Small stakes - Big ambitions

• Jezterscap
      Jezterscap
      Bronze
      Hi , i am Donkeyjez now on pokerstars and this is my first poker blog.

I joined here on May 2011 with a starting capital of $50 at FullTilt. At the time of close i had roughly $800, this was a major setback for me. I received $100 reload on another site which i donked away quickly.

Dec 15th i made a $500 deposit at Pokerstars and started grinding micro mtt tourneys $1-$5. After some initial success and as my bankroll grew i started adding in games up to $11.

Now 4 months later overall i think i have achieved quite a lot in such a short time. Here is my 4 month mtt graph and stats

click me

Mtt grinding can be very emotionally taxing with big variance and just as physically demanding with long sessions. Sometimes ive been near asleep on deep runs and this is a very big mistake. Reaching a final table is the single most impotant thing to achieve playing mtt's and i have made a few bad plays due to being tired.

Currently i have no depts and share a house with my brother. I have a $1k bankroll and enough sustainable cash for living expenses for the next 3 months.

I am going to rethink my goals and ways to achieve them and probably start a 9man SnG format.

Thanks for reading and hope you stay tuned for whats to come
  • 44 replies
    • Takeiteazy
      Takeiteazy
      Bronze
      Hey! Nice graph you've got there=) Good luck at the tables, will follow
    • Jezterscap
      Jezterscap
      Bronze
      During the end of my Mtt sessions i added in various SnG's to keep my table limit from 8-10. I have tried most formats if not all at this point and 9 18 27man Sng's seem to be easy to beat at micro limits.
      After some study and experience with 9man non turbo KO's i have decided to focus solely on these and finish a block of 500 ive been playing.

I find the most important aspect to micro limit KO's is how quickly players get knocked out and as such gives very little variance in games.
      Eg Very often you can get to the bubble with blinds 50/100 after not playing a hand.
      While normal 9 mans can still be 7 or 8 handed at 50/100
      KO's in general will give slightly more $/hr due to shorter games but im focusing more on building a bankroll and moving up limits than grinding and $/hr.

$3.50 buyin seems like a good place to start even though i have a bankroll to play higher.
      I wont be paying rake on my bounty price so this will give a slight return over the normal games.
      $3.50 normal vs KO
      $3.11+($0.39) vs $2.56+$0.64+ ($0.30)
      So a block of 500 will be ($195)vs($150) giving a $45 rake difference.

One strategy i use is to open limp all small/mid pockets and suited connectors/1 gappers 56+ when the blinds are 10/20 and 15/30. This will induce action behind me. Most of the time I will fold to action but 20/30 chips investment can lead to flopped sets and big draws or potentially end up getting 2 other players playing for stacks when someone tries to isolate me and gets reraised.

Im about 400/500 in the block so ill post results next couple of days.
    • Jezterscap
      Jezterscap
      Bronze
      500x $3.50 9man KO's

My bank roll is now $953.05 and i think i can beat this limit fairly easily so ill probably move to £7 tommorrow.
    • Jezterscap
      Jezterscap
      Bronze
      Run good, run bad, what a day. $7 games seem very similar to $3.50 just not as many fish and the bubble battles can be fun :)

Old bankroll - $953.05
      New bankroll - $1028.51
      Profit $75.46
    • Jezterscap
      Jezterscap
      Bronze
      After a week of grinding i think i have done quite well overall.

I played a few $3.50's mainly at the start of sessions while $7 traffic was low and to complete a block for battle of the planets. I might try do this each week just for BOP leaderboard prizes.

During the end of the week i took a few shots at $15 as my bankroll is getting close to 100Bi

Old bankroll - $953.05
      New bankroll - $1364.24
      Profit - $411.19
      fpp - 21229

Something seems to be wrong as HEM says i should have $1397.15.

My finish distribution seems to show a few leaks in HU so ill study this more in the comming week.
    • danjef
      danjef
      Bronze
      Great blog will follow!

I currently play the normal turbo games always wondered if I would be better of trying the KO's maybe i'll try one day

GL at the tables
    • Jezterscap
      Jezterscap
      Bronze
      Played a few mtt's over the weekend $1 - $10 and didnt run so good.

For the comming week i will focus again on $7 KO's and add in $15.
      By the end of the week i want to build some hands on the $15 regs and reach $1500 so i can drop the £7.

Current bankroll - $1255.55
    • Jezterscap
      Jezterscap
      Bronze
      Well all my plans go to shit.

Everyday this week i cut my sessions short due to run bad and confidence in my game in shot.
      I have had downswings before, but nothing like this.
      Close to 50bi under ev over 200 games.

Ive had a look at some stats from the $7 regs on pokerprolabs and most of them are consistent loosers over 5k+ sng samples.

Ive been thinking about some coaching to help me improve but i carnt realy afford to pay a lot.
    • danjef
      danjef
      Bronze
      Keep on grinding your luck with come good in the end!

