Hooked on HU Hypers [Hands inside]

• DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Hey everyone,

Before I kick off this new blog, a small introduction. I've been very active on PokerStrategy since the day I joined. This was mostly in the Dutch community, where I have been a coach, video producer, hand judge and moderator for several years. Recently I decided to quit all those activities and became a more passive member.

However, I feel like becoming more active again and decided to do that in the English community. Some might know or remember me, but the majority of you won't. So a lot of new people to get to know.

And what is a better moment to start a new blog than with my 10.000th post!!

About my poker carreer: I started with SSS back in the old days up to NL100, then switched to NL SH Bigstack after a year and did that nicely up to NL400. But the swings were killing me and I decided to step back and been grinding NL100-200. Also been mixing it up with NL HU cashgames which went nicely as well. However, I tend to get bored quickly and can't really grind the same stuff for weeks. So I've been doing MTTs for fun and mostly combined that with some HU cash. But recently I got totally addicted to HU Hyper SNGs, a friend of mine introduced me to it as a way to improve my MTT play, but I love it so much that I just continued playing it.

So I've been playing this game now for 1,5 weeks I think and been hanging around the 30s mostly. Been watching some vids and reviewing my game but there is still alot to learn. That's also why I what I want to use this blog for, reviewing my game and hopefully get some interesting discussions going. Just for the record, played 1604 games so far, so I'm still very inexperienced, but always willing to learn.

So the main focus of this blog will be the HU Hypers, but I might throw in some other stuff because I still play some HU cash and MTTs. I won't be posting many graphs mainly because I don't want to be result-oriented.

That's it for now, feel free to ask any questions you have about me, poker, whatsoever!
  • 67 replies
    • KillBZ
      KillBZ
      Bronze
      Have fun and * Bolletje! * Kuip:)
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Will be following, i'm currently playing the HU Turbos on Stars.
    • xJCzZ
      xJCzZ
      Bronze
      Congrats on the 10k post that is quite a feat, really good history there I will be looking forward to your updates. :)
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Originally posted by KillBZ
      Have fun and * Bolletje! * Kuip:)
      :D

Originally posted by Wriggers
      Will be following, i'm currently playing the HU Turbos on Stars.
      I was thinking about trying the other forms of HU SNGs, but right now I only play those forms in MTT-form, which goes nicely as well. I might mix it up later on when I feel like playing some more post-flop.

Originally posted by xJCzZ
      Congrats on the 10k post that is quite a feat, really good history there I will be looking forward to your updates. :)

I just finished my session of 38 games after I've watched a video this morning. Watching video's always keeps me sharp during the game and keeps me inspired to try new things and think different about certain spots.

One guy was constantly rematching me, which I didn't mind cause he seemed to have a few leaks, but couldn't really beat variance. One hand was interesting because of what I did on the flop:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $20(BB) Replayer
      ($520)
      Hero ($480)

Dealt to Hero 5:club: 7:diamond:

Hero raises to $40, calls $20

FLOP ($80) 4:diamond: 7:club: 5:diamond:

checks, Hero bets $40, raises to $80,

Villain didn't really c/r a bunch, but I of course wouldn't mind stacking off with top 2 pair here. For some reason I decided that shoving would be a bit too much, so I made it 200. I think I should at least make it bigger or just shove straight away. First of all I'm not really happy with a rather big amount of turns, second of all I think my hand looks a lot stronger when I make it 200 instead of shoving straight away.

Hero raises to $200, calls $120

TURN ($480) 4:diamond: 7:club: 5:diamond: 3:spade:

So Villain just calls and the turn is rather ugly, but up to this point I'm also not sure what his range is right here. I suppose he would ship his (pair+)draw hands, but might just peel one off with a naked straight draw (which seems too thin as well). Since I didn't feel like getting away from this hand because there are still alot of draws and lower 2 pairs possible, I decided to ship it in anyway, knowing I still have 4 outs when he's got the 6.

checks, Hero bets $240 (AI), folds

Hero shows 5:club: 7:diamond:

Hero wins $480

So he fold and I still have no clue what hand he could have played like this... probably some horribly played pair+gutshot.

So another hand against the same guy, this was also played very early in the session, so no reads or whatsoever.

