Strategy against good TAG players

• kavboj84
      kavboj84
      Gold
      Hi !

I would like to get some info about this topic, not just basic stuff like stealing the blinds more often, doing more bluffs, c/r-s, 3bets etc..., but a more detailed description with examples, videos or articles maybe (if there are any) about finding their leaks, what to pay attention for.
  • 7 replies
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Howdy,

There isn't much to say about TAGs. Once you've mastered the strategy, you just have to ask yourself where your game is weak. The same applies to such an opponent.

You can be aggressive, but choose your spots carefully. You can also attack TAGs' blinds, but be careful there, as well.

In general, when playing against a TAG you can say:

He isn't your opponent.
      Concentrate on the real fish.
      If there aren't any fish at the table, try your luck in other waters.

You can get a lot of good practice by playing against TAGs, especially against the weaker TAGs you will find in the lower limits. This is a good way to find weak spots in your own game and plug up all the leaks before you reach the higher limits, where you will find a lot more TAGs at the tables. All in all however, they are not your ideal opponents when it comes to making money.

When it comes to what strategy to follow, you could study the advice we give in our Gold-Strategy Section ( http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/fixed-limit/ ) and try to be the counterpart to this strategy. Our hand evaluation forums help you to confirm your read, as well as our live coachings can give you an understanding of the dynamics.
    • kavboj84
      kavboj84
      Gold
      Hi Sven,

The problem is that the higher you climb on stakes the more TAGs you confront at any table. I cant fold just because Im in pot with a TAG, so it is unavoidable to learn playing against them, and I guess that there must be a strategy for that. I even know the base concepts, I just want to dig deep in it, and need a more sophisticated answer, as they cause a lot of headaches for me.

I know about the articles in the FL gold section, however there is no word about this in em.

Are there any resources for leakfinding in FL ? I have seen only a few videos on NL leaks, but IDK how useful for FL those could be.
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      Hey Kavboj84, for leak finding you might check out leakbuster for Holdem manager.

Adjusting to certain player types is also sometimes tricky, but usually when you want to exploit certain player types you need to go beyond just calling them "TAG"s and find things about them that make groups or individuals different.

TAG's have different preflop tendencies. Statistically it takes a very long time to get a big enough sample (thousands of hands for positional stats). Postflop the burden becomes even larger.

It helps to get really good at developing reads. There are different ways of taking reads, but i find that breaking down exactly what player notes mean is helpful. When you think about how to adapt your play, consider how costly this adaptation is and compare it with standard lines.

Any conclusions that you come to about players with small samples will need to be tested and re-tested, however i think many players make a mistake here. Rather than just testing this read against your opponent, generalize it by testing it against other unknown TAGs who also give you a similar note. This helps us find ways of adapting more quickly which is good as long as we make more money by adapting.
    • RojoGrande
      RojoGrande
      Basic
      There is a proverb: When two tigers fight one is killed the other is mortally wounded.

In other words...Good players should stay away from each other and prey on the fish. It is where the money is in the first place.
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RojoGrande
      There is a proverb: When two tigers fight one is killed the other is mortally wounded.

In other words...Good players should stay away from each other and prey on the fish. It is where the money is in the first place.
      At higher stakes everyone is TAG.
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      How much higher??
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      One step higher from where everybody isn't a TAG.
      :coolface: