Wannabe-poker-player

• spadek
      spadek
      Bronze
      Hello for all! I've actually been a pokerstrategist for a quite long time by now, but i´ve never really introduced myself. Been mainly posting hands to the Finnish community forum and that´s it. Recently I checked out english community forums and I was impressed: so much more discussions and activity! Therefore I was inclined to introduce myself since I've really started to appreciate the community and it´s services.

I´m 22 years old student from Finland, majoring in business economics. Been playing poker over the years quite a lot but it was actually only last autumn when I started studying the game and trying to improve my game to win. About two years back I remember how fast I got rid of my starting capital only "playing for fun" or something like that.

Since the autumn I started out playing at Pokerstars NL2 tables with BSS-strategy. Got lucky and made my 5-buy-in bankroll efficient enough to move to NL5 and finally to NL10. For a quite long time I had this period that I played like a ton of hands nearly every day and didn't really try to improve my game at all. I was 12-tabling and playing pretty much ABC making huge mistakes and not trying to get rid of them. On NL5 it still worked out pretty well. Don´t really know why it got so hard on NL10 (maybe I was just steaming all the time and also a bit bored).

In addition I didn´t pick on any reads on my opponents nor I tried to get the better of them. My game was very mechanic and I guess I was kinda bored as well since the stakes felt really really small. I had absorbed completelly wrong philosophy to my game. I noted that every time I lost I might have gone to tilt but then again if I won it really didn´t make any difference since it was only like 20 bucks. I really could have identified myself as one of those "TAG-fishes" that are profiled in this strategy article: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1613/1/. Anyways played break-even for like 3 months over tens of thousands of hands and after that I decided that some changes has to be done.

Nowadays I'm making a lot of effort to improve especially my psychological skills in the game and making ways to exploit my opponents individually. Moreover I´m playing dramatically less hands and not nearly every day. Playing only few tables at NL25 and I enjoy it! I have a tremendous motivation to become a better player and I´m really optimistic when it comes to learning more about the game from this site!

Best of luck to everyone at the tables! Hopefully none of you will blow up MY bankroll! :D
  • 6 replies
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi spadek!

And Welcome to the English community!

Nice story! Thats a mistake I make as well. I crush one limit, stop learning, move up in stakes and then I feel I have no edge on the peeps.

It's nice that you found a new, fresh motivation to study and play poker! If you aren't motivated you can't focus on your A-game!

Maybe it's a good idea to start a blog? It will give us a change to follow up on your progress and it will help you to set goals and achieve them as well.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask us!

Best of luck on the tables!

RasTweet
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      cool, sounds like the limits mean nothing to you, which is a bad thing :( but you sound like you want to shake it up and try now.
    • spadek
      spadek
      Bronze
      Thank you RasTweet! I think it it could be worthwile and interesting to open a blog however I´m pretty busy at the moment so I don´t have that much time right now. But I will definetely consider about it in the near future as the semester ends!

And yeah definetely trying to shake things in my play. A lot of work to do and making a lot of effort not to readapt my former mindset. At the moment my biggest goal is just to get better not worrying about moving up the limits. :)
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Thats a serious Intro thread spadek!

Nice to meet you :D

It seems you have been following our BRM strictly and its paying off for you, how is it coming along in NL25 these days? I also agree with RasTweet, you need yourself a Blog! ;)

Although you seem to being doing well for yourself currently, we have a NL Beginner Course here, despite it saying "Beginner" there is so much you can learn from the course, it changed my whole style a few months back and I'm so glad I took it up. The course will allow you to interact with our coach, giving you access to his brain, watch him play, get some tips n tricks whilst also being pointed in the right direction of which Material to learn from, once you complete the course you will be well prepared for the NL Advanced Learning Path so that you can master the game!
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Hello and welcome :f_biggrin:
    • spadek
      spadek
      Bronze
      MattDenness thanks for the tip! I checked out the course and I will definetely get on it asap!