[NL2-NL10] Nl25, JJ, preflop play

• burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($26.85)
      UTG ($6)
      UTG+1 ($25)
      MP1 ($28.95)
      Hero ($5)
      MP3 ($23.40)
      CO ($10.20)
      Button ($47.50)
      SB ($4.90)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J:heart: , J:spade: .
      UTG calls $0.25, 1 fold, MP1 calls $0.25, Hero raises to $1.5, 2 folds, Button calls $1.50, 1 fold, BB raises to $5.25, UTG raises to $6.25 (All-In), MP1 folds, Hero calls $3.50 (All-In), Button calls $4.50, BB calls $1.

Flop: ($23.85) A:diamond: , 9:diamond: , K:diamond: (4 players, 2 all-in)
      BB checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($23.85) J:club: (4 players, 2 all-in)
      BB bets $9, Button raises to $18, BB calls $9.

River: ($59.85) 3:spade: (4 players, 2 all-in)
      BB bets $2.85 (All-In), Button calls $2.85.

Final Pot: $65.55

I know that due to my bet: stack ratio I had no option but to call according to the strategy, but I would like to ask you guys what do you think about folding as an option? Because maybe not on this limit, but on higher limits I think my JJ would become very marginal hand against reraise and an instant call from UTG limper.
  • 7 replies
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      folding JJ against 3bet can be an option,against reraiser on who you have strong reads,but in this particular situation is profitable to call because of some dead money and good pot odds prefop ,even better implied pot odds.I did some calculations with Poker stove-preflop 3 of you underdogs and one is ahead,but in hand you and one opp is ahead ,two others is underdogs.It`s clearly coin flip,you can loose small stack,but win good good sandwich.
      Folding JJ for me is an option when we face less opps and have full stack,but in multiway pot and not full stack I would call reraise.
      Good luck.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Hes not calling a reraise, hes overcalling a reraise. This seems like such an easy fold to me. Id fold this quickly.
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      According to basic SSS we should calculate our remaining stack:our raise ratio (2.3:1) and should push JJ.When we have ratio 2.5:1 we can push 77+,AJ+,KQ.
      With JJ you can push even with bigger stack left (ratio 4:1) :)
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/216/6/
      Good luck
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      i dont care about the strategy, I think you shouldn't overcall here with jacks, because I don't think you get the required equity. 3.50$ for 15.50$ is the deal you get, and so you need ~19% to win against 3 opponents, I think that's not realistic in this spot.
      Bronze
      It's pretty easy to guess that at least one of your oponents is having QQ+ here (maybe even two of them), so it's not really a good spot to stick to the strategy.

Let's say utg's QQ+, BB's 99+ AQ+ and BU stands for low pps. You have about 16% equity in this spot, which is so so low. Hence, I agree with Hele.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Yeah, QQ+ was what I thought too and this is also what UTG had, but I rather stick to the strategy if I don't get some feedback from more experienced players first on particular situations and because sometimes my opinion is right but on low limits like NL10 and NL25 you see that players often don't play well enough to do much thinking and sticking to the strategy is in most cases correct, sometimes even when you should have been behind.

Anyway, I got lucky on the turn and won the hand. :D

...but wish to do EV+ move next time. So, thank you for the posts. :)
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      I would call here, 2 reasons:

1. remote probobility that UTG has a worse hand
      2. postflop protection. For example, if BB was squeezing with some broadway sc and decides to keep betting, BTN's QQ will have a hard time.

UTG is the one who spoiled this spot badly though)