[NL2-NL10] Zoom NL2 Overpair vs flop-raise.

• DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Cobrantartic (): $1.80
      Besadi (): $1.88
      paulsmash (): $1.53
      roxana1972 (): $0.97
      alikpv (): $3.19
      Jonperei (): $4.84
      Hero (): $2.12
      ertyu500 (): $3.36
      A.J.Gorbunov (): $1.18

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is with Q :heart: Q :diamond:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, 1 fold, A.J.Gorbunov calls $0.06, 3 folds

Flop: ($0.15) 8 :heart: 4 :club: 2 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.10, A.J.Gorbunov raises to $0.44, Hero ??????

Common situation vs an unknown on Zoom.

So, raising flop could well be Set, FD, or potentially a weird Straight draw and of course trash.

Often opponents like to play C/C C/R with Sets OOP but seem to prefer just raising them in position. I guess they also take the Call, Raise turn line on occasion though.

Now, my question is, in this relatively common spot, how should we play our overpair?

If we call, we have to play a guessing game on this and later streets and will likely have to call at least one extra bet. Calling flop and check/folding turn seems to be a bit like burning money but can we really expect a call flop, C/C blank turn and hope the flush does not fall on river in which case we have a choice of C/F or C/C if we assume villain can barrel.

If we raise we often isolate ourselves against better hands and potentially commit ourselves if he shoves.

Its certainly just easier to just give up on flop and we have less variance in the long run and in a tight game like zoom it definately seems like it could be the best option when full-stacked.

Thoughts anyone?
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DaPhunk,

Preflop: Raise 4xBB.

As played
      Postflop: Against his stack I would just ship it and get it in. He may easily have worse pairs/PPs/draws.

Best Regards.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello DaPhunk,

Preflop: Raise 4xBB.

As played
      Postflop: Against his stack I would just ship it and get it in. He may easily have worse pairs/PPs/draws.

Best Regards.

Why the insistence on 4bb? That is my raise size from EP, 3bb on MP and CO, depending on the information I have on the blinds either 2.5bb or 3bb on BU and SB. (or 4bb on SB given the right BB)

Postflop; Do you play differently against full-stack? How about if its 200bb deep?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Why the insistence on 4bb? That is my raise size from EP, 3bb on MP and CO, depending on the information I have on the blinds either 2.5bb or 3bb on BU and SB. (or 4bb on SB given the right BB)

Cause it's anyways NL2 and you mainly raise for value, you want value from them. Don't really see any reason why we should balance the EP/MP raises while you just raise for value there.

Postflop; Do you play differently against full-stack? How about if its 200bb deep?

Bet/Fold vs both while I played this way preflop just raising 6 cents and his raise is strong.