PokerStars Blocks PTR [with replies from Lee Jones of PokerStars]

• ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      Well it is official, finally a card room has the spine to stand up to sites like this. Hopefully more follow.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/news/world-of-poker/58733/

For those of you who don't know, PTR is a disgusting site that puts players stats up for all to see and I am sure you have seen people at tables get bashed over not being winning players and getting their losses thrown in their faces.

Pokerstars have now gotten ptr to remove the stats of all their players off the site, so at least one room is starting crack down on sites like this

There are others tracker sites out there, but hopefully this is the first of many to be blocked. Sites like this destroy new peoples confidence if they are loosing and is bad for the game. It also changes style of play on tables.

What do you all think, are you happy stars has started to clamp down or angry you can't scan people on that particular site anymore to see how they play ??
  • 16 replies
    • Kingklonk
      Kingklonk
      Bronze
      HI,
      I dont care, but in my case my numbers was big wrong on PTR. I was a winner 2/BB 100 but PTR shown me as a big loser then i think it is even worse. It show me like -5K wrong in 60 k hands. So if not numbers are correct then i think for sure they should close down. I like stats and HM etc becouse then we players have control over the game.Otherwise we dont know if sites cheats so i think its important to know who is winner and looser. + HM2 and similiar program makes poker more complicated. Before HUD poepl only know he is tight or loose and write som notes today is the game so much more complicated u cant just play tight and win anymore.
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      I believe it's a very positive thing.

In my opinion it's not all about the ability to track peoples stats on their website.

When sites don't allow you to use hand histories for hands you have not played personally, do you believe it's really acceptable that sites datamine their traffic and sell hand histories to players?
    • sridneel
      sridneel
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fruktpuff
      I believe it's a very positive thing.

In my opinion it's not all about the ability to track peoples stats on their website.

When sites don't allow you to use hand histories for hands you have not played personally, do you believe it's really acceptable that sites datamine their traffic and sell hand histories to players?
      i agree...it is a very good news!
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I like. if all sites like that would get removed reggish people could go back to dreaming of making 100k/yr @NL50 and losing players wouldn't have to be embarrassed to play anymore since no one will know how much they're down and won't berate them by quoting their results.
    • LeeJonesPokerStars
      LeeJonesPokerStars
      Bronze
      Hi folks -
      I think PokerStrategy may be posting a more complete statement in the news section here. However, in the meantime, I'll just say that we're very happy that PTR has agreed to remove the profiles of all PokerStars players from their product offering.

We think this is good for everybody and believe that the online poker world has turned an important corner.

As I said, I think there may be a larger news item coming later, but we'll definitely stay in touch.

Best regards,
      Lee Jones
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Overall, I think this is definitely a good thing.

However, let's not forget that PTR has been very influential in catching cheats and exposing security risks.

The part of PTR that I really object to is the sale of datamined hands and their HUD which definitely gives an unfair advantage.

I also hope Pokerstars will allow people to "opt in" to certain PTR stats in a similar way to Sharkscope.
    • LeeJonesPokerStars
      LeeJonesPokerStars
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JonikoP

[...]

I also hope Pokerstars will allow people to "opt in" to certain PTR stats in a similar way to Sharkscope.
      We've said all along that people are welcome to opt in to such programs; our position on that hasn't changed. We just strongly believe it's wrong for them to collect stats from players who don't want to be tracked (or don't even know they're being tracked).

Regards,
      Lee Jones
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      Will pokerstars hopefully be going after the other tracker websites that take our stats without permission ???

:f_biggrin:
    • mil1000
      mil1000
      Bronze
      I'd like to know what is PokerStars doing against data mining.

PTR sells this product, are they going to stop?
      And what about all the other sellers?

What PokerStars achieved today is really simple: once you can't make it stop (data mining) you just closed a legitimate way that players who don't buy hands had to fight it back.

And I'm saying that even not being player on PokerStars anymore (one time you won't let me affiliate my account to PStrategy).
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      But they did stop data mining :f_p: ptr do not sell data mined hands on their site anymore or display stats of players on pokerstars.

But lets hope they stop the other sites selling data and displaying our stats.
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LeeJonesPokerStars
      Hi folks -
      I think PokerStrategy may be posting a more complete statement in the news section here. However, in the meantime, I'll just say that we're very happy that PTR has agreed to remove the profiles of all PokerStars players from their product offering.

We think this is good for everybody and believe that the online poker world has turned an important corner.

As I said, I think there may be a larger news item coming later, but we'll definitely stay in touch.

Best regards,
      Lee Jones
      Hey Lee, thanks for stopping by.

@ everyone: the full official statement from PokerStars can be found in the updated news that I took the liberty of editing into the OP.

I'd also like to say from my own personal opinion that this is a great move by PokerStars, down with datamining!

To be impartial and play Devil's advocate, I should note that PTR have caught bots/cheating at poker sites before so they aren't all bad.
    • William340
      William340
      Bronze
      what do people think about the ability to check stats/results on other players in general, while NOT purchasing hand histories?

when I look up players on PTR, I am mostly curious on their longterm results, if they have moved down (or up) in stakes and if my data sample is representative.

it also let me see that some guys simply "weren't around anymore".
      either quit the site, quit poker, ran out of $$ temporarily, or were taking a break.

I also wanted to "check up on" some of the regs I was seeing at every open table.

I'm a recreational player, and I don't really care who looks at my results.
      I do believe that buying hand histories is unethical and, if not "cheating", certainly angle shooting.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      this is amazing :)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Seems like poker edge doesn't support pokerstars anymore either. :f_biggrin:
    • samson11
      samson11
      Bronze
      I think it's great news for online poker as a whole, as it certainly gave an unfair advantage to those who could access this information. A fact I doubt, would entice many new players to join the online poker world. Of course in my opinion its now a question of closing the gate after the horse has left.
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      is this ban actually doing anything though?

arent PTR still able to datamine and sell hands? just not advertise players data?

what about the other datamining sites?

Isnt possible to just make hand histories unviewable for observers?