Job vs Poker

• kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      If u got a shit job that's stress you and make you feel low, where the boss is an asshole that treat you like poo and you earning around 900 at month (about 200 at week) working like a dog without appreciation evenings and week-ends would you considerate to quit it if you making 250 average at week by playing poker live?

Would you take the fact that maybe you must deal with downswings and that there isn't a guarantee salary?

What you would do? ?(
  • 16 replies
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      I would advise you to stay in the job until you have a decent amount saved and can see your poker winnings increasing cos you'd have to play weekend and evenings and stuff anyway. Plus the downswings would probably be quite long

However the question was what would I do? I would quit because I'm lazy and I like gambling

but if you can make a bit online as well i'd advise you to quit if you have a couple of months living expenses saved
    • Sinnology
      Sinnology
      Global
      Originally posted by kiromanAAKK
      If u got a shit job that's stress you and make you feel low, where the boss is an asshole that treat you like poo and you earning around 900 at month (about 200 at week) working like a dog without appreciation evenings and week
      Thats pretty similar like playing poker for a living on micro stakes, except haing a guarantee that at the end of the month you will be +900!
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      imo 250pw is not enough. I think need your br and a 1/2br backup to make a comfortable living.

Say you have 10,000 br and aim to cash out 500pw. This is fine until you hit a downswing and (worst of all) have a few -$weeks. Not only do you then have to take the 500 out of your br but next week get you br back up to 10,000!

So if you go on a real dry spell and have 4 weeks of >Break-even in a row, your br is -2k+loses!
      (Of course there would be rakeback but I class this as a savings account)

By having the 1/2br backup, this can eliviate the short term pressure of a downswing.

That's my plan anyway. Get a 15k Br and then serriously consider going pro.

A good accountant would also be a must so that's another expense you would have to consider
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I would suggest keeping the job Kiroman, it's at least relatively safe and guaranteed money, as crap as the conditions seem. In the present climate that is a gift.
      Also, think on this, if you give up the job and just play poker, what happens if you change your mind or have it changed for you for some reason? When you apply for a job, you have no current experience, oh and what have you been doing to suppost yourself for the last X months/yrs Mr. Kiroman? Erm..er...

Lots lots more reasons to seriously not consider it and I bet a professional would know even more.

Regards,

Mal.
    • luckygan2002
      luckygan2002
      Bronze
      Hi there,

As many of the people here say U gotta keep the job man. I understand that its tough but in this economical world, dont try to leave a job until u got another stable job with stable income or stable savings. so until u got good savings i might advice u to keep up to ur job ;)
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot guys for your advices ... very appreciate it! :)
    • eudodo
      eudodo
      Silver
      I don't think there is a simple answer: quit/keep job.

What do you want to do in your life? What will make you happy?
      The rest is just a bankroll management issue. Both ways.
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      This is worth read before you make any decissions.

-----Worth reading-----
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sinnology
      If u got a shit job that's stress you and make you feel low, where the boss is an asshole that treat you like poo and you earning around 900 at month (about 200 at week) working like a dog without appreciation evenings and week
      Thats pretty similar like playing poker for a living on micro stakes, except having a guarantee that at the end of the month you will be +900!
      +1
    • mehersagar
      mehersagar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Originally posted by Sinnology
      Thats pretty similar like playing poker for a living on micro stakes, except having a guarantee that at the end of the month you will be +900!
      +1
      +2
    • cahillg
      cahillg
      Basic
      Why not try and find anew job and continue playing poker untill you have a reasonable roll that you can playy off fulltime and live off also?

My bf always talks about doing this because he is unhappy in his job. He does quite well playing PLO online but he has other leaks in life including sports betting that means he needs the extra security of a job. If I believed he could play PLO and have his bank roll managed by an external force I would 100% be behind him. But as things stand I couldn't back him as there would be so much pressure.

What is your situation at home? Can you just give up a job do you have a partner or bills to pay? Do you live with parents?
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      One rly important thing to consider too is that you won't just want to grind for 1k$/month forever, you'll want to move up as well, but since the money will go out for living expenses you won't be able to, or at least it'll take much longer.
    • nonamesleft
      nonamesleft
      Bronze
      I earn nearly £2k per month and wouldnt go pro unless I was earning nearly double that with at least 6 months pay in savings. When James Akenhead went pro it was only because he won a years salary (approx £30k) in one nights online session. I think the way forward in todays poker climate is to have a full time (or perhaps part time) job and supplement your income with your poker winnings, unless you have a very large database that suggests you are capable of winning whether you are running hot or not.
    • handsomeover
      handsomeover
      Basic
      It totally depends if you have a wife and/or kids to take care of, or maybe you don't want to get on the street if you're running bad.
      If you don't have any big responsibilities and you can get another job as soon as things get bad then I would take the gamble. But just make sure you can take care of yourself and not ending up with regrets and different thoughts about your actions. Good luck!

*small note: "I" would take the gamble, doesn't say you should.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Multiple streams of income are a very good thing. Mixing up passive income, active income, income with more variance, income with less variance... results in nice, steady profit. I suggest trying out many different things which you can earn money with. Then of course, after some time, focus on the ones that get you the most money, ditch the ones that get you too little (if they're active), and find new ones... It's the way to go to find financial independence :) .

As for your specific example, I would keep at least some kind of a steady income without variance... You can always ditch the job, get a part time job and keep playing poker... It's a win win - you'll have steady income, less pressure while playing poker and you'll get to invest more time in poker.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      If u got a shit job that's stress you and make you feel low, where the boss is an asshole that treat you like poo and you earning around 900 at month (about 200 at week) working like a dog without appreciation evenings and week-ends would you considerate to quit it if you making 250 average at week by playing poker live?

Would you take the fact that maybe you must deal with downswings and that there isn't a guarantee salary?

What you would do? ?(
      Do you work with me?

Some good advice in here though you need quite a bit of savings and some decent winning samples before you go pro. Ofc you need the sample so you know you are a winner and you need the savings because without them playing poker will be even more stressful than your job.

Stick with your job (or apply for as many new ones as you can) and keep poker as some nice extra money every week/month until you have built up enough savings, are playing a high enough stakes to support you, and have a good winning sample