Thedeathstriker

• 6 replies
    • THEDEATHSTRIKER
      THEDEATHSTRIKER
      Bronze
      I usually play full ring BSS $0.02/$0.04. I been a regular player under various names at PP, P770 & FT for about 5yrs. I play at P770 mostly these days. I made profit on average in the early days but always played for too long and tended to wipe out in a sudden burst of boredom, sloppy decisions or tilt (sometimes all three.....in that order lol) I definitly have become a losing/break even player in recent months. Anyway time to reignite my spark by feeding my knowledge and discipline.
    • THEDEATHSTRIKER
      THEDEATHSTRIKER
      Bronze
      Hi please find homework as follows.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      My motivations for playing poker are many and varied. If I am totally honest
      at times it is an excersise in picking a metaphorical fight with someone, to stroke my ego on some level and give myself a boost of mood. What goes hand in hand with that is the fact that whilst doing so works that way and has the desired results sometimes, a beating down often reminds me that there is always someone bigger and better than me which leads to self awareness and a desire to better myself through study and self critisism. I enjoy the challenge of locking horns with an opponent and winning. To me poker gives you the chance to feel all your primal feelings and urges through the full range from elation to misery. Adrenilin fuelled anticipation to adrenalin fuelled desperation. Total superiority and horror filled embarrassment and inferiority LOL! It has everything so this is my motivation. To feel superior to my peers LOL! Also I have loved this game since the moment I grasped the very basic play structure of the game, drunk, and doing my mates head in because I didn't know the format. " I check", "erm, no mate! For the four hundredth time tonight, you cannot check as you have acted before your turn and there is already a GODDAM BET ON THE TABLE!!!" I love the game. This is my motivation. I love the thought of doing something you actually enjoy and making money from it. Big money so I can relax and give my daughter and Mrs the life of luxury! I could happily play eight hours a day 7 days a week if it was viable, so this is also a motivation for me. I would love to play in a big tournament one day and rub shoulders with the people I have watched on tv over the years. The one person in poker I would love to have a chat with is URINDANGER (Di Dang) Who I watched progress from a minor player into, if not the, then one of the, most formidable on-line tournament player (in my opinion) in memory. So this is a motivation to play.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      My weaknesses are many. I tend to crash out of ring games after playing well for ages. It is not unknown for me to spend hours making good decisions in tournaments only to crash out a couple places before the money or on the final table. In the early days I used to regularly end up in the final 30 of a 1500 seat tournament (freeroll) but my game would suffer from tiredness, irritability and major tilt if something went wrong. I tend to tilt easily and play far too long at the tables. I regularly sit and grind a nice stack over couple hours $0.01/$0.02 sit down with $2 grind up to $12 stack, still continue to play long after my cards have gone off the heat, lose a chunk, but not a bad chunk then will actively think "I should leave now and I still got $9!!. But I don't, then tilt, then wind up losing it all ad so on.
      A big one for me is that I study strategy and get myself worked up to play then struggle to put it into practice in the time from realising I got a viable hand to getting timed out. So I sometimes guess the decision, lose, look back at the hand, realise the action was wrong, get pissed off then slip back into tilt by playing without strategy.
      I watch pro's and think "why is that person playing out of position with a marginal hand? Oh he is just mixing it up, I am gonna do that. If everyone is following TAG then I am gonna loosen up!" Then obviously lose! LOL
      I question my ability a lot and get depressed and upset when I try to understand a mathematical formula but can't get it and read everyone elses posts and wonder how they are so good at it. I do get the odds against and how it works but struggle to apply it quickly. I have to write it down and work it out over a couple minutes on paper so get upset when I can't do it in a couple seconds when it's my turn to act. Pretty much all the standard weaknesses of your average Joe player I suppose.
      Oh and one really bad weakness is I can grind a tidy profit and be really disciplined over a couple of days then I will come home after a few drinks one night then BOOM! Mr aggresive WTF are you doing man starts playing at the table and wipes it all out. Not nice in the morning when I remember what I did lol lol.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      TAG means that you only play with hands that have a good chance of winning the pot from the position you are sat at. You play few hands but when you do enter a pot you do so in an agressive manor so as not to give your opponent/s the chance to take control of procceedings. Once you lose the advantage of being the aggressor you are in a worse position. An agressive play means that by your stats, your opponent will not be able to tell if you are bluffing on certain hands and will force them to relinquish a lot of their good hands even when you are probably beaten. Your aggression will pay off because in the event of your cards going to showdown the pot will be nice and full as you have forced the opponent to pay to see the community cards. Being tight also means you do not invest money into a hand that is no longer looking profitable. So the TAG player also has ability to fold any cards if it looks like they are beat and the opponent is unlikely to fold to a bluff. TAG makes you harder to read and harder to bully. You can punish both tight players and loose players with the same amount of effectiveness. Your EV is always in the + or else you get out the hand.
      To sum up my take on it is I aim to minimise my own weak plays yet exploit weak play by others.

Hope this is ok and not too long winded and look forward to comments.
    • THEDEATHSTRIKER
      THEDEATHSTRIKER
      Bronze
      Very basic plays.

Hands to evaluate.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Playing tired can cause a lot problems. Usually you are moody when tired and get easily angry. Which means you get tilty that brings towards you playing less your A-game. Also lets not forget that you ain't concentrating enough and watching the game which is the worst part. You have to find a way to adjust to tilt. For example against tilt:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Playing drunk is just horrible. It's usually the case that you are either way too aggressive, some even are too nitty. I wouldn't recommend playing poker when drunk. Unless you have a BR and you can play very small-stakes. You usually end up spewing the money away.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • THEDEATHSTRIKER
      THEDEATHSTRIKER
      Bronze
      Thanks for your reply. I hope you enjoyed the pokerstrategy party lol.
      Yeh have really tried in the past to grasp strategy, and when I have the results have shown. Even using the most basic hand selection and post flop play from the white articles I saw a profit. I just suppose I got bored, but this time I am determined to see it through and learn. I read somewhere that I my poker time should be split 70% study/evaluation & analysis, 30% playing. So am trying to emulate that if possible. It is amazing how much a simple post reply from someone who is living it and knows what they are talking about does for the confidence and inspiration. Thankyou. Hope I can be the student I want to be and ultimately the poker player I dream of being. Next homework in progress.
      Cheers.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello THEDEATHSTRIKER,

It should be definitely a split how much you study & play, cause by just playing you wont learn much. You could maybe start doing it like 60/40 for studying and then adjust however you want. But it's very important to try to learn more in the beginning and maybe even 70/30.

About if you get bored well, try to take it as work. Try to always remind you. :) You are still doing it for specific reason and if it's too boring try adding something into the game like adding few tables.

Best Regards.