($480)
      Hero ($520)

Dealt to Hero J:heart: 7:heart:

FLOP ($80) T:club: J:diamond: T:diamond:

checks, Hero bets $40, raises to $80, Hero calls $40

I decide to just call his c/minr on this board since it can be anything really. I'm not that happy with my hand, but it's still TP.

TURN ($240) T:club: J:diamond: T:diamond: 4:diamond:

So this is where the hand becomes a bit awkward, he c/minraises flop and fires extremely low on the turn. I would think that most valuehands just want to bet bigger and get it in on the river, so his bet didn't really make much sense and I saw no reason to fold my Jack, even thought the flush draw arrived.

bets $40, Hero calls $40

RIVER ($320) T:club: J:diamond: T:diamond: 4:diamond: 8:spade:

Again a smallish beter from Villain, but right here I think I made the mistake and should just fold my hand. There is nothing in his range that I beat, because also as a bluff it doesn't make any sense considering the way he played that hand. I split at max with any other jack and lose from any flush, trips and some straight draw that got there on the river. But he managed to keep me in the pot with his low betsizing.

bets $80, Hero calls $80

Hero shows J:heart: 7:heart:
      (Pre 66%, Flop 10.2%, Turn 4.5%)

shows 4:heart: T:heart:
      (Pre 34%, Flop 89.8%, Turn 95.5%)

wins $480

Looking at his hand he should have bet the turn bigger and try to get it in on the river against my perceived range after my flop call.

This hand against another unknown guy.

NL Holdem $30(BB) Replayer
      ($475)
      Hero ($525)

Dealt to Hero Q:heart: 4:spade:

Hero raises to $60, calls $30

FLOP ($120) K:heart: T:spade: 5:diamond:

checks, Hero bets $48, calls $48

TURN ($216) K:heart: T:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:

checks, Hero checks

RIVER ($216) K:heart: T:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade: 4:diamond:

bets $367 (AI), Hero calls $367

Hero shows Q:heart: 4:spade:
      (Pre 32%, Flop 27.8%, Turn 12.5%)

shows 8:spade: Q:spade:
      (Pre 68%, Flop 72.2%, Turn 87.5%)

Hero wins $950

So this hand isn't very complicated I think, preflop and flop is standard. The turn I just check behind because it's far from a scarecard. On the river he suddenly jams and that made me think. Because I checked the turn behind I might look a bit weak, so first of all it doesn't make sense to overshove the river there, cause what am I gonna call here where he's getting value from? So for that reason I don't see so many valuehands in his range. Nobody would overshove Kx, Tx or any other pair here, but would just make a proper valuebet. He might have stumbled upon some 2pair hand, but that is unlikely and I also wouldn't expect an overshove. So I figured he would have a significant amount of bluffs in his range, trying to get me off my air. Unfortunately for him, my air rivered a pair, so I'll make the rivercall.

Last hand:

($450)
      Hero ($550)

Dealt to Hero 2:heart: J:club:

FLOP ($80) 7:spade: 9:club: T:club:

checks, Hero checks

I checked the flop behind because I think this board hits his calling range bigtime and I don't wanna waste my equity I've got with my gutshot and rather take a free card.

TURN ($80) 7:spade: 9:club: T:club: Q:diamond:

checks, Hero bets $40, calls $40

So here he checks again and I decide to fire because I'd expect him to lead out all his Qx, Tx and strong draws for value. When he calls I basically put him on some 9 or 7 with a gutshot or a 98 sort of hand.

RIVER ($160) 7:spade: 9:club: T:club: Q:diamond: A:club:

checks, Hero bets $80, folds

So when he checks into me again on the river, I presume he doesn't have an ace too often besides maybe A9, A8, A7. All higher aces would probably be 3bet preflop. A flushdraw he also doesn't have that often because my flop checkbehind would indicate I'm rather weak, so he'd definitely fire that on the turn. And even if I don't represent that much beside maybe a Qx, I think he'll have a very hard time calling 9x or 7x here.

Hero shows 2:heart: J:club:

Hero wins $160

That's it for now, if you got any feedback or thoughts about the hands, please share them with us!
    • daun666
      daun666
      Bronze
      Hey, gl with hypers. Will fallow.

