What to make out of this read on a multitabler?

Bronze
      I am trying to improve my note-taking and how to utilize information on strange lines that I have seen made by villains, so I was just wondering, how could this particular note help me?

I write my notes down as suggested in this article: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1587/1/

I hope you will understand:

BB CC <> MS CO 2.5x or, KQ3s 6 9, F ch/r (2/3 PS), T ch/c <> 2/3 b, R ch/f <> 1/8 PS pAI

Is there anything I can learn from this note?

The reason I ask this because I think I might be spending too much time on taking irrelevant notes. It is NL10, afterall.
  • 10 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey Avatars,

Personally I feel such notes are useless.

Imo, the way to take notes is NOT to write the action. That is not a useful note in 90% of cases. If while playing you note the exact action you must revise the note afterwards and figure out what that tells you.

Here's an example of noting action and what it actually tells you afterwards:

1. oR CO 3x, c/c 2 streets A78r2r, check river K with ATo.
      2. Bluffcatch 2 streets OOP with mediocre TP as PFR on dry board.

You can even take it further and say "Bluffcatch F and T OOP as PFR". It's clear that he bluffcatches with a bluffcatcher which is a mediocre hand. The more you play the better you define that mediocre hand range he could have and you won't need a note to define it like in the initial example.

I used to do "action" notes a lot as well, then I stopped taking notes all together and now I only take notes that can really help me in play. After some time you won't even need these basic notes because you'll notice it as default play of most opponents. Hope it helps!

Regards,
      Manu.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well this ''note'' looks to me like some sort of advanced math equation. If you can make out anything from this note then your pretty much a genius lol.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      That looked alien to me.

Guess that means I need to take more constructive notes :D
      Bronze
      By not using action notes, do we not sometimes miss important details? For example, a "dry board" and a "wet board" is a bit too general in most cases as there might be some important nuances.

Also, how do you make your notes when and if you see that villain actually balances his lines, e.g. in the example you gave, villain suddenly check calls 2 streets with a monster. How do you track such changes?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      If you are capable of reading 10 action notes and making out what the best action against a villain is in the 1 minute you have to act including time bank, then great!

By noting what the action tells you, you should be able to get to the conclusion faster. Think of it as going from A -> B -> C or start from B. You save yourself a step imo.

If a villain balances his line it doesn't matter what you do because you will never exploit him and will not exploit you either. I doubt anyone balances lines on NL50 and below anyway so don't worry about that. If anything they will be unbalanced but skewed to the "non-standard". Betting air, checking nuts, shoving made hands, raising small with draws, etc.
      Bronze
      Thanks for convincing me regarding this problem! It will save a lot of my time.

One quick question, though: is there really nothing I can learn from that note about villain that I posted before?

BB CC <> MS CO 2.5x or, KQ3s 6 9, F ch/r (2/3 PS), T ch/c <> 2/3 b, R ch/f <> 1/8 PS pAI

He check raises flop then check/calls turn with his opponent having next to no stack left and then he just check/folds the river. It looks like such a strange play and knowing that he is a multitabler there might be something that I can learn from it.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hmmm...

KQ3s69 (3 to a flush on flop?).

Very strange play indeed. What first comes to mind is that BB might not be able to pay enough attention to stack sizes.

C/r flop in this situation can be flush, 33, KQ, pair + FD, sometimes random air.

When he c/c turn instead of c/shove or continue himself I think his range is weighted towards pair + FD that doesn't want to let go since the FD might be good and folds on the river because he didn't notice stack sizes or figured his 77 with FD or AJ with one suit is never good.

Note I would make is: c/r flop, c/c turn with weak range, give up river.

I know how that weak range of his would look since I assigned it without any note. Some "notes" just have to be in your head. They get there with practice! :)

Hope it helps!

PS: In case it was just 2 suited cards on the flop, the analisys doesn't change much, just that he can have a few naked flush draws like 78s, 89s, etc.
      Bronze
      c/r flop, c/c turn with weak range, give up river

Say you make this note. How do you utilize it later on when playing against him? How do you change your game against him?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      c/r flop, c/c turn with weak range, give up river

Say you make this note. How do you utilize it later on when playing against him? How do you change your game against him?
      I cbet/call depolarized range. I won't ever think of folding to same sizing raise with TP, else I don't bet it.

He raises, I call and use the turn info I have on him that he checks when weak. I also float equity hands a lot vs him since I know he gives up and I can bluff him off on turn and river.
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot for your thoughts!