I doubt you need the coaching just running bad, but if you want affordable coaching I can suggest someone just send me a msg and i will pass on the details
    • Jezterscap
      Jezterscap
      Bronze
      I didnt realy feel like playing much after this swing so i decided to study a bit.
      I watched a nice video on 50/50's and how they differ from DoN's by balancing chip accumulation and survival. Probably the most important aspect i picked up was that most people are too tight and there is so much value with bubble abuse.

So i decided to run a 10 table session mixing $3.50/$7 5 of each.

Rake also seems to be a bit lighter
      $7 normal vs 50/50
      $6.37+($0.63) vs $6.60+($0.40)

Heres my $3.50 & $7 stt overall graph - 50/50's after the swing

Ive been thinking about the $250 50% reload bonus on pokerstars and i was wondering if there was any restictons. If i withdraw $500 and then deposit $250 would i still qualify for the bonus?
    • Jezterscap
      Jezterscap
      Bronze
      Made it to gold star on pokerstars with a day to spare :) double fpp will be nice.

Goals for next month will be
      -3000vpp for gold star
      -2500vpp for $250 50% reload bonus(by 30th may)
      -Research material for 50/50's
      -Research sb/bb defence against steals
      -Research post flop play oop short/mid stack
      -Adding 2 more tables to sessions 10 to 12
      -Decide what to do with 22,900 fpp
      -Turn $750 bankroll into $1500
      -Stop having poker dreams :D
    • alxpoker91
      alxpoker91
      Gold
      very nice goals.

-Research sb/bb defence against steals
      -Research post flop play oop short/mid stack

i need to improve this area too.
    • nokifpp
      nokifpp
      Bronze
      How many tournys do you play per session, do you generally play 10 at the same time? :)

Wish you well
    • Jezterscap
      Jezterscap
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nokifpp
      How many tournys do you play per session, do you generally play 10 at the same time? :)

Wish you well
      This week i have been playing 12 stacked at the same time.
      When one ends i add in another to keep volume up.
      Usually 2 to 3 hours sessions , sometimes longer when tables are nice.
    • Jezterscap
      Jezterscap
      Bronze
      My first week of Fifty50's and overall learned quite a lot.
      Mixed a few $3.50's at the start but stopped after deciding it was a waste of time.
      I had a bit of trouble with a few winning regs but now i have stats on them i have adjusted.
      There is one russian solid reg who is platinum star and grinds 20 tables at a time. He has played 15k games over 90 days (166 per day wow)

This week
      [img][IMG]https://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4128/week3y.th.jpg[/IMG][/img]

Mtt's over the weeked didnt work out and i cut into my sng profits a bit.
      I think i will grind some 70fpp sats and use the $T to play mtts only so my sng bankroll wont suffer.

New bankroll - $855.98
      fpp - 22070
    • Jezterscap
      Jezterscap
      Bronze
      2nd week playing Fifty50's didnt turn out so good.
      So many regs its unreal, 5 or 6 at one table most of the time.

I dont know what happened to my red line for the first 300 games, card dead or just play bad. Maybe someone can elaborate on this.

For next week im not too sure what to do.
      -12 table $7 Fifty50 regfest
      -10 table $7 KO's
      -Try out a new format
      -Switch to turbo games.

New bankroll - $889.51+T$33
      fpp - 18460
    • Jezterscap
      Jezterscap
      Bronze
      Ok so i started playing KO's again and they are so much softer than Fifty50 by far.
      I just played 28 games with ITM 64%(bounty counts i guess) which is realy good but finish distribution kinda sucks.I am missing a lot of value by not winning.
      1st = 1
      2nd= 8
      3rd = 6
      4th = 7
      5th = 4
      6th = 2
      7 8 9th = 0

Is my post bubble play that bad?
      When the bubble pops usually there is a lucky fish with a huge stack who has been putting presure on everyone since his double up early on.
      There isnt much i can do at this point apart from pushing a 30% range and hope it holds up against the fish atc calls.
      This leads me to believe that my problems actually come from lack of bubble agression, but alas this is kinda counterintuitive as making the money is more important than having more chips when i get there.

This is 2 weeks of KO's, i know sample size isnt that great but i can still see a patern emerging.

Is this realy a leak or just the current stake meta game?
      Because i played MTT for so long i never realy studied or got into HU situations a lot, so i need to work on this.

Off to grind for a few hours and collect some data to study :)
    • Jezterscap
      Jezterscap
      Bronze
      This is what happens a lot in these games, 24 hands played 15/30.

So hard to win like this.
    • Jezterscap
      Jezterscap
      Bronze
      After some thought and research i have decided to play games in sets rather than continuous so i can focus more on endgame play.
      Before i played 10 tables continuous which in hindsight made my post bubble play weaker than it should be.
      Now i start a set of 12 tables and play them out untill the end. So far today i have seen a huge improvement with finish distribution but my volume has taken a hit.
      I might try to play 14 set games and see how it goes.