1604 games in 1,5 weeks that is very solid volume but I would suggest 1 tabling while learning.

First hand just ship flop, there is many draws which are calling and villain could call there any pair because of draws. Also there is many scare cards on turn and he might fold some hands he would stack off otf.

And about that hand with Q4, yeah his line doesnt make any sense but be careful, fish loves slowplay some hands and when you check back turn they are afraid lose value and overbets or bets pot : D
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Originally posted by daun666
      Hey, gl with hypers. Will fallow.

1604 games in 1,5 weeks that is very solid volume but I would suggest 1 tabling while learning.

First hand just ship flop, there is many draws which are calling and villain could call there any pair because of draws. Also there is many scare cards on turn and he might fold some hands he would stack off otf.

And about that hand with Q4, yeah his line doesnt make any sense but be careful, fish loves slowplay some hands and when you check back turn they are afraid lose value and overbets or bets pot : D
      Valid points you make there.
      I started out with 1-tabling, then added another table. The reason for my volume was a week lockdown previous week, so that might explain it a bit. But you're right, I think I should mix up playing 1 and 2 tables. 1 table for learning more and better and 2 tables to make at least a bit of volume.

And I agree with you about the hands, should have shipped the 75 and the Q4 was indeed tricky, but I still think that nuts is just a small part of his range there.
    • Arjon
      Arjon
      Bronze
      Bolletje.

Nice initiative to start this blog. You might even inspire me as a HT addict to learn more about the DOs and DON'Ts of hypers.

It will probably also lead to a bunch of your Dutch fans moving from the NL to the EN community. Hi there EN community! ^^
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Already on the 2nd page, goes alot quicker here with the blogs :D

Been playing a few games today, been a bit weird day though. Got coolered from hand 1 on, but managed to win all my 30/70 situations, or at least alot of them. So I'm not really satisfied with getting it in worse all the time, but it were standard situations most of the time.

Haven't looked at my graph yet today, so I'm kina proud of that. My goal is to look only once a day and definitely not during a session. One funny hand, where I misclicked the turn, but did get maximum value:

Hero ($540)
      ($460)

Dealt to Hero K:club: 9:heart:

raises to $40, Hero calls $20

FLOP ($80) Q:spade: K:diamond: 3:diamond:

Hero checks, checks

TURN ($80) Q:spade: K:diamond: 3:diamond: 2:club:

Hero checks, bets $40, Hero raises to $100, raises to $420 (AI), Hero calls $320

RIVER ($920) Q:spade: K:diamond: 3:diamond: 2:club: 7:diamond:

shows J:spade: 9:diamond:
      (Pre 28%, Flop 20.6%, Turn 9.1%)

Hero shows K:club: 9:heart:
      (Pre 72%, Flop 79.4%, Turn 90.9%)

Hero wins $920

Of course I wanted to lead the turn, but this wasn't that bad after all ^.^

One more hand that I thought was interesting:

Hero ($460)
      ($540)

Dealt to Hero Q:heart: K:club:

calls $10, Hero raises to $60, calls $40

FLOP ($120) 4:club: 7:club: 2:diamond:

Hero bets $60, calls $60

TURN ($240) 4:club: 7:club: 2:diamond: 7:spade:

Hero checks, bets $120, Hero raises to $340 (AI), folds

Hero shows Q:heart: K:club:

Hero wins $480

We only played 5 hands in total, so don't know anything about the guy really. I didn't really think his limp/calling range would hit this flop bigtime, so when he calls the flop and bets out on the turn, I don't expect him to have a pair so often. 7x is unlikely since the turn paired the seven and also his betsizing makes not much sense on a 7. More like some random 2 overcards. He won't really have a 2x often here, maybe a 4x and I don't expect him to fold that on a shove. But I think my overs are good most of the time and I also think he can float this flop alot.

But still not sure if this is ok vs an unknown, any more thoughts about it?
    • KillBZ
      KillBZ
      Bronze
      Still first page tho,
      But i will make it your second page;)
      I was just wondering when you were going to update haha.

Lol @ QK hand hehe:)
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Still first page tho,

I meant the 2nd page of the blog-section :facepalm:
    • Arjon
      Arjon
      Bronze
      Facepalmaments killbz!

