On a dry spell... What do you do?

• midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      So, I just registered at Full Tilt Poker and I have started building my bankroll. I built it up to $60 over the course of two days; I only played for maybe a total of 2-3 hours.

Then the next day, my cards were ALL trash. I mean, I played at least 200-300 straight and nothing. I continued to play, not mad or upset or anything, I just patiently waited for a good pair of cards. Another two and a half hours go by --still nothing.

My question to you guys here is, "What do you do when you are on a dry spell?" I mean, I just sat there and let the blinds slowly take away $15 from me because I couldn't even get one decent hand. (playing in the $0.05/0.10 NL tables by the way; the lowest at FTP)

Do you change up your strategy? Do you start bluffing a bit more? Or do you just sit there and continue to let the blinds eat away at your stack? I was incredibly patient, I don't even know how I played as long as I did. Am I doing something wrong?

I'd like some feedback, I'm up for constructive criticism...
  • 12 replies
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Open up more tables if you are bored, but yeah you should pracitce more "luck AA preflop" skill.

Actually there is nothing to do when you are card dead, if you are playing according to bankrollmanagement and SSS then you should be winning player in no time (well, it may take sometime).
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Hi midgetjay

If you playing according to the sss strategy and the bankrollmanagement you should have no problems becoming a winning player. Of course you can´t double up your bankroll within 2 days. You need to be patient.
      I would suggest that you post some samplehands in our forum to get some feedback from our handjudges.

--> post them here

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      I guess last night was just a bad night fellas. I'm getting playable cards now and I've won $4 so far. I guess I'll have to learn to wait out the storm. (I've also just released some bonus of $5 from out of the blue at FTP. Dunno what it's for... :D )

But one more question, for the Short Stack Strategy, do you follow the Starting Hand Chart exactly? Or can you be a bit flexible with it at times?...

For example, what if I'm dealt K-Js on the button and everyone else has folded to me. K-J isn't even on the chart of hands to play pre-flop, but given the situation, would it be wise to raise 4BB?
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      I would suggest to follow exactly the chart as a beginner. On higher limits you can play more flexible. But the chart is made out of a lot experience over a huge samplesize.
      --> Trust the chart! :D

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • MilttheTilt
      MilttheTilt
      Bronze
      Change gears. make a move. if u get shut out by other players then maybe try a new table or just take a break and get back at it when you feel ready. Lets not forget, poker is a people game, watch the people you are playing with and i'm sure you'll be able to pick up on their play...knowing that you can raise with KJ on the button. you don't want to be predictable. when you AA or KK you want some action do you not? i had the samething happen the other day but i just stayed at it and made some moves when i knew i could.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MilttheTilt
      Change gears. make a move. if u get shut out by other players then maybe try a new table or just take a break and get back at it when you feel ready. Lets not forget, poker is a people game, watch the people you are playing with and i'm sure you'll be able to pick up on their play...knowing that you can raise with KJ on the button. you don't want to be predictable. when you AA or KK you want some action do you not? i had the samething happen the other day but i just stayed at it and made some moves when i knew i could.
      this is not correct.
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Thanks for the feedback everyone! I guess I'll stick to the chart until I become experienced enough to make some of my own different decisions. (which won't be until like, 5 gazillion years!)

Purely out of curiosity though Caesar, how large was the sample size?

**prepares to be blown away**
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      I realy have no idea. But good decision to stick to the chart.
      Good luck and keep us informed.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      by the way, the rake at the NL10 tables on full tilt is twice as high as anywhere else, 10% instead of 5%
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kruppe
      by the way, the rake at the NL10 tables on full tilt is twice as high as anywhere else, 10% instead of 5%
      There's nothing I can do about that though huh? Until I move up to the next limit though... I want to become a solid player before I do that though.

Any suggestions to avoid the 10% rake? I know the Sit 'n Gos also have that .10 charge on the $1.00 buy-ins.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      oops, could have replied to this.
      i switched to sit 'n gos myself to avoid the NL10 rake. even with the 25% rake i think the $1 sit 'n gos are more profitable than NL10, but i suggest the $2 sit 'n gos, they are very profitable and shouldn't be too risky if you just play ultra-hyper tight until the blinds get relatively high.

but i assume this has become irrelevant by now :)
    • tehChipDonk
      tehChipDonk
      Bronze
      i like to throw a fit like hellmuth when im on a dry spell, just like last week, nothing was going right, monsters keep getting cracked, it was frustrating..........but the spell is off for this week so im glad =D