Buying a computer for poker

• petersveter
      petersveter
      Bronze
      Hi everyone

I am just about to buy a new computer for poker- a classic table PC not a notebook. I have around 700-800 Euros for this, but I have no idea what properties a good poker PC should have. I will appreciate any advice on how to choose and what things to look for when buying a poker PC.

*I play on party poker, and a lot of people complain about lags including me, so I want to make sure it will run fine with my HM1 and tableninja, even with full 18 tables. Also, I want to buy such a monitor so that I can have full 6 tables tiled on it, without having to change the size of the tables or overlaying. If anyone has such and playes on PartyPoker pls let me know :)

Thxx guys I will really use your help :s_grin:
  • 13 replies
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Find the biggest SSD you can afford and get one size bigger. Then find the largest amount of memory you can afford and get one upgrade bigger.

People always skimp way too much on those two important things.
    • petersveter
      petersveter
      Bronze
      any difference if I get a HDD instead of SSD? ?(
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by petersveter
      SSD is much faster

which means all the programs load and open much faster than from regular HDD
    • ilrasso
      ilrasso
      Bronze
      consider getting 2x monitor - it totally rocks.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Yes, depending on what HDD and what SSD you are comparing it could be 30 times slower. Plenty of low-end laptop still ship with 5400rpm HHDs and 7200rpm doesn't cut it for a modern hud/tracker.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      More like modern hud/trackers don't cut it for std HDDs
    • petersveter
      petersveter
      Bronze
      Hey guys I just few steps from finally buying a pc for poker. I got an offer which looks like this:

processor Intel® Core™i5-2500 processor, 3,30GHz,6MB,LGA1155 BOX

RAM 8GB . 1333MHz . CL 9,0 . Kingston (2x4GB)

SSd disk Kingston 120GB SSDNow V+ 200 Series SATA3, 2.5" Upgrade Bundle Kit Retail

and no grafick card as I will stay with one monitor for now- would you consider buying one either way?
      these are the main components. The whole pc costs 500 Eur without the tax.
      What do you think? Would you change anything?
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      SSD is most important.

then processor/ram/monitors.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lessthanthreee
      SSD is most important.

then ram/processor/monitors.
      fyp

and no grafick card as I will stay with one monitor for now- would you consider buying one either way?
      Just be aware that on-board graphics tends eat some of your main memory. With 8GB you shouldn't notice though.
    • mute20
      mute20
      Bronze
      Hey guys I just few steps from finally buying a pc for poker. I got an offer which looks like this:

processor Intel® Core™i5-2500 processor, 3,30GHz,6MB,LGA1155 BOX

RAM 8GB . 1333MHz . CL 9,0 . Kingston (2x4GB)

SSd disk Kingston 120GB SSDNow V+ 200 Series SATA3, 2.5" Upgrade Bundle Kit Retail

these are the main components. The whole pc costs 500 Eur without the tax.
      What do you think? Would you change anything?
      Ivey bridge(cpu) has come out so you might consider looking at the low end of that series. You probably won't need a 2500k either settling for a i3 would defiantly not hurt you to much considering you are only running site/program. Even on my q8300 ,which is a quadcore from 2 generations ago I have no lag from cpu all I lack is ram/hd. Also do not skimp on a shitty power supply. Antec/seasonic/corsair are top reliable brands. Buying a cheap trash box can damage your system. Also the power costs on a bad one will not pay for itself in a year for the extra 10-20 dollars you could save.
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      Im also considering buying a new laptop. What is SSD and what is it so important? Also, what is the minimum ram size and processor speed you recommend?

I run HEM1 with HUD and Pokerstars 4 zoom tables usually.
    • suitedaces1701
      suitedaces1701
      Platinum
      Originally posted by FlashDavin
      Im also considering buying a new laptop. What is SSD and what is it so important? Also, what is the minimum ram size and processor speed you recommend?

I run HEM1 with HUD and Pokerstars 4 zoom tables usually.
      I don't think I can be of much help but Ill give it a shot! I just bought (about 1-2 months ago) the 17" XPS (upgraded graphics card to nvidea 555m 3G/upgraded battery for graphics card/backlight). It has 8GB RAM and i7. It might be a little pricey but I got it on sale so I got it for $1350 including tax.

If you have the budget, I definitely recommend! I went from a laptop that lags majorly at 30 tables (180 mans) and now I can play like 45+ with this new laptop because there is ZERO lag (not saying that 45+ tables is profitable just yet :P )

Basically, I am not buying a desktop any time soon because this laptop is personally as good as it's going to get for a 19 year old. So if you have the budget, you can't go wrong with XPS ;)

I don't know what SSD is.

I also play SC2 at all highest settings so if you play, ADD ME UP
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      SSD = Solid State Drive

It is similar to hard drive. The difference is, that hard drives have moving (rotating) parts, which need to spin when you want to write or read data. SSD has no moving parts (it works similar to USB flash drives), so locating, reading and writing data is much faster.