I personally don't like the check/shove there with KQ, mostly because I never see him fold there, although your line represents a very strong hand. That he folds is pretty sick imo, but I guess the question is whether there are other good lines. The only other one I can think of is a passive check on the flop.

Is it by the way usual to cbet on the flop in HU hypers?

If there's anything I'm bad at it's HU play, so pls don't blame me for saying silly things :D
    • KillBZ
      KillBZ
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DeKuip
      Still first page tho,

I meant the 2nd page of the blog-section :facepalm:
      Lol only read the first part of the sentence, after that i became bored :coolface:
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Hey man, good to see another hyperturbo HU blog around, will definitely be following.
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bjela
      Hey man, good to see another hyperturbo HU blog around, will definitely be following.
      Nice, dropped by in yours as well :)
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      I'm slowly improving my game step by step. Before I was a bit too scared to minraise with ~10bb stacks, because I didn't feel like folding on a shove because that would be a waste of valuable 2bb. But my play in those ~10bb raise/fold stages is improving and I play much more comfortable in those spots. Still find it a bit hard to figure out right raise/fold and raise/call ranges against aggresive players.

Also players who call alot with only ~10bb annoy me, because I'm often not sure what to do on the flop when I miss, especially when they don't often fold on cbets. It usually results in more push/fold action preflop and some limping.

Also want to include more limps in my game, because I noticed alot of players shoving on limps with hands they would normally fold on a raise. So I'm gonna try and work on that to balance my game more and make it more difficult for Villain to play me.

One funny hand, because I was a bit sad of not hitting one of my flush outs nor a 7 on the river. Was a bit surprised when the rematch-window popped up :D

($490)
      Hero ($510)

Dealt to Hero Q:diamond: 7:diamond:

FLOP ($80) 6:diamond: 6:spade: Q:club:

checks, Hero bets $32, raises to $80, Hero raises to $128, calls $48

TURN ($336) 6:diamond: 6:spade: Q:club: T:diamond:

bets $120, Hero raises to $342 (AI), calls $202 (AI)

RIVER ($980) 6:diamond: 6:spade: Q:club: T:diamond: T:heart:

Hero shows Q:diamond: 7:diamond:
      (Pre 61%, Flop 62.1%, Turn 67.0%)

shows 4:spade: Q:spade:
      (Pre 39%, Flop 37.9%, Turn 33.0%)

Hero wins $980
      Bronze
      HOI

Why do you 3bet the flop sir? You cant possibly think you are ahead of his valuerange.
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 09024875
      HOI
      HOI!

Originally posted by 09024875
      Why do you 3bet the flop sir? You cant possibly think you are ahead of his valuerange.
      That's why I 3bet instead of shove. I don't mind stacking off right here, because c/raises are very often bluffs on such a board. So he can have any Qx, any 6x and quite a lot of random bluffs, which I think might be around 50-60% of his range. Also think he might just c/c some Qx here. So with shoving I just get it in against any Qx and 6x and I fold out his bluffs. So decided to click it back, hoping he would shove (won't be the first time someone would do that with air...).

Calling is also a fine possibility, but my hand might play a bit hard because he can probably get himself 2 freecards and I don't really want that.

Think there are many possible lines here to take, but still trying to figure out the best way to play these situations. But since they won't expect me to 3bet many valuehands here and 3betting keeps more bluffs in my range, I thought it might confuse/induce.

About my session I just finished, managed to reach the 40/80 level for the first time in my life. And we didn't even disconnect or play slow, I think we played 72 hands in total in 1 game. Did lose it because of some runbad in the end, but oh well..
    • Arjon
      Arjon
      Bronze
      You still didn't answer my questions :(
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Then stop editing your posts :facepalm:

Originally posted by Arjon
      I personally don't like the check/shove there with KQ, mostly because I never see him fold there, although your line represents a very strong hand. That he folds is pretty sick imo, but I guess the question is whether there are other good lines. The only other one I can think of is a passive check on the flop.
      Why wouldn't he fold a random hand J5?

Is it by the way usual to cbet on the flop in HU hypers?
      Ya, imo it's the best way to figure out how your opponent plays. So against unknowns I cbet like 80% I think.

If there's anything I'm bad at it's HU play, so pls don't blame me for saying silly things :D
      Ok, I won't blame you.