mobile internet dongles

• jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Have many ongoing problems with my internet at home and am looking at getting an internet dongle to have as a backup.

I live in the uk but would be willing to spend more if i could use the dongle around europe or the world..

Are there any without a max download limit? if not any big ones?
      Also speed and reliability are of the main importance

My overall budget would be 50+ pounds a month, again speed and reliability are the most important things..

anyone know of the perfect one for me? If not where to look?
  • 11 replies
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      I haven't been too bothered since I moved to Latvia..

When I lived in Sweden I had a dongle from Three that I was quite satisfied with though.

I had a quick look at their UK offerings and this one doesn't look too dreadful.

Three.co.uk Premium Dongle

Because it operates on the mobile network it should have very good coverage and reliability, speed I can't really comment, not being from the UK.

Edit: Since they also operate on SIM cards, and I know Sweden offers "day/week charge" for pay-as-you-go mobile dongles, I imagine it'd be possible with some effort to use abroad as well.
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      3 network is pretty good and they have some new cool dongal out, check their website

now i have a HTC wildfire s smartphone which is pay as you go with three,
      i pay £15 PCM and get unlimited internet and like 3000 texts and 500 mins calls.

on my phone i have wifi hotspot in settings so basically i turn it on and run my laptop from it, i have never had any connection problems with it and play 6 tables and run HM2, i would not have a problem using it to play poker everyday its that good

i reckon you can do this with every smartphone
    • eudodo
      eudodo
      Bronze
      Also heard from some players that network 3 and the dongle is pretty good and reliable, at least fro those who live in London - u need to find out if you can get a hot spot where you live.

btw
      I'm using Virgin internet for many years and really rarely have some problems - would recommend their broadband.
    • lodinn
      lodinn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nefarious26
      3 network is pretty good and they have some new cool dongal out, check their website

now i have a HTC wildfire s smartphone which is pay as you go with three,
      i pay £15 PCM and get unlimited internet and like 3000 texts and 500 mins calls.

on my phone i have wifi hotspot in settings so basically i turn it on and run my laptop from it, i have never had any connection problems with it and play 6 tables and run HM2, i would not have a problem using it to play poker everyday its that good

i reckon you can do this with every smartphone
      This. As long as you've got a decent smartphone there's no need for a dongle. Just make sure you don't run out of internet-volume :)
    • breena
      breena
      Bronze
      Yeah I use my smartphone as wifi hotspot to. At times I found it bit laggy but plugging it into the charger seems to boost the signal and Ive had no problems with it.

Hasnt disconected me yet. I think its really cool feature I did spend $100 bucks or so on a dongle in Australia, wish I had checked my phone first.

I bought a 3 one when I was in the hospital used it there for two weeks but it didnt work at my house so I took it back and they refunded me. They should do a check weather your area has coverage before they sell it to you
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I have horrible problems with my Internet in england. I think the wires in my house are really old and shitty which is why it keeps disconnecting when the phone rings and stuff.

I've recently been researching how to cure the problem and it seems that a DSL Splitter at the NID box (where the phone line comes into the house) could be the solution. NID Splitter DSL Splitter, not sure what the official name is actually.

My house is ancient so everything is ridiculous, but just a heads-up in case this might solve your problem and you don't need mobile internet. Apparantly a NID splitter is really cheap and should be easy to install if you have a normal /recent enough phone system.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Remember though that anything such as cabling and junctionboxes coming into the house are property of the telephine company usually and it is against there T&C to interfere with them; doing so could invalidate the T&C and they may even cut off your internet supply altogether.
      This also includes repairing or replacing the Master Junction box. Anythng after that is the householder's reponsiblity.

You may be a telephony professional though, so I apologize for pointing out the obvious if that is the case. :)

Regards,

Mal.
    • Arron63
      Arron63
      Bronze
      I'm currently using a dongle on the 3 network which is pay as you go. I paid £30 and it came with 1GB credit.

You can top up with these options:-
      £10-1GB
      £15-3GB
      £25-7GB

When you top up, you must use your credit within a month or it will expire. I don't think you can get any with an unlimited usage, well some claim they are, but actually have something like a 3GB cap limit :evil: .

Pay as you go is the best option in my opinion, as you can stop using it whenever you feel like + there are no extra costs.

Poker is superb on a dongle, it hardly uses any of your usage! :D
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      Or you can get 20gb off 3 on pay monthly for 20 euro.

pay as you go is shit.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Remember though that anything such as cabling and junctionboxes coming into the house are property of the telephine company usually and it is against there T&C to interfere with them; doing so could invalidate the T&C and they may even cut off your internet supply altogether.
      This also includes repairing or replacing the Master Junction box. Anythng after that is the householder's reponsiblity.

You may be a telephony professional though, so I apologize for pointing out the obvious if that is the case. :)

Regards,

Mal.

I checked this, rang them up to ask about it and they said I could change it myself at my own risk or call in a local engineer to do it if that is what I wanted.

Oh, I did not get this sorted yet because I am no longer in the UK :p Could provide more info If i'd actually done it :/
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      bit late posting I know but due to my work on constuction sites I use a dongle a lot for my laptop whilst out on site.

I have found that it is generally location dependent on which dongle I use, I tend to check all the different providers websites and put the postcode in to find out how good the signal is in that area.

I then just buy the 3 month package for that dongle which works out that im paying for internet but dongle comes free. When the time elapses I either top up if I need it for a month or so or buy another 3 month package depending how long I will be in that area.

Roo