt aware of what he had until he 3 bet that flop. If I go c/c im losing money in the long run. There is a small chance he is worse then 2-2 here. Its called raise/fold. I wouldnt change this play unless I had more hands with the guy. We will see what the expert (veriz) says. I think he will say raise that flop as well. There is no reason to just put the guy on a set just because he bets that flop. I raise and he reraises, polarizing his range too much. He is not bluffing. He does not have Ax suited hands in his range, and he does not raise 99 UTG. He does not limp suited connectors. Why 3bet on that flop then? for protection against other guy in pot, and value against his weaker range. When he reraises, he eliminates his weaker range (unless thats how he plays TT or 88). I can at that point only put him on 99 or 66. This is an easy fold, I wouldnt change how i played it.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello ilovemagic,

As long you are against a REG type of player who has mainly PPs in his limping range there then I would say you made even a good fold. Especially while being deeper. Seems like a nice hand!

The only hope here is that he overplays KK/AA which he could be limping but I doubt that.

Best Regards.