downswing

• TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      20 days ago I hit 1900$ and took up 2-4$, a few days ago hit 2K after amazingly horrible luck for 3 weeks now after another day of bad beats im on 1400$ thats including about 450$+ from bonuses and rakeback so around 1K lost in 2-4 mirroring my switch to .5/1$ when I lost half my bankroll. Today alone I've lost 110BB (440$).

So fucking ridiculous.

I am so close to switching to NL or tournaments where it's actually possible to protect your hand.
  • 14 replies
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Silver
      sadly, being able to protect your hand doesn't change the statistical possibility of your opponent sucking out on you.

unlucky alex, halfway along to feeling how i feel :( .
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Move down to 1/2 or even 0.5/1 and work your way up again. Especially when you have bonuses and rakeback you will be back at your old level pretty soon :)

Moving back shouldn't be seen as a loss, but as a victory. It's the best way to get your confidence back and you won't go broke this way.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hey TerrorBlade,

Sad to hear you have a downswing, but you reaction to it is actually something more important.
      Ups and downs are part of the context of any poker game and dealing with them is something you should really work on.
      You put some effort to develop as a poker player and giving up after first real failure (which actually isn't a failure at all)
      Take one step back, reevaluate your knowledge, your approach. There is always things that can be done better, especially in poker, where success factor has so many variables...

Take a break, refresh theoretical knowledge, study new concepts.
      Table selection is becoming more important, get some software for that.

I am so close to switching to NL or tournaments where it's actually possible to protect your hand.

Prepare to face some real variance before you do that

Good luck
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      The freefall continues "Prepare to face some real variance" I seriously doubt NL could have much worse than this, my 2-4 is the equivalent of losing 24 stacks using a 30 stack BRM (BSS stacks).

Also for the record this isn't my first downswing when I first switched to variancehand FL I lost over half my bankroll, I never gave up and somehow recovered so here's hoping it'll end soon :)

Graph of 1-2$

Graph of 2-4$

I play both limits simultaneously so I can't be playing one worse than the other.

Freakin' 400BB down =(( I guess I have to stick exclusively to 1-2 now as my BR is ~1350 for my rakefree days which I'm starting on monday, that'll provide a much needed offset to this disgusting 2 month stretch!

Wish me luck guys so I can maybe make 3-6 or higher by the end of the year :D

After all, it would be far too easy if I never got any downswings.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Silver
      a thought is to play each limit separately. like have a session on 2/4, then if you feel like playing 1/2, then have a session on that.

cause 2/4 from what i hear is a lot more aggressive... so there's a difference in playing styles for you to play against, so...
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      a thought is to play each limit separately. like have a session on 2/4, then if you feel like playing 1/2, then have a session on that.

cause 2/4 from what i hear is a lot more aggressive... so there's a difference in playing styles for you to play against, so...
      i agree with that, I tend to alternate between NL50 and NL100 depending on how confident I feel and how good the games are. The only time I mixed both limits it didn't lead to a good result, as I was being overaggro at NL50 and overnitty @NL100 ?(

anyway gl with your recovery, I've had my 20buy-ins downswing not that long ago and it sucks, but boy do you enjoy the susbsequent upswing :P
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Here's the good ole update...

No this is not a joke, in the past 2 days ive gone from an absolute low of 950$ to 3200$, running extremely well + 400$ a day from the 2 rakefree days used so far.... Let this be an example to all who are undergoing mass bad luck!
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      sick! nice hot run, hope it continues :)
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Lol at the graph going to the left ^^
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      400BB down is pretty sick imo since from what ive seen u are a pretty decent player. I myself dont feel so unlucky anymore with my 115BB downswing atm hehe. Nice upswing btw...i hope mine will come to sometime near now as this is getting really fucked up (losing bets all the time that is :P )
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      sick run !!
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      140BB down allready :/ when is it going to stop!!
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      /me envy
    • DrFunk
      DrFunk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Yoghi
      Lol at the graph going to the left ^^
      Seriously...